10801656_881301015222461_218946740569565790_n.jpg

derjack

Adventurer
You tell us...

Just look at the nut on the shaft...

b95d786c0caf556ee4cf698c8b10197f.jpg

21b495dfbef6713fcb2ddc1dca4ec49d.jpg

OK I will- for sure- do not make any friends with this comment, but anyway:
These are Marketing sheets and I would guess from Fox. If we check the same Comparison from Bilstein it will for sure look different. It´s not an easy look what´s bigger, or bigger is better.
- Aluminium does not rust- correct. But it can also corrode.
- FOX Diameter is bigger. Though Aluminium is a weaker material an always needs a bigger diameter to get the same torsion stiffness as Steel (check Alu vs. Steel bikes)
- Machined Billet vs. Welding. There is nothing bad with welding.

Just a note for everyone to always check what is behind the marketing materials/videos etc.

PS: I will also go for the fox ones if I can purchase them from agile next year...

cjken

Explorer
- FOX Diameter is bigger. Though Aluminium is a weaker material an always needs a bigger diameter to get the same torsion stiffness as Steel (check Alu vs. Steel bikes)

I may be wrong, but I don't think shocks experience much in the way of torsional forces. The shaft can rotate in the body so there would not really be any significant twisting transmitted to the Alu tube.

TwinStick

Explorer
The Fox (out of that specific pic of 3) certainly looks more HD to me. If you are overlanding/exploring, in remote areas, i would certainly go with the Fox, of those 3. A rock kicked up at high speed, would have less of a chance of denting/damaging the body or shaft of the Fox. This is just my humble opinion only. For the marginal price difference, it seems to me like you are getting a whole lot more.

ert01

Adventurer
But you are comparing a shock that is $130 to a shock that is $90.

Compare it to a Bilstein 5160 and you'll see a dramatic increase in performance on the Bilstein over that FOX.

Let's see a comparison sheet between shocks that actually have a similar price point.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
How much does that particular shock style set a fella back? I'll be in the market relatively soon. Don't think I can bring myself to go the rancho route again. Seems like if I start installing at the front drivers side working clockwise, by the time I get back to where I began it's already a rusted out husk.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
But you are comparing a shock that is $130 to a shock that is $90.

Compare it to a Bilstein 5160 and you'll see a dramatic increase in performance on the Bilstein over that FOX.

Let's see a comparison sheet between shocks that actually have a similar price point.

Internals of a 5160 are the same as the 5100 pictured. The difference is the reservoir.

I've rebuilt a lot of shocks in my day, including both of these - there is no question which is a better quality and performing product.

I had to rebuild some rear 5160's on the "Swiss Van" and re-valve them - it was a waste of time and money. Two new 2.0 Performance Series FOX shocks would have been better than the 4 5160's we rebuilt.

There is no reason to use dual shocks unless it is just for looks. Same goes for reservoirs...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
How much does that particular shock style set a fella back? I'll be in the market relatively soon. Don't think I can bring myself to go the rancho route again. Seems like if I start installing at the front drivers side working clockwise, by the time I get back to where I began it's already a rusted out husk.

These sell for $235 ea. We'll have the standard 2.0 shocks without res soon, phasing them in over the next month or two.

Bigred455

While the stack of shocks are cool to look at I'm digging that "table" more... I'm going to steal that idea for my own place. Keep up the great work Chris!

D45

Explorer
Internals of a 5160 are the same as the 5100 pictured. The difference is the reservoir.

And the overall construction of the 5100, 5160 and 7100s basically the same? Just the rezzys are diff?

I am running 5100s right now, but have a set of four Carli 2.0 Performance 7100s shocks waiting to be installed

Kind of surprised, even with the 2" shock bodies and 2" reservoirs, the shock shaft is only 9/16" (from what I am seeing) on the 7100s

5100:
Shaft Size 14mm
The shocks feature a 46mm digressive piston with self-adjusting deflective disc valving

7100:
Body: 2" Seamless Extruded Tube Conventional or Threaded Body
Rod: 14mm Centerless Ground, Case Hardened, Chromed and Super Polished
Seal: Aluminum 1 Peice/Rod Guide
Piston: 46mm Bilstein Racing Piston
Valving: "Self Adjusting" Deflective Disc Independent Rebound & Compression
Oil: Bilstein Fade Resistant High Temperature Racing Oil
Reservoir: 2" Seamless Tube
Hose: Aeroquip -6 High Pressure Hose
Rod Ends: 1/2" Teflon Uniball w/ Eye Ring
Finish: Electroless Nickel

Found this link, which helps top decifer the Bilstein code that are on my shocks

BILSTEIN 7100 Series

Carli 2.0 Performance Bilstein 7100

FRONT:
AK7112SB99

REAR:
AK7114SB99

Front:
12" Travel

Rear:
14: Travel

SB: Custom Valving (Carli)

Short Body Reservoir

Rear:
IMG_20141106_092831_662_zpswwfirk8j.jpg

Front:

IMG_20141106_092822_838_zpsbb7ldhgg.jpg

Last edited:

Colby Jack

Traveler
Not to derail this conversation, but is there any reason a D44 or similar couldn't be used up front in an E150 ujoint conversion? It would save having to purchase a rear axle or use adapters to get matching bolt patterns.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
While the stack of shocks are cool to look at I'm digging that "table" more... I'm going to steal that idea for my own place. Keep up the great work Chris!

Thanks, got the call today that my glass is ready! Hope to pick it up Monday, still need to make the mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears