Tundra AC or Taco DC w/ Growing Family?

kbahus

Adventurer
Wondering if anyone here runs an Access Cab Tundra or Double Cab Tacoma (earlier generation) with young children and a dog? I am most interested in the Tundra AC as I would like the V8 and slightly larger size. I just am not sure if the access cab will work well for a family with a 3 year old in a car seat and a 85lb lab. I have been thinking about a pickup platform to either put a slide in camper on or tow a decently sized trailer for camping and want to get back to Toyota ownership. I replaced my 80 series with a Montero, but it is not really meeting my needs.

Paddy

Adventurer
Tundra DC! Trust me, kids need doors. They get big faster than the car wears out. also, tundra for weight cap and towing. Easy choice.

kbahus

Adventurer
The double cab Tundra would be pretty nice, but the price tag seems to double too which puts it well out of the current budget.

Last edited:

Arclight

SAR guy
Even the Xtracab in the T100 works with a car seat. If you have bucket seats, the long rear-facing ones can go in the middle of the back seat. The shorter ones and front-facing are usually no problem in any of these.

We put the kid in the back and put the dog in the camper. If you get a Truckboot, you can seal up the rear window to the camper, and let the AC blow back there to keep him cool.

Truckboot:

https://www.custompickup.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=178

Arclight

DaVikes

Adventurer
In my area first gen Tundra's are a steal compared to Tacoma's. I don't understand why, as a first gen Tundra is very similar to a 2nd gen Tacoma. The V8 is nice, and the transmission is solid. I've saw one for sale recently with over 400k on it. I vote for 4 real doors, however you do it.

mtndude23

Observer
Last year I sold my AC tundra, to get a DC tundra. I don't have kids, but several dogs. The AC backseat is small. The DC is worth it, plenty of room to grow into with kids, gear etc. If you buy the AC now, it will only be time until you wish you had the extra space. Buy once, cry once I say.

I have no experience w/ the Tundra, but we do have an '03 DC Tacoma and have a 1 year old and a lab. There is enough room for both. We have another baby due in November, so we will see how that works when no. 2 arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids only get bigger! :) If you've got more additions coming... Tundra DC all the way. I thought about a Tacoma DC, but after putting the kids in the car I knew it would be too small. Prices for Tacomas were crazy at the time too. Ended up with a Crewmax! hahaha.

tyv12

Adventurer
Dc tundra forsure, my brother has a taco and rear facing car seats are impossible in the taco with a 6ft+ driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntsonora

Explorer
I had an 02 AC cab Tundra.and it was a fantastic truck. I regretted selling it to buy the new 07 Tundra DC. I sold the 07, went through a few more trucks and came back to an 06 DC Tundra. Best move I've made. I love the 2UZ-FE engine and 5 speed automatic transmission. I bought mine with 42,000 miles on it for $15,000 and immediately put an old man emu suspension on it and it is just perfect for my family, for guiding hunts out of and it gets about 17 mpg overall. They are sure hard to beat. Here is mine....

These trucks are proven to run 300,000+ miles with proper maintenance

kbahus

Adventurer
The more I think about it the more I like the DC Tundra. I think that if a DC Tacoma popped up for a price I couldn't refuse I would buy it, but the Tundra looks like the best bet especially with the proposition of using a slide in camper, towing a camper, or even a boat. Netting 17mpg is fantastic too, that is what I am getting with the lifted Montero on 32's.

marathonracer

Adventurer
Another vote for DC 1st gen tundra. Had a Tacoma extra cab and had to move up when it was baby time. The 2uz-fe motor is an awesome powerplant you will love the smooth v8 power get a 2005 or 2006 and you get vvti and between 16-18 mpg (my v6 Tacoma on 33s was around the same and it was struggling). The interior is huge and comfy plenty of backseat room for kiddos and dogs and long legged drivers I'm 6'3 wife is 5'10. Another plus is you have a full bed, same size approx as the ac tundra just deeper.
Now the down side... I'll tell it to you straight... Its a long truck with a big turning radius. Aftermarket is far from that of a Tacoma. No factory option for a locker just LSD.

For my wife and I we hated to see the Tacoma go but the tundra is just awesome for our life now. Good on the highway, super smooth on the higher speed logging roads, yet still able to get us to any remote pond in search of trout. I can check my trap line, crawl through beaver flooded roads, chase my friends bobcat hounds through a foot and a half of snow with no trouble and still get my little one to daycare on Monday morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998