Triple-purpose JK Build

jsmoriss

Explorer
chuck45 said:
Another, cheaper, way to go on clamp rings is to go to McMcaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com. Search for Two-Piece Clamp-On Shaft Collars or go to page 1136. I just bought four 1 3/4" two piece collars for 10.62 a piece. They don't have all those extra holes drilled in them (which for me is a plus) and they have all kinds of sizes available. I ordered the 18th, they shipped the 19th and arrived today. They're good folks to deal with on all kinds of odd stuff that you know exists somewhere.

So NOW you tell me! <grin> Thanks for the info -- I'll definitely check those out next time. I was working on the tire carrier today, and figured the axe will fit nicely behind the tire, while the shovel will go on the roof rack, above my 3rd brake light. I'm painting the clamps, etc., flat black, so it'll be another few days before I put them on.

Thanks,
js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Fixing the Expedition One rear tire carrier...

While assembling the Expedition One tire carrier mount, I noticed the retaining nut and washer did not contact the top bearing assembly. That issue has been on the back burner for a while now, and today I decided to re-visit the problem.

I'd already re-tightened the carrier twice, and during today's inspection, I found the top bearing assembly had gotten squished a bit because of the strain. You can see how off-center the mount is on this picture:

20081130-093024-lx2-40101.jpg

And here's what had been bugging me for a while now:

20081130-093742-lx2-40103.jpg

If I flip that top bearing assembly around, the washer rests against the bearing assembly, but leaves a gap between the outer race and the carrier, so the carrier flops around. This way the carrier doesn't flop around, but that washer doesn't do anything, and the bearing assemblies are only contacting the lower half of the carrier's sleeve, so it's not the strongest design. According to the instructions, that top bearing assembly is also supposed to go on AFTER the carrier is installed, but I've found the carrier goes on just fine with both bearing assemblies already installed. This also means there's nothing holding the tire carrier on except it's own weight (and a weak connection to the door)!

All of this has me wondering if that top bearing assembly isn't the wrong size... I've sent Expedition One an e-mail, so we'll see what they say. The worse case scenario I see is that I'll have to get some custom bushings made to replace those bearing assemblies.

This investigation is also in preparation for mounting AT's jerry can holder on the carrier between the tire and pivot point. So I have to address this issue before adding all that weight. :)

js.

chuck45

Observer
jsmoriss said:
While assembling the Expedition One tire carrier mount, I noticed the retaining nut and washer did not contact the top bearing assembly. That issue has been on the back burner for a while now, and today I decided to re-visit the problem.

I'd already re-tightened the carrier twice, and during today's inspection, I found the top bearing assembly had gotten squished a bit because of the strain. You can see how off-center the mount is on this picture:

If I flip that top bearing assembly around, the washer rests against the bearing assembly, but leaves a gap between the outer race and the carrier, so the carrier flops around. This way the carrier doesn't flop around, but that washer doesn't do anything, and the bearing assemblies are only contacting the lower half of the carrier's sleeve, so it's not the strongest design. According to the instructions, that top bearing assembly is also supposed to go on AFTER the carrier is installed, but I've found the carrier goes on just fine with both bearing assemblies already installed. This also means there's nothing holding the tire carrier on except it's own weight (and a weak connection to the door)!

All of this has me wondering if that top bearing assembly isn't the wrong size... I've sent Expedition One an e-mail, so we'll see what they say. The worse case scenario I see is that I'll have to get some custom bushings made to replace those bearing assemblies.

This investigation is also in preparation for mounting AT's jerry can holder on the carrier between the tire and pivot point. So I have to address this issue before adding all that weight. :)

js.

Hmm, that is a design I've never seen before! I think they may have gotten too clever by half. I have a RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier. I wanted to fabricate something that could carry four gas/water cans and my PullPal bar and plow. So Lewis at RockHard sold me just the 2x3 bottom bar of the swing away carrier so I could start from there. At any rate he uses a solid 1.25" bar (straight - not tapered like your pic) welded at the bumper, extending below the bumper and braced below. The arm pivot uses a more conventional mount with pressed in opposing races at top and bottom such that tightening the top nut centers everything and holds the arm in place.

It looks to me like the design of yours is fatally flawed or you are missing some parts. I'd contact them and find out what is going on.

jsmoriss

Explorer
chuck45 said:
It looks to me like the design of yours is fatally flawed or you are missing some parts. I'd contact them and find out what is going on.

Expedition One just wrote back and said I'm missing the top race, which they say probably fell out during powder coat.

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
jsmoriss said:
Expedition One just wrote back and said I'm missing the top race, which they say probably fell out during powder coat.

I guess an update on this is warranted. It turns out I'm missing both the top and bottom races. I also asked Expedition One to send me new bearing cones, but they asked that I take the carrier apart again and _prove_ that my bearings were worn / damaged!

I finally managed to get some part numbers from them, and it turns out the top race is $3.50 retail, and the top bearing cone is $7.00 retail. Now I'm pushing to get all 5 part numbers from them (top/bottom race/bearing, and grease seal) and will order all five online. It'll be faster and a whole lot less frustrating.

js.

chuck45

Observer
jsmoriss said:
I guess an update on this is warranted. It turns out I'm missing both the top and bottom races. I also asked Expedition One to send me new bearing cones, but they asked that I take the carrier apart again and _prove_ that my bearings were worn / damaged!

I finally managed to get some part numbers from them, and it turns out the top race is $3.50 retail, and the top bearing cone is $7.00 retail. Now I'm pushing to get all 5 part numbers from them (top/bottom race/bearing, and grease seal) and will order all five online. It'll be faster and a whole lot less frustrating.

js.

Thats pretty poor customer service; especially in this day of blogs and forums. But then I was already wondering about the previous post: "Expedition One just wrote back and said I'm missing the top race, which they say probably fell out during powder coat." What was it doing installed during the powder coating? They may have some process issues. It sounds like for twenty bucks they could have taken care of you but they decided to take a pass.

jsmoriss

Explorer
chuck45 said:
It sounds like for twenty bucks they could have taken care of you but they decided to take a pass.

Yup.

My wife has a friend who manages a large service department. Her favorite saying is "How much will it cost to make the customer happy?". There's no right/wrong here, just price & customer happiness.

Personally, I would have sent a letter to each customer explaining the potential problem. Something like "Did you install your bearing cones like this? If so, contact us." Then I'd send them 2 races, 2 bearing cones, and a grease seal with instructions. Done - customer happy with minimal fuss and cost.

Jerking customers around for a few bucks when their own fault, is just shooting yourself in the foot. It makes them sound like the bottom-line is more important than the customer, and that's always a mistake.

js.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
They just forgot to reinstall the races after powder-coating. Oooops.
Man, that must've been a sloppy fit....

VE2WHZ

Adventurer
very nice jeep JS

is possible to ride on next summer with you
on expedition ???

i planed few exped on jeep
i live in abitibi ...

Pascal

jsmoriss

Explorer
Expedition One bumber update...

So Expedition One finally came through and is sending me both races, both bearing cones and the grease seal. I'm looking forward to fixing the carrier and seeing just how sturdy it's supposed to be. :) All the sordid details are here:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=63515

I'm looking forward to getting that AT jerry can holder and figuring out the mount. A few weeks back we went to visit some friends in the country and almost ran out of gas! Did I mention my wife was driving? :coffeedrink:

js.

VE2WHZ

Adventurer
Hi JS

i recive my jerry canne form pjf4x4 today

and i planed to buil one carrier for it

jerrycan_2.jpg

GJC003aleis.jpg

i like this 2 model ???

if possble to make one holder for you ???

Pascal

jsmoriss

Explorer
Spring in the air? Woohoo!

We've had a small taste of Spring today, so my father-in-law came over and we started working on the backup battery panel again.

20090307-165522-lx2-40367.jpg

We're working off this diagram that we made last year.

20080915-145510-lx2-30824.jpg

I'm also working on an LCD rear-view mirror and some cameras with Rod from TotalVision. I've finished the LCD mount, but still have to glue/bolt it onto the LCD. The second battery, with it's panel & fused circuits, etc. is the base for a number of things (laptop, cameras, trailer plug, etc.) so we have to get that project done first. If the weather holds up, maybe we'll drill some holes through the firewall for some battery bulkheads...

js.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan