Truck guns?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Single shot rifles appeal to me. They're just fun to mess around with and marksman ship is more important when you don't have any back-up shots. One of my part-time truck guns is a New England Arms Sportster model with the bull barrel in .17HMR. It's my chuck and varmint plinker. My Deer Season truck gun is a CVA Optima inline .50 CAL muzzle-loader 'cause its just fun to shoot, is dead on accurate and you just have to slip in a percussion cap and she's good to go. Much easier than filling the frizzen pan of my long gun when I'm in a hurry. But niether ride in the truck all the time like the shotgun does.

barlowrs

Explorer
AR-7 (Henry Survival Rifle):

k97108_Henry%2022.jpg

58568.jpg

Or M6 (.22 over, 410 under):

m6-survival-rifle.jpg

Or Savage 24C (Everythign from .22 over, 410 under to 30-30 over 12 gage under):

Savage%2024%2022's%20Comparison.jpg

baca327

Adventurer
For me its a collapsible pistol grip stock maverick 12g with a side saddle, its just a mossberg 500 just cheaper and in NM a folding stock AK very cheap reliable and compact.

Last edited:

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
I guess my definition of a truck gun is different those most of what's being posted here. I wouldn't call the ones posted truck guns but Personal Defense and "Look at Me" Guns. We don't consider our truck guns to be for defense but for takin' game. This is more in line in what is traditionally held to be a truck gun in our patch of the boonies...

Though I would add....

3) Something ready to take whatever game is in season when you stumble across it.
4) Something reliable and capable of taking abuse
5) Something not for a full day of hunting, but available when you find the need for it
6) Something that if it gets stolen isn't going to cost and arm and a leg to replace or tear you up with the loss of memories it gave you.

Mine is an old 870, bought real cheap years ago and it now rides around in the truck. It is always ready to dispatch a tasty morsel that I might come across. In it's case are a few different choke tubes if I want to change up the pattern. There's a couple of boxes of shells in the truck from game loads, turkey loads, and some slugs for larger critters. Come fall a couple of boxes of steel shot end up in the truck when the ducks and geese are flying.

This old gun has taken everything from squirrels, rabbits, game bird, turkeys to geese, ducks and swans. Never taken a deer 'cause in hunting season the "Deer Truck Gun" gets the call for that. It's well used, shot a ton of critters, gets limited care and is always dependable when the time comes for it to shine. It ain't black, doesn't have any fancy sights, got an old faded camo paint stock but it's a hell of a good Truck Gun.

im with you you cant beat a old 870..she ends up in the rig often..but pistols are easier in the fj ..

robert

Expedition Leader
I almost always have one on me but I also keep a PA63 in a lockbox. Depending on where I'm going I'll throw a long gun in the truck; the two that get carried the most are a Marlin Papoose 22.LR or a H&R 20ga that I chopped at 18.5" and had threaded for a choke tube. It's also got a set of Choate synthetic furniture on it, a sling and a cheap nylon buttcuff holding five extra rounds. With the addition of the choke tube and a modified choke it's amazingly versatile- before the choke tube it'd barely hit the side of a barn with birdshot. :sombrero:

morrisster

Adventurer
honestly, a cheap rugged gun that I keep in my truck is the High Point 995 (9mm carbine). cheap ammo, eats anything, ghost ring sights that work really well. the only setback I see is the 10 round mag.

If I could have found a kel-tec sub2000 I would have gotten one of those. I did pay only $150 for my HP used though.

zuren

Adventurer
been thinking about this for a "trunk" or "truck" gun, don't have a trunk or a truck at the moment so mine would be a "hatchback" gun, but indulge me.

H&R "Survivor" rifle in either .308 or .223.

Single shot, break open action. Synthetic stock with storage space in the butt stock as well as the forestock to fit a decent amount of survival gear in as needed. ie, small knife, fire starting tools, etc.

Sling with ammo carrying capability or a butt stock carrier to have 20-30 rounds on hand with enough other tools stored in and on the gun itself to get you home if the worst occurs while on the trail.

Very reasonably priced, under $300 from any dealer for either version. Maybe not the absolutely most needed piece of gear in the world, but plenty of cool factor points. From what I've read they're plenty accurate for meat hunting. Also available in a shotgun/rifle "Handi Rifle" combo setup but the hollow stock won't fit according to the folks at H&R.

There's a great thread about modifying one as described above on the Zombie Squad forums.

Is this the thread?:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72375

Very interesting indeed! I have a stainless T/C Encore with the .45LC/.410 pistol barrel.

zuren

Adventurer
Hmmm.....

Already have a real AR-7, made by Armalite, fun little gun and it's head and shoulders better in quality of make then the Charter Arms or the Henry version but it's still a bit of a toy.

The M6 hasn't been made in years, when you can find them they're prohibitively expensive and I can't get past the whole trigger/lever thing personally.

I could be wrong, it's happened before but I don't think the Stevens combo guns are available any more either. Is Stevens even a company any more?

And for what it's worth, none of the above offer the storage room, ease of use, simpleness of the H&R in my opinion. I've got a stainless steel/polycarbonate stock Ruger 10-22 that I've modified a bit, made the butt plate removable and I use the hollow stock to store extra ammunition and some survival tools too but I like the idea of the larger round offered by the H&R. Given that it's really just an excuse to buy another rifle that's about all the reasons I can come up with to justify getting one...;^) Ironically, the H&R doesn't cost all that much more than the Ruger did.

Agreed. I've held a Henry US Survival .22 and it feels cheap. I have also heard that the semi-auto mechanism can have issues with jamming.

I looked for an M6 for a while too and found the same thing - too expensive for a gun that will see real use. Collectors are snapping them up so the supply is low. The "lever trigger" was designed to be easily used with mittens in cold climates but I agree, not my cup of tea either.

Lone Ranger

Sucks we can't carry handguns in the bush with us up here this side of the border, otherwise it'd be my Citadel .45. Cheap, reliable, and good enough for truck use.

I usually have my Ruger 10/22 or Marlin .45/70 GG with me. Fairly compact, hits hard enough to drop anything offensive up here, and I don't mind getting it wet or dirty. LR

zuren

Adventurer
Sucks we can't carry handguns in the bush with us up here this side of the border, otherwise it'd be my Citadel .45. Cheap, reliable, and good enough for truck use.

I usually have my Ruger 10/22 or Marlin .45/70 GG with me. Fairly compact, hits hard enough to drop anything offensive up here, and I don't mind getting it wet or dirty. LR

I'm not familiar with Canadian firearms laws. You can't carry a handgun at all, concealed or open?

skysix

Adventurer
Nope.

I lean towards a 12ga - very versatile and can fire flares as well in emergencies (7.62 tracer rounds being kinda illegal...) Now that Kel-Tec has their bullpup KSG in the market - maybe the NS-2000 will become available in the US (it already is in Canada). 13-15 x 2.75" is more than enough for most things, especially when you can choose buck or slug without skipping a beat.

The Wild West Guns co-pilot packs down real small and can fire .410 for small stuff. Never mind the fancy scope in the PR pic - bears that need to be shot will be to close anyway (15'-ish or they don't need to be culled... you are on their turf)

bigcopilotred1.jpg

Attachments

• n1101353000_30339017_6651.jpg
    n1101353000_30339017_6651.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 97

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
In New Mexico, (USA), perfectly legal to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in a vehicle.
(Unless your are DWI at the same time-- then this "freedom" changes dramtically).
I usually have a Springfield XDm 9mm with me. AR15 goes with on "way out" trips, especially in mountain-kitty country.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman