Truck vs SUV for towing

Markal

For those who overland or just generally travel and camp with a small (teardrop size or off-road cargo size) trailer, do you prefer to use a pick-up truck or SUV and why? If you use a truck, mid-size or full-size? Does the truck have a cap or soft-topper or bed rack? If SUV, what kind?

I wouldn't call my travel overlanding, but we do travel a lot with a "square drop" (Hiker Trailer) and we like to go off the beaten path at least a little. So far I've been pulling it with modified Subaru Outback XT, but I keep thinking a more capable vehicle would be worth the expenditure for us. There are more options for pick-ups, but I keep thinking an SUV would be better for us. So just looking for pros and cons of each platform with a trailer.

Thanks.

and here's a pic of our current set up

image.jpeg

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
So far I've been pulling it with modified Subaru Outback XT, but I keep thinking a more capable vehicle would be worth the expenditure for us.
Sure sounds like a "want" and not a "need."

There is certainly a time and place for "wants," but I'd suggest making an actual list of what you think a new vehicle will give you that you currently do not have, and think about whether the $$$ to change to that setup (and also accept the new vehicle's downsides) is worth it.

I had an SUV, moved to a Tacoma for 2.5 years, moved back to an SUV just over 5 years ago, and have been very happy since.

Truck details no one tells you ahead of time:
- The bed area will never be like an SUV. Never. No matter how expensive your canopy/tonneau cover, no matter how well you seal it, it'll still let in water and dust. It'll never be climate controlled, so if you have pets or things that are susceptible to heat/cold (ie. groceries), that'll be a challenge.
- Reaching anything in the bed is difficult, and available solutions (bed slides, drawers, etc.) are expensive, heavy, and have their own downsides. Forget carrying groceries in the bed - your back seat will be used for that.
- Tailgates get stolen all the time. And if you put in a lock, keep in mind that it can (will) freeze in the winter, because as we've already covered, there's no climate control in the bed area.
- Trucks typically (not always) ride poorly when unloaded.
- Trucks generally have worse safety ratings and small crumple zones. I've been rear ended in that Tacoma, and the impact went right into the frame, down it, and into my seat. ~6 years later I still have back pain.

I would only get a truck if I used the truck bed on a very regular basis (at least a few times per week) for dirty things that don't make sense to transport in an SUV. Things like dirt/gravel/mulch/building materials, etc. If you're not transporting that a few times per week, an SUV is a much better option.

My little utility trailer fits 2 yards of soil - I've used it to carry everything imaginable, and unlike a truck, I can park the trailer in the garage, or on the lawn, and forget about it. I don't need to unload right then and there.

My LX570 tows better than many trucks, and wouldn't even notice that little Hiker teardrop. Heck, I barely notice my current travel trailer.

If you really have to scratch the truck itch, go to U-Haul, rent an F150 for a week, and live with it day to day to get a feel for what's what.

Your current Outback is 10x the daily driver of any truck. I've even got a buddy wanting to go from a Tacoma to an Outback right now. If it gets you to where you want to be, you're set IMO.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We used SUV's for years. 80 series Land cruiser, Nissan Xterra, Yukon, Suburban and a Explorer.

Switched to a full size pickup in 2017 and I wouldn't go back unless we no longer towed a camping trailer.

If I didn't need to tow an RV I would do like @eatSleepWoof and get an SUV with a utility trailer.

Depends what you want to do. We carry lots of firewood when we head out so having a box we can put dirty crap in works well for us.
If stuff gets dirty while we camp it doesn't bother me to chuck it in the back of the box.

Never had an issue reaching stuff? I have a tailgate step and just walk into the bed.

I do groceries every week in my truck and the groceries go into 2 bins the sit between the tailgate and wheel wells. Hasn't been an issue in 7 years.

I do have a hard folding tonneau cover and weather striping around the tailgate to keep out rain / snow.

If you tend to load up an SUV make sure everything is secured and use a barrier to separate the cargo and passenger areas so gear doesn't become flying projectiles in the event of an accident.

You didn't mention how many people or if you travel with any pets.

We travel with two adults, two kids and a small dog. (Well used to... our kids are older now and don't come out with us as much anymore. And sometimes if they do see fit to grace mom and dad with their presence for a day or two, they just drive in a separate vehicle.)

Any more than that or two kids and a big dog and I would lean toward and SUV. The back seat in a pickup will get cramped.

For reference, we also have a Bronco Sport. I personally find my truck more comfortable.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
In general, you'll be able to tow and haul more, if that's a concern, with a truck. There are SUV's that can handle a larger trailer and more gear, but then you're getting into a significantly larger vehicle than your Subaru, like a GX/LX, Tahoe, etc.

You can get an extended cab truck with a 5-6 foot bed and be able to pull TT, teardrops, boats, whatever plus have stuff in the bed. One big reason I prefer towing with a truck is visibility out the rear window. SUV will greatly limit that.

I have had a truck with a shell, tonneau, and open bed and I like open bed the most. I slept in the bed when I had the shell, it was alright. I use a RTT now and like it because of ease of access to my stuff in the bed.

Best of both worlds in my opinion, If you get a truck, you could potentially ditch the trailer all together, get a GFC or some kind of light weight truck camper and have everything you need inside one unit. Like eatsleepwolf said, it wont ever be 100% weather proof but you can get it 99% with some work. SUV, other than a van, wont allow that.

Hard to say for sure, there's so many pros and cons of both if you ask me.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Besides obvious differences in cargo and people hauling I’d say the biggest difference is fuel capacity.

You’re not going to find many SUV’s with a 36 gallon fuel tank. That can really open up options when you’re touring around with your trailer getting 13mpg.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
99% people hauling the Full sized Expedition has been superior to my Subaru in every way. Even comes close to beating the 2.5i outback on mileage. Towing the 4x6 trailer definitely beating the Outback. Better towing range than the XT with your trailer for sure. Better mileage definitely the xt was a fuel pig without a trailer.

Nearly the same U turn capability only a few inches different than the Outback. Massively better power, reliability and tech.

The advantage over say a F150 is its shorter easier to live with in everyday day use.

If you can use a gear garage then go Truck👍. If you need people hauler go SUV.

Markal

There is certainly a time and place for "wants," but I'd suggest making an actual list of what you think a new vehicle will give you that you currently do not have, and think about whether the $$$ to change to that setup (and also accept the new vehicle's downsides) is worth it.

I had an SUV, moved to a Tacoma for 2.5 years, moved back to an SUV just over 5 years ago, and have been very happy since.

- The bed area will never be like an SUV. Never. No matter how expensive your canopy/tonneau cover, no matter how well you seal it, it'll still let in water and dust. It'll never be climate controlled, so if you have pets or things that are susceptible to heat/cold (ie. groceries), that'll be a challenge.
- Reaching anything in the bed is difficult, and available solutions (bed slides, drawers, etc.) are expensive, heavy, and have their own downsides. Forget carrying groceries in the bed - your back seat will be used for that.
- Tailgates get stolen all the time. And if you put in a lock, keep in mind that it can (will) freeze in the winter, because as we've already covered, there's no climate control in the bed area.
- Trucks generally have worse safety ratings and small crumple zones. I've been rear ended in that Tacoma, and the impact went right into the frame, down it, and into my seat. ~6 years later I still have back pain.

I would only get a truck if I used the truck bed on a very regular basis (at least a few times per week) for dirty things that don't make sense to transport in an SUV. Things like dirt/gravel/mulch/building materials, etc. If you're not transporting that a few times per week, an SUV is a much better option.

My little utility trailer fits 2 yards of soil - I've used it to carry everything imaginable, and unlike a truck, I can park the trailer in the garage, or on the lawn, and forget about it. I don't need to unload right then and there.

My LX570 tows better than many trucks, and wouldn't even notice that little Hiker teardrop. Heck, I barely notice my current travel trailer.

If you really have to scratch the truck itch, go to U-Haul, rent an F150 for a week, and live with it day to day to get a feel for what's what.

Your current Outback is 10x the daily driver of any truck. I've even got a buddy wanting to go from a Tacoma to an Outback right now. If it gets you to where you want to be, you're set IMO.
Isn't pretty much everything discussed in this forum a "want?" No one needs to overland or camp or even drive! So, yes, this is most definitely a want. It's a matter of how much do I want it given the cost and other tradeoffs.

That said, thanks for the input on pros and cons. I think there are three reasons I"m even contemplating a truck: 1) there are more choices, 2) I've never tried one, and 3) they're cool (not the best reason, obviously).

Treefarmer1

The goal is to tow with the smallest vehicle you can safely get away with based on your trailer size and payload needs. We're in a bigger trailer than yours and boondock 100% of the time, so we not only need the extra towing capacity, but also need the extra payload of a truck. Dog food, water, extra fuel, etc. add some weight! We also have a real need for a truck when we're not towing, so a truck is it for us. If we were in a teardrop trailer for a weekend or week at a time, we'd have some kind of cool SUV.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Isn't pretty much everything discussed in this forum a "want?" No one needs to overland or camp or even drive! So, yes, this is most definitely a want. It's a matter of how much do I want it given the cost and other tradeoffs.

That said, thanks for the input on pros and cons. I think there are three reasons I"m even contemplating a truck: 1) there are more choices, 2) I've never tried one, and 3) they're cool (not the best reason, obviously).
I am a firm believer that every man needs a truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A good friend of mine said, "I don't know how you live without a truck. Baffles me to no end!
I am a firm believer that every man needs a truck.
true except I find the 4x6 utility trailer better. I don’t ding up an expensive vehicle hauling junk in the trailer. Having said that the Expedition has hauled sheets of plywood, deck lumber and two water heaters at the same time to various property projects. Last few weeks it’s been hauling gear and people back and forth to the new cabin. I’m not sure I would have found the F150 as flexible for my needs. The Expedition was hauling 1/2 the HS Tennis team around last season between deck/lumber repairs and emergency water heater replacements 😆. Definitely like the powered seat down option from the tailgate 👍.

ThundahBeagle

I dont tow often but I have, and I do have a Leer cap on the back. In the past I have had Jeep Grand Cherokee and two GMT400 full size Chevy Blazers.

All good points you've made, @eatSleepWoof , however, a rebuttal is in order to offer counter points:

-a truck will out-tow an SUV of similar size and weight. So, a Silverado 1500 will have a higher tow rating than the Tahoe or Suburban. And the 2500 series truck, even more so.

- yes, another post mentioned your Outback is a better daily than any truck, and its 100% true of any full size. And maybe true of any midsize.

- yes, the truck bed will never be like an SUV, and actually, that's the point. If I really need to haul something rough or nasty, it is separate from the cab.

- I actually DO put my groceries in the bed of my truck, thank you. No I dont put the eggs back there, I put them in the back seat.

- my Beagle (the Thunder Beagle) rides in the back seat with a dog seat cover, his bed, and a harness system to keep him as safe as possible

- reaching things in the bed CAN be difficult. We organize them in totes that are mid-calf height with wheels on the bottom, and I use an old wood clamp to reach under the lip around the edge of the tote and pull it towards me, so this CAN be overcome

- tailgates get stolen all the time?!?! I have never ever seen experienced this, nor knew anyone who had, in my limited 54 years on earth. However, the tailgate on my 2014 GMC Sierra locks, and with the Leer cap, that hatch also locks. The full sized Blazer also this wasnt a concern. But my first truck, a 91 Chevy RC short bed stripped down Cheyenne and our old 78 Ford also never experienced this problem.

- I have never ever had a tailgate lock freeze. My tailgate lock has never frozen, and I'm up in New England, where that's a real possibility. Those locks can be maintained with graphite or other dry lubricant, and a cover can be fashioned if freezing is a real concern

- trucks ride poorly when unloaded...maybe so. my truck has been a super smooth ride (for a truck), though my girlfriend's GMC Terrain Denali is FAR, FAR nicer ride.

If the purpose of it is to tow, you can also put some of your gear in the bed to make things a little more tame. A few sheets of plywood help, as they distribute weight all across the bed, while not taking so much space you cant put anything else in.

- safety, that may be an issue. I have heard this. It isnt as if trucks are UNsafe, just that other vehicles can be rated safer. I doubt the Tahoe is rated safer than the Silverado- at least not the older ones that are essentially the same vehicle.

All that being said, I still aspire to ALSO add a Subaru to my stable, for my daily commute to and from work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior