Tundra vs 5.9 Cummins - Help!

Clutch

<---Pass
I'll try to dig some up. I was just browsing and didn't keep track.
-
In our part of the country, at least some resemblance of high clearance and 4WD is almost necessary. For those reasons alone, vans just don't work, unless you're talking sports mobile and the likes (but $$$$). I was fondly looking at a NV van today. Huge passenger/cargo space, big roof rack with an RTT. Looked pretty sweet. GC is actually ok. But lack of factory 4WD? No thanks.

Thanks

---

yeah, that is problem with vans...we need 4WD high clearance here too. Wish the Transit came 4WD from the factory...a Qiugley conversion is $12K...finding V6's below $25K...kinda in my price range...though we have been down this road before. A V6 F150 (sub $25K) with a $2000-3000 enclosed trailer accomplishes the same thing....

https://www.trailersplus.com/Idaho/Nampa/5-Wide-Cargo-Trailers/trailer/4RALS101XHN101581

....though a van would be nice, easier to park, toss the bike and gear inside and not have to worry too too much about prying eyes.

Last edited:

Anak

Stranger
I can't speak to the Tundra side of the equation, but I have a '95 Dodge Cummins. It is pushing 300K miles on the clock. My biggest maintenance expense to date has been the air conditioning system, on which I have replaced everything except the evaporator. The engine itself has been a solid and reliable performer. Only other notable expense has been the steering upgrade with a sector shaft support bearing.

I don't think you run much risk with the Cummins. If you decide you don't like how it works out then you can probably resell it with little effort.

I would say the one thing you have not mentioned in your list of pros and cons is the weight. The Cummins is a heavy motor. In some environments that could be a liability, and I think that is a substantial factor in the front end/steering issues. It can be overcome, but you need to include that in your expectations.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I'm bias towards tundras but I will give you my opinion aside from that. I've owned one diesel and the rest gassers. If I had to buy another truck I would buy a 3/4 ton gasser. The 3/4 ton is way more versatile ( at least in my situation) and I like that they are built with heavier duty parts. That said, replacing said parts and gas is going to cost more naturally.
I had a few things I liked about the Diesel engine and a few things I didn't. Mine was a 6.7 Cummins. the engine had a lot of pull and pretty good mileage considering how I was using the truck.
What I don't like is the cost of maintenance and the fact that the truck doesn't have instant power when you hit the skinny peddle- you have to wait for the turbo to Spool.

The year of dodge you are looking at would have me very nervous. Even up to this point, any of the Chrysler brand names are synonymous with junk in my eyes. A Toyota may not give you great mileage or a huge payload but you will get reliability which pays for itself over time.

D45

Explorer
Do you need or want a 3/4 ton?

Do you need or what something larger than a 5.5' bed (Tundra)?

In my opinion (I have had both a diesel and now a gas motor) it is hard to beat a gas motor

Yes, fuel mileage might be lacking and you wont have 1000hp on tap, but common rail diesel motors are time bombs

If an injector sticks open....you melt a piston

If your fuel filtration is not top notch or you get bad fuel, you can wipe out your entire fuel system

Diesel motors work and work well, their power is amazing.........if you can afford the maintenance and need the diesel, get it

What about a 3/4 ton option with a gas motor? They are beasts with the larger displacement motors

D45

Explorer
Yes, turbos can, will and do fail

However, you my old Cummins never had an issue, but I did swap out 3-4 turbos in 125,000 miles

If you need payload, find an F150 with the Max Payload option. I have had 2,400+ pounds in the bed of my F150 and it DID GREAT

If you need towing, find an F150 with the Max Tow option. I have this and can pull something like 12,000+ pounds

Dalko43

Explorer
Diesels are for sure fun drive, most of my moto buds went back to gas, after owning diesels for a bit and do smaller TT's, just cost too much to keep diesels on the road. Do a turbo, injectors, and a fuel pump it adds up real quick. Gas [non-turbo] you only have to keep to oil changed for the most part.

Modern common rail diesels are more complicated than modern gasoline engines, no question. Though people who keep the powerplant stock seem to avoid a lot of the issues you hear about on the internet. Fuel filters, EGR maintenance, oil changes seem to be the big items to keep track of. The new 6.7l Cummins is rated to a B50 life of 350k miles, the same as the 5.9L Cummins, despite all the emissions. Plenty of owners are getting well north of 500k miles on their stock vehicles.

My take OP, is if you are going to consider a 3/4 ton gasser, you should consider the 3/4 ton diesel option; you'll get better mpg, similar payload, better towing, and a longer lasting powerplant. The added engine weight won't be as much of an inhibitor as people here make it out to be (especially with the right suspension setup). The diesel engine is a little bit more complex than comparable gasoline ones, but don't be dissuaded by the horror stories (often times exaggerated) on the internet; with the right maintenance, modern common rails will last longer than most drivers are willing to own them. The only advantage I can see for a 3/4 ton gasser is that it would be more practical for day-to-day city driving.

Clutch

<---Pass
Modern common rail diesels are more complicated than modern gasoline engines, no question. Though people who keep the powerplant stock seem to avoid a lot of the issues you hear about on the internet. Fuel filters, EGR maintenance, oil changes seem to be the big items to keep track of. The new 6.7l Cummins is rated to a B50 life of 350k miles, the same as the 5.9L Cummins, despite all the emissions. Plenty of owners are getting well north of 500k miles on their stock vehicles.

My take OP, is if you are going to consider a 3/4 ton gasser, you should consider the 3/4 ton diesel option; you'll get better mpg, similar payload, better towing, and a longer lasting powerplant. The added engine weight won't be as much of an inhibitor as people here make it out to be (especially with the right suspension setup). The diesel engine is a little bit more complex than comparable gasoline ones, but don't be dissuaded by the horror stories (often times exaggerated) on the internet; with the right maintenance, modern common rails will last longer than most drivers are willing to own them. The only advantage I can see for a 3/4 ton gasser is that it would be more practical for day-to-day city driving.

Yeah we have been over this before many times...the engine itself will last...it is all those spendy components of the diesel engine some guys don't like when it is out of warranty. Several of my friends have gone back to gas, because they rather spend their money elsewhere than trying to keep them going. A lot of gone back to 1/2 tons too, much cheaper to maintain and fuel.

Have long term client who's son owns a diesel repair shop, yeah after getting tons and tons of information from him, as there was a time I really wanted a diesel. Yeah, no thank you. Not for me.

As with most things in life YMMV. :D

Just rolled 350'000 miles in mine...with very little fuss with the engine and its' components.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My take OP, is if you are going to consider a 3/4 ton gasser, you should consider the 3/4 ton diesel option; you'll get better mpg, similar payload, better towing, and a longer lasting powerplant.

MPG

Depends upon a world of things. But to state that, a 6.7PSD gets better MPG than say, a 6.2 gasser (ford) isnt that cut and dry. Most peeps I know running the 6.7PSD empty and light towing are seeing anywhere from 12-18MPG My 6.2 gasser gets the same. Factor in the cost of fuel and things get even more similar. Factor in the cost of DEF, fuel filters, etc, etc, and the cost per mile for everything fuel leans heavily in favor of the gasser.

All that said, heavy towing is a different story.

Payload

Payload capacity for the same truck, diesel and gas will ALWAYS be higher with the gasser.
No and, ifs or buts about it. The gasser simply weighs less, and allows for a higher payload.

Towing

Light to medium towing the advantage still goes to the gasser. Enough power, cheaper fuel, and all around lower operating costs. As mentioned already, heavy towing is a different story. Even then, is takes a LONG time for the diesel to start paying down when compared to the gasser.

Engine life

Good luck. By far the biggest reason I went gasser with my latest purchase is diesel repair costs, and the seemingly "rolling of the dice" with the new diesels. Coming from a 7.3, I simply do not trust any of the new diesels yet. Not to mention the repair costs when something DOES go wrong. FYI, it costs more for a replacement set of injectors for a 6.7 than it does for an entire long block for a 6.2 gasser.

All just some of the reasons I went gasser.

The 6.2 and 6-speed trans combo rocks.

And the actual operating costs per mile (figuring maintenance costs) is significantly less than a 6.7

p nut

butter
Engine life

Good luck. By far the biggest reason I went gasser with my latest purchase is diesel repair costs, and the seemingly "rolling of the dice" with the new diesels. Coming from a 7.3, I simply do not trust any of the new diesels yet. Not to mention the repair costs when something DOES go wrong. FYI, it costs more for a replacement set of injectors for a 6.7 than it does for an entire long block for a 6.2 gasser...

I wouldn't consider engine life to be a factor for either the gas or diesel. To say diesel will last longer than gas is outdated rhetoric. A family member is a life long GMC fan and has had 3/4 ton trucks for well over two decades. Always bought new, run hard to 200k miles, averaging 40k per year. And always bought gas. There were some issues, like O2 sensors and other little doo-dads. But the engines all performed well and was running plenty strong when they were sold. Another friend has had Ford's. Almost the same deal. Of course, I had a Toyota V8 at 180k, and running like new. Guess what I'm saying is, despite what the diesel guys say, gas engines have the longevity to go the distance. YMMV, of course.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering the average ownership of any vehicle is FAR shorter than the average engine lifespan, the diesel vs gasser engine life argument is even more irrelevant :)

Dalko43

Explorer
MPG

Depends upon a world of things. But to state that, a 6.7PSD gets better MPG than say, a 6.2 gasser (ford) isnt that cut and dry. Most peeps I know running the 6.7PSD empty and light towing are seeing anywhere from 12-18MPG My 6.2 gasser gets the same. Factor in the cost of fuel and things get even more similar. Factor in the cost of DEF, fuel filters, etc, etc, and the cost per mile for everything fuel leans heavily in favor of the gasser.

DEF, fuel filters, extra maintenance do factor into the cost per mile, but the thing you're forgetting is that diesel trucks, in general, retain much more of their value on the used market versus gasoline variants. Go compare what 2006 5.9L cummins Rams are getting vs 2006 Hemi Rams are getting if you want to see an example of that.

Also, mpg still lays decisively with the diesel engine. The Ford 6.7L is noted for not getting the best of mpg, however, the 6.7L Cummins does a bit better (a TFL review saw it getting as high as ~22 mpg hwy, which far surpasses what a comparable gasoline v8 is capable of). Similarly, the 2.8l duramax gets far better mpg than what any gasoline v6, turbo or NA, is capable of getting.

Payload

Payload capacity for the same truck, diesel and gas will ALWAYS be higher with the gasser.
No and, ifs or buts about it. The gasser simply weighs less, and allows for a higher payload.

Yes, but when discussing the shortbox SRW variants of the 3/4 ton's (at least for the Ram 2500), the difference in payload between gasoline and diesel is ~100lbs, if that. That difference is so small, it's barely worth mentioning. The payload differences for the DRW variants are much more pronounced, but still either engine is giving you in excess of 5klbs of payload to work with....you'd be hard pressed to need the extra payload if going with a DRW truck.

Towing

Light to medium towing the advantage still goes to the gasser. Enough power, cheaper fuel, and all around lower operating costs. As mentioned already, heavy towing is a different story. Even then, is takes a LONG time for the diesel to start paying down when compared to the gasser.

I couldn't disagree more. Towing anything a diesel engine is going to yield better mpg's and it will have an easier time versus a gasoline one. The operating costs per mile might be a little bit higher for the diesel, but again remember when it comes time to sell, you'll get more of your money back with a diesel versus a gasoline. That aside, even with the added operating costs with a diesel engine, there is a breakover point with the added cost items (DEF, fuel filter, oil changes) at which an owner will start to save money by driving a diesel over a gasser....YMMV when you hit that breakover point depending on driving habits, MSRP, ect.

Engine life

Good luck. By far the biggest reason I went gasser with my latest purchase is diesel repair costs, and the seemingly "rolling of the dice" with the new diesels. Coming from a 7.3, I simply do not trust any of the new diesels yet. Not to mention the repair costs when something DOES go wrong. FYI, it costs more for a replacement set of injectors for a 6.7 than it does for an entire long block for a 6.2 gasser.

I can't speak to the GM and Ford engines, but the 6.7l Cummins has a b50 life of 350k (the estimated mileage at which 50% of the engines will require major repairs). Many diesel engines live well beyond that mark without major repair, but please tell me which modern gasoline engines have the same rating. Please tell me which manufacturers of gasoline engines even provide that rating. I know people here will refer to the million mile Tundra or LC 100's with 350k on the original engine, but the question is what % do those examples represent out of the total # of engines made? Diesel engines are rated for longer lifespans; you might find gasoline engines that last just as long, but those are exceptions to the norm.

Considering the average ownership of any vehicle is FAR shorter than the average engine lifespan, the diesel vs gasser engine life argument is even more irrelevant :)

Agreed on the average time of ownership, but the diesel lifespan advantage isn't irrelevant....it factors heavily into why they demand higher resale values on the used market versus gasoline trucks.

I wouldn't consider engine life to be a factor for either the gas or diesel. To say diesel will last longer than gas is outdated rhetoric.

It isn't rhetoric, it's based on the engine lifespan ratings actually provided by the manufacturers and its based on the fact that modern diesel engines are built to withstand greater stresses. There is a reason diesel engines, even modern ones, are quite a bit heavier than comparable gasoline ones. The rhetoric I see is you saying that engine life is the same between a diesel and gasoline engine, which simply isn't true. Or Clutch, talking about how all his friends are moving away from diesel trucks because of money and complexity:

Yeah we have been over this before many times...the engine itself will last...it is all those spendy components of the diesel engine some guys don't like when it is out of warranty. Several of my friends have gone back to gas, because they rather spend their money elsewhere than trying to keep them going. A lot of gone back to 1/2 tons too, much cheaper to maintain and fuel.

It's funny how anytime a poster asks questions about buying a diesel, a whole bunch of diesel naysayers chime in and talk about all the supposed reasons why buying one doesn't make sense. The general consumer seems to think otherwise, as indicated by the strong sales #'s for diesels in the 3/4 ton, and more recently the 1/2 ton and midsized, market segments.

If the OP wants to buy a diesel truck, for sure there are maintenance factors to consider. But trying to dissuade him from such a decision through scare tactics and exaggeration is a bit silly.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass

Think it is 11 years now, which is still a pretty good amount of time. That is 275'000 miles under my thumb.

Though all these gas vs. diesel threads all pretty much argue about the same thing over and over. ;) :D

It's funny how anytime a poster asks questions about buying a diesel, a whole bunch of diesel naysayers chime in and talk about all the supposed reasons why buying one doesn't make sense. The general consumer seems to think otherwise, as indicated by the strong sales #'s for diesels in the 3/4 ton, and more recently the 1/2 ton and midsized, market segments.

If the OP wants to buy a diesel truck, for sure there are maintenance factors to consider. But trying to dissuade him from such a decision through scare tactics and exaggeration is a bit silly.

It is the type of diesel... those 5.9's are getting old and command a premium.

I don't have anything against diesels, but if I would own one, it would be new and sold before the warranty is up. On the other hand wouldn't even blink buying a Tundra with 100K on the clock.

...and yeah what I said to IdahSHO

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Though all these gas vs. diesel threads all pretty much argue about the same thing over and over. ;) :D

Imagine that :)

Also imagine a response about how diesels are hard to justify, being countered by little more than RESALE value of all things :********:

I buy my trucks to drive.

From a purely financial point of view, buying a truck only to sell it simply doesnt stack up.

In order to get even remotely close to a return on your investment, you pretty much need to drive it till it quits.

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't have anything against diesels, but if I would own one, it would be new and sold before the warranty is up. On the other hand wouldn't even blink buying a Tundra with 100K on the clock.

I wouldn't fret too much either over buying a Toyota 4x4 with 100k miles. They're great engines and great platforms. That said, certain domestic diesel engines, like the 6.7l Cummins, have a similar reputation for reliability.

Imagine that :)

Also imagine a response about how diesels are hard to justify, being countered by little more than RESALE value of all things :********:

I buy my trucks to drive.

From a purely financial point of view, buying a truck only to sell it simply doesnt stack up.

And yet you spent quite a bit of your post explaining why you think diesels cost more to operate per mile. So I guess some financial aspects of vehicle ownership matter to you, while others don't?

In order to get even remotely close to a return on your investment, you pretty much need to drive it till it quits.

Buying a vehicle isn't an investment. You're buying a product that starts to lose value the second you drive off with it. My point is, when it comes time to sell your vehicle, which most people do at some point, despite your own personal ownership habits, you get more of your money back selling a diesel to the used market versus selling a gasoline.

Conversely, if you do end up keeping the diesel truck for its entire usable life, you will save more money via fuel savings versus driving a gasoline....so either way a diesel has its advantages.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger