Tundra regular cab short bed (RCSB)

SC T100

Adventurer
Yeah if only! At least Toyota is making them with the current gen. Maybe I'll pick one up when the T100 dies in 15 years! :)

Flagster

Expedition Leader
does anybody know if an ARB Fridge would fit in the back?

My first question when I looked behind the seats as I test drove a 2011 RCSB 4x4 5.7l today at the dealer...
There is a ton of room behind the seats...yes it is no double cab/crewmax but unless you are Manute Bol...the seats will be far enough forward to fit quite a bit...and since the plan is a HAWK FWC...there should be plenty of room in that...I guess I just have to convince myself that the savings in wheelbase will pay off on the trails...I stick mainly to FS roads...

I am going to get measurements tonight and measure tomorrow...or if anyone has the width of the fridge...please post up...

Last edited:

kishzilla

My first question when I looked behind the seats as I test drove a 2011 RCSB 4x4 5.7l today at the dealer...
There is a ton of room behind the seats...yes it is no double cab/crewmax but unless you are Manute Bol...the seats will be far enough forward to fit quite a bit...and since the plan is a HAWK FWC...there should be plenty of room in that...I guess I just have to convince myself that the savings in wheelbase will pay off on the trails...I stick mainly to FS roads...

I am going to get measurements tonight and measure tomorrow...or if anyone has the width of the fridge...please post up...

18Seeds asked me this in private and he gave me these dimensions for his ARB Frige H20” x W15” x D27.76”. Here is what I told him:

As far as the fridge, I don't know if you can fit that behind the seats of my Tundra, because the center console sticks out past the back of the seats. However, if you were to get the RCSB that has a bench seat and not captain's chairs, you would probably be fine, even with the seats all the way back since the console wouldn't be in the way any longer. The space between the back of the console and the back wall of the cab is almost exactly 15" from my measurements so it might fit but I wouldn't be able to say for sure without a dry fit test.

I think it depends greatly on what seat package you have. Bucket seats or bench seat.

kishzilla

So I finally had time to build my truck box/sleeping platform this weekend. It's not as slick as the Truck Vault, but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out so I thought I'd post it. :D

168hlj4.jpg

2cdws91.jpg

20h244y.jpg

555g1f.jpg

Side flaps are cut to fit the full width of the truck bed and are hinged with a piano hinge. The two smaller ones to either side of the drawers are hinged as well, and when I want to take it out I just fold everything in and pull it out. I can move it around my garage super easy with my dolly, so if I need the extra space i can have it out in less than a minute.

Toss a futon mattress on top and I'm good to go!

chitown4x4

RCSB AWESOME

Yes these are rare and very awesome.. should have never sold it.....

DSC_0084-2.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

And yes.. .tons of room in the front!!

DSC_0055_2.jpg

This is what it looked like when I bought it!

DSC_0149.jpg

Danimal

Adventurer
Very cool truck, looks like a lot of fun. But let's get real; the wheelbase is less than 1" shorter than my double cab short bed Tacoma and the Tundra is longer overall. I park next to one at work on occasion and it's still a big truck with a lot of sheet metal. Just my opinion...

Dan

chitown4x4

Very cool truck, looks like a lot of fun. But let's get real; the wheelbase is less than 1" shorter than my double cab short bed Tacoma and the Tundra is longer overall. I park next to one at work on occasion and it's still a big truck with a lot of sheet metal. Just my opinion...

Dan

Dan, they are really big trucks, and that is part of the draw of it too. All of the parts are way over built in comparison to the Tacoma. The truck also has huge wheel wells and you can fit 35's at stock height which is really awesome! Most of the important tidbits under-neath are tucked into the frame rails for protection. The bed is huge, deep and wide. About 6" deeper and longer than my dads Chevy 6' bed. Knowing that the Tacoma's are built to take the punishment, this truck is going to do the same! The other thing that I love about this truck is that it shares so many things with the new 200 Series land cruiser! ARB makes full lockers for this thing now and the aftermarket has really picked up...

chitown4x4

After the Above mentioned comment, I had to look this over myself... SO here is the data stacked up next to each other..

Double Cab/Short Bed Tacoma vs / Regular Cab Tundra Reg Bed
Overall height 70.1 // 76.2
Overall width 74.6 // 79.9
Overall length 208.1 // 209.8
Wheelbase 127.4 // 126.8
Bed length 60.3 // 78.7
Bed height 18.0 // 22.2
Bed width 56.7/41.5 // 66.4/50.0
Head room 40.2 // 40.2/not available
Hip room 53.6 // 63.0/not available
Leg room 41.7 // 42.5/not available
Shoulder room 57.7 // 66.7/not available
Curb weight (lb.) 4155 // 5080
(GVWR) (lb.) 5450 // 6800
Payload 1295 // 1720
Fuel tank (gal.) 21.1 // 26.4

For two person expedition outings the comfort that one would have in the REG Cab Tundra vs the Tacoma is not even close. "10 in hip room and 9" in shoulder Room differences is HUGE!

The Exteriors are very similar, except for a much larger bed for storing things in and over 5" in height and Width. (hope the trails don't get too tight)

The Payload in the Tundra is much better also 500lbs more... The Drive Train in the Tundra is also better and the fuel range is better in the Tundra with a 26 Gallon Tank.

Discuss......

Danimal

Adventurer
Can't argue with anything you've stated, chitown4x4. They are apparently very heavy duty trucks with lots of room for front passengers. I was commenting more to the folks who loved the idea of a short and "small" Tundra. It's exterior dimensions are still very big in my opinion. I just don't understand the need for 10" more space than my Tacoma, but I also realize that I'm in the minority on this. My wife does anything in her power to avoid road trips with me in my Tacoma :(

Dan

Casper

Adventurer
I have to say I really like the looks of this truck, but when I go to the toyota web site I can't "Build" one. There is no option for a regular cab short bed. Do they not make it anymore?

JP

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Pretty sure they're not made anymore, after the 2010 or 2011 model year. A huge part of auto manufacturer budget reductions and cost savings is to limit the number of configurations that need to be built. With the smallest volume of sales in the model line, the RCSB was the odds-on choice of Tundra variants to get the axe first. You'll also notice for some reason they don't offer an 8ft long bed with the in-between 4.6L V8, just a 'work truck' model with the smaller 4.0L V6 and then five or six different trim levels/drivelines with the larger 5.7L V8.

Obviously the domestic manufacturers high-volume in overall pickup sales (particularly Ford) allows them to offer every variation under the sun. I'm sure the fleet sales of regular cab short bed trucks alone makes it viable for Ford/Chevy to offer that configuration to the public without any penalties to their operating costs.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
See one of the early posts but you couldn't configure one on Toyota's website...even though they were making them. Not sure about now... Last year the Flagstaff, AZ toyota dealer had a nice one TRD package and white exterior...I was tempted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger