Trying to decide on a ride.

Hob

Hello all, I'm going round in circles in my mind deciding on my next fun 4x4 vehicle. This will be my only vehicle/daily driver in the city (Phoenix) but yet I want to be able to go camping, light to medium trails, handle mud, and preferably be able to sleep in. I've owned an 02 Wrangler with 4" lift and 33 MTs but for getting 13 mpg hwy if I'm careful and having hardly any space to put gear in, I bought and sold it quickly. Currently driving a Mustang Mach 1 but ready for a change and desperately want to try my hand at another 4x4.

At this point I'm considering three entirely different vehicles for there own reasons, 4runner / 03 - 05 Dodge 2500 short bed 5.9l Cummins diesel / 2nd gen Frontier. 4runner intrigues me as it's one of the few SUVs that I can slightly lift and put more aggressive tires on without looking ridiculous. The Cummins diesel impresses me more and more I read about them but at 17k + higher cost to maintain + much larger to drive daily it's much more of a truck then I'll ever need (AND parents have 7.3l diesel F250 and Brother has an 09 Dodge 1500 so there's hardly any need for a mover/tow truck in the family). The thought of a 2-3" lifted crew cab short bed Frontier is in my mind most as it's cost effective and easily driveable in Phx but is less attractive and I'm not yet sure why.

Please inform me of any other vehicle suggestions. I'm preferring to stay in the 12k - 15k range (Don't ask why a full size Cummins diesel that's out of my price range is still in my head :))

Last edited:

oughtsix

A stock 4runner won't get you much better than 13mpg and if you put any kind of larger tires on it you will right back at 13mpg. A 6cyl Frontier will only be slightly better in the mpg department, not much with larger tires.

A Cummins should get you in the high teens for MPG but as you know it will cost you quite a bit to get there. I the 12K to 15K range you are probably looking at a higher mileage Cummins which would probably mean the tranny would probably be in your future.

The simple truth is a 4 x 4 isn't going to get great gas mileage. I have a Duramax crew cab long bed and can get 20 on the highway if I take it easy. It isn't my daily driver though.

My GF has a FJ Cruiser with 35's and 13mpg's is the best she ever gets on the highway. Like your Wrangler there isn't much room for gear in the FJ. It is pretty capable off road though.

You might consider an econo box for around town and a Suburban or Tahoe for camping and trails. A Suburban is pretty hard to beat for gear space but the shorter wheel base of the Tahoe would probably be a little better on the trails. A 7.3 powerstroke Expedition might also be a possibility.

If you want MPG, space and mild trail worthyness a Subaru hatch back might be a possibility?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The '03- early '04 Cummins is a fantastic truck, but if you have access to fullsize rigs and don't think you'd ever use one often, I'd take the 4Runner. V8 with locker of course! But, with the Dodge, you COULD get a nice camper someday...

Hob

Thanks for the input! I'm yet to dive too deep into the 4runners world to see the real world side effects of a 4runner with slight 2" lift / slightly more aggressive tires. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the frontiers and I'm semi confident I'd get around 15 mpg with a small lift / tires. Granted I'm not talking about 33" MTs but sadly I do understand you have to pay to play. Im thinking the 5.9l Cummins would likely net me high teens combined and give me 600 ft tq with little tweaking all while still putting slightly more aggressive tires underneath it. But I'm sure some of you could tell me much more of what I should expect thus why I'm posting here.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Typically, the newer the 5.9, the lower the mileage. This is due to more injection events. But I say "typically" as driver involvement is a huge factor. Mid to upper teens should be easy to achieve out most 5.9s if not lifted to the moon, or driven hard. The '03-'04 have 305 hp and 555 tq while only using 2 injection events. '04.5 and newer use 3 injection events to get 325(?) hp and 600 tq.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Typically, the newer the 5.9, the lower the mileage. This is due to more injection events. But I say "typically" as driver involvement is a huge factor. Mid to upper teens should be easy to achieve out most 5.9s if not lifted to the moon, or driven hard. The '03-'04 have 305 hp and 555 tq while only using 2 injection events. '04.5 and newer use 3 injection events to get 325(?) hp and 600 tq.

the 04.5 to 07 also have a different cam to provide an in cylinder egr.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Expect 17-20 mpg highway with 2006+ 4runner with a 2" lift and 32" ATs if you keep it under 75mph

Milo902

Adventurer
What Ryan said. High teens/low 20's in a 4 runner should be no problem if kept mild, especially a newer one w/ the 4.0. My 96 (3.4 V6, 5 Speed manual) just returned 18 mpg average on a 4th of July trip to Wyoming, approximately 1300 miles. It has a 2.5" lift w/ 265 Duratracs, loaded w/ 3 people, 2 dogs, gear, and running between 65 and 85 mph w/ the AC on. I have seen as high as 22 through the mountains on 55-60 mph roads and as bad as 15 running for long periods of time above 80, but never worse (and I'm not nice to it). I know the newer ones get a bit better mileage than the ol' 3.4, but you can't get a manual anymore if that matters to you.

I don't see how anyone would get 13mpg on a newer 4runner unless they are running big tires (33"+) and heavily overloaded. Oh, a 4runner w/ a set of Icons is simply an awesome all around vehicle and will bring a smile to your face if you enjoy driving fast offroad. Then again, I'm selling mine to build up a 7.3 F250, so don't listen to anything I have to say.

Hob

Ultimately I want something I can drive daily 95% of the time but can go up the mountain when we go snowboarding, room for camping gear, and can play in the mud moderately well. I make a 200 mile round trip drive at least a few times a month to parents house in Northern AZ but other then those trips everything is within a few miles here in Phx. I have to have at least a slightly cooler rig then the other average Joe vehicles i see everyday or I get bored fast.

The more I think/research the more excited I am about a 4th gen 4runner over a 2nd gen Frontier. Although I like the functionality of a dedicated pickup bed of a frontier as I can carry a friends / my own mountain bikes. I cant help but feel unusual that I'm leaning towards an expensive bulky SUV over pickup truck for these needs of mine. I over think EVERYTHING I know :) .

Silver dude

Xplorer
Fourth gen 4runner is a great option. Available in a sporty V8 or mpg saving V6 with smooth riding linked suspension. It would be a excellent choice for sport job and play. I'm desiring the same vehicles. Done the same Frontier to 4runner comparison many times. Despite being a diehard owned nothing but Nissan guy the 4runner always appears to be the best option.

ripperj

Explorer
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 hemi. I routinely get 15 back and forth to work(state roads) and close to 17 on the highway doing 68ish.
You may find a gasser 2500 meets your needs cheaper than a Cummings

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior