Truck vs SUV for towing

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have done lots of towing with both full-size and mid-size SUV's and full-size trucks. If towing I prefer a truck, they almost always tow better than an SUV. I prefer a truck bed for the dirty, stinky, wet stuff I'd never want inside of my vehicle and no matter how big your SUV is, the cargo space will never compare to the space in the bed of a full-size truck. For daily driving and road trips I prefer an SUV, our around town/daily/mileage whore is a mid-size SUV. We've found that we simply need both to meet our needs, desires and preferences in how we live, work, play and travel.

Figure out what it is you want from a vehicle and narrow your search from there. I will say this, should you find yourself upgrading the size and capability of your vehicle it's very likely you will find yourself following suit with your trailers and toys. They have a way of growing along with the vehicle as you increase it's capabilities, just be aware of that phenomenon lol.

Nikilrho

It really depends on family size and if you daily your tow vehicle. That lx470 or gx460 for example doesn’t have the tow capacity of a truck. Even a truck like mine where the tow capacity is more limited due to being an off road from factory type.

The gas mileage certainly isn’t much better either but imho as soon as you start towing, gas mileage goes out the window. My 2002 s10 gets 15mpg on a good day (going downhill with a tailwind), my new 1500 ZR2 gets 25mpg. We’ve had wranglers (15-18mpg) and an xj (10mpg). I’ve gotten better gas mileage out of a GT4 by driving like grandma. At the end of the day mpg really only matter if your commute is long. Ours is 45 mins each way and that’s not in traffic.

You never see a third row in a truck nor can you haul 2 teens and a large dog as easily as you can in an SUV. Groceries and other items are just safer.

But you can’t put gross things or load up motorcycles into an suv. I’ve taken the trash to the dump in my car (a hatchback) and even with all the windows down, i had a smell for a couple days. A trailer can help with that but do you have more room for a utility trailer, a camper trailer, plus however many vehicles you own? Space can be an issue for many.

Really I think writing out a pros and cons list with budget constraints is a good idea. Figure out what your family needs.

We didn’t need the extra interior space of an suv and needed the carrying capacity of a truck. We wanted to go off roading but not 4x4ing like we did in the jeeps. Our little truck wasn’t big or strong enough and a bigger truck just ate into gas.

If you want better towing in a SUV you could try an LX, sequoia, GX (new 550 comes out soon), Tahoe, armada for example. You get up to 6500-8000+ for towing but the comfort of an suv.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

The question of this string was when towing a tear drop size trailer which vehicle do you prefer. If your trailer is over 5,500 pounds totally loaded by all means a truck is best.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The question of this string was when towing a tear drop size trailer which vehicle do you prefer. If your trailer is over 5,500 pounds totally loaded by all means a truck is best.

I think towing in general is almost always better with a proper full-size truck as they usually have bigger brakes, a stronger frame/chassis and transmission and often times better cooling systems for that added stress. I would prefer to tow a load well under the max rating for a particular vehicle than to tow something at or near that rating or even mid-tier of that rating. Therefor why not always choose the full-size truck?!

Now, if you’re happy with your suv and/or the added cost of moving to a truck beyond gaining the better towing rating isn’t really necessary or affordable then by all means keep what you have and add a proper brake controller if you don’t already have one.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
They say the difference between men and boys is the size of their toys. Real men tow big toys with with trucks, boys play with smaller toys and SUV's. Get a truck!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think towing in general is almost always better with a proper full-size truck as they usually have bigger brakes, a stronger frame/chassis and transmission and often times better cooling systems for that added stress. I would prefer to tow a load well under the max rating for a particular vehicle than to tow something at or near that rating or even mid-tier of that rating. Therefor why not always choose the full-size truck?!

Now, if you’re happy with your suv and/or the added cost of moving to a truck beyond gaining the better towing rating isn’t really necessary or affordable then by all means keep what you have and add a proper brake controller if you don’t already have one.
Agreed. My current setup is 60% of my tow rating. But getting close to payload. We pack heavy.

They say the difference between men and boys is the size of their toys. Real men tow big toys with with trucks, boys play with smaller toys and SUV's. Get a truck!

That's ludicrous big guy. Of course assuming your not just joshing us. I myself am all about light weight. My bikes are light. My trailer is under 3k dry and it's a stand up with wet bath. Seen way to many big truck and trailers out clogging up the roads or trails thinking they can go off road in tight roads.

Most dudes with big trucks are just compensating for the smaller attributes.

This of course does not apply to full time campers out thier.

If God ment us to pull 10 tons of machinery into the back country he would have .....

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I believe my Coachmen 191RB weighs in at about 3250 pounds empty behind my F-150, roughly 6,000 pounds under it's capabilities. Has an island walk around queen bed, dry bath/shower, 3 burner, large double sink, microwave, fridge, dinette, HVAC, TV, 6'6" ceiling throughout, but no, I wouldn't drag it up a hill of rocks but I would cross a stream with it.

@Obsessed2findARuggedHybid , ludicrous? Using big words now, LOL, guess this compensating for smaller attributes goes to those guys who believe it's a macho thing to crawl over rough terrain to get to a whole in the wall where they can sit and be alone. Best way to do that is on two wheels, oh, but you can't carry a motorcycle in the backseat of an SUV, :)

Which is why God gave us brains enough not to need 10 tons of some load in the back country and if we do, the ability to drop it in by air, a CH 47 will do.

I believe my Coachmen 191RB weighs in at about 3250 pounds empty behind my F-150, roughly 6,000 pounds under it's capabilities. Has an island walk around queen bed, dry bath/shower, 3 burner, large double sink, microwave, fridge, dinette, HVAC, TV, 6'6" ceiling throughout, but no, I wouldn't drag it up a hill of rocks but I would cross a stream with it.

@Obsessed2findARuggedHybid , ludicrous? Using big words now, LOL, guess this compensating for smaller attributes goes to those guys who believe it's a macho thing to crawl over rough terrain to get to a whole in the wall where they can sit and be alone. Best way to do that is on two wheels, oh, but you can't carry a motorcycle in the backseat of an SUV, :)

Which is why God gave us brains enough not to need 10 tons of some load in the back country and if we do, the ability to drop it in by air, a CH 47 will do.

Ludicrous is a big word? I guess folks have different reasons to take thier trailers into to cool back country places but sitting is not what I personally do when I get thier. I take in the epic scenery, ride my bike, kayak and hang with friends and family. Not sure that is macho. On thing we may agree on is I do think it is silly to treat your trailer like a recreational vehicle. It's just a rolling base camp mostly in my case to be able to bring my handicapped daughter with us so she can enjoy the epic backcountry vista's we have in the wild west.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ludicrous is a big word? I guess folks have different reasons to take thier trailers into to cool back country places but sitting is not what I personally do when I get thier. I take in the epic scenery, ride my bike, kayak and hang with friends and family. Not sure that is macho. On thing we may agree on is I do think it is silly to treat your trailer like a recreational vehicle. It's just a rolling base camp mostly in my case to be able to bring my handicapped daughter with us so she can enjoy the epic backcountry vista's we have in the wild west.
That is the appeal of the trailer for us as well. Serves as a comfy basecamp so we can go explore.

It's the biggest thing that keeps me out of a truck camper, motorhome / campervan. I don't want to have to take down camp and set up every night so we can go explore. Last year went exploring during the day and let my youngest daughter do some off road driving.

2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg

mud puddle.jpg
Camping truck.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That is the appeal of the trailer for us as well. Serves as a comfy basecamp so we can go explore.

It's the biggest thing that keeps me out of a truck camper, motorhome / campervan. I don't want to have to take down camp and set up every night so we can go explore. Last year went exploring during the day and let my youngest daughter do some off road driving.

View attachment 824085
View attachment 824086
View attachment 824087

View attachment 824084
View attachment 824088

As much as I love a FWC I chose to go trailer this time around for similar reasons. I simply need the bed for toys and it's nice to have a proper base camp setup and ready to go in a matter of minutes versus being forced to set everything up and take it back down every time I want to move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior