UJOR Build Thread

151fab

Observer
Going to replace the steering box on my 2004 6.0 E-350. Should I just get the same model/year or has anyone heard of an upgraded version that would work better with the use these 4x4 vans are intended for. Kinda a long shot but figured I'd ask.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Going to replace the steering box on my 2004 6.0 E-350. Should I just get the same model/year or has anyone heard of an upgraded version that would work better with the use these 4x4 vans are intended for. Kinda a long shot but figured I'd ask.

I would go with a Ford reman, I haven't been satisfied with the normal parts store units, 3F I think.

I have been considering one from these guys, http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com
They aren't cheap though....

If you do it let us know! We need more options.

thanks for making and posting the vids of the finished vans. love seeing all the possible configurations.

No problem, thanks for watching.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Rear

10922724_960719523947276_4826550504655947788_n.jpg

Final stretch!

11071472_960996800586215_5765793713984706558_n.jpg

e350vegas

Observer
the brakes are worth the upgrade price alone....

Having spent most of my time in AMG Mercedes' at "fun" speeds over the last decade...I can tell you the brakes in this kit are amazing. I love the way they stop my beast! It is shocking how good they feel and how they don't seem to fade on long downhill runs. Great addition to any beast and should be on everyone's list. I am impressed on how they stop around town, at freeway speeds and over ruts, rocks, etc, on nice downhills. Brakes were one of the biggest fears I had in moving to a converted/lifted/modified van...I was very worried adding all the weight would severely compromise the already shoddy breaking system a stock e350 has (lets face it, the stockers are not designed for the extra weight or anything other than freeway commutes...so long extended downhills with the brakes constantly applied may cause brake fade (don't know for sure, since I had this upgrade from Chris right away) but know it happens even in my 600hp AMG with a BBK as big as the wheels). Anyway....get this kit and relax as you take your unit down hill with 7 kiddos in the back! I do!

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I have been considering one from these guys, http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com
They aren't cheap though....

Hey Brian. I was on the fence for one of these recently and figured I'd tighten my oem box first. It cut the dead space (slop) down significantly. It's an easy and free test if you're headed towards a redhead anyway.

For reference I tightened it ~2 turns and it was noticeably stiff at first (hysteresis), and then loosened up over the 2000+ miles I drove the van in the last 2 weeks.

350outrage

Adventurer
Time for Tires!

Well, I finally got off into some sloppy, slippery clay-mud after we had a couple days rain around here, and . . .Suprise! . . . those wimpy 32" UniRoyal Laredos I been running were TOTALLY worthless! (Had to pull the van out with my tractor:ylsmoke:). Can't stand it any more: going for the 33's. Now question is, which one? I notice Chris, you put Toyo At2 on lots of your builds. I'm considering that, or maybe the Duratrac, or the new BFG AT2. Had old BFG At's on my Jeep, and theyre not much of a mud tire either. What are your thoughts between the Toyo's and the Duratracs? I'd really like a tire that's good in mud, snow, ice, and wet. No rock crawling, but maybe occasional sand or silt. Thoughts guys? (BTW, I've already read lots of comparisons until my eyes and butt hurt. . . . would really like to know what You Guys think):sombrero:. Thanks

frig84

Observer
I currently have a 2002 F250. I know you guys are using the front axle for these conversions. Would the brake kit work as an upgrade for my truck.

stormlover

Adventurer
Well, I finally got off into some sloppy, slippery clay-mud after we had a couple days rain around here, and . . .Suprise! . . . those wimpy 32" UniRoyal Laredos I been running were TOTALLY worthless! (Had to pull the van out with my tractor:ylsmoke:). Can't stand it any more: going for the 33's. Now question is, which one? I notice Chris, you put Toyo At2 on lots of your builds. I'm considering that, or maybe the Duratrac, or the new BFG AT2. Had old BFG At's on my Jeep, and theyre not much of a mud tire either. What are your thoughts between the Toyo's and the Duratracs? I'd really like a tire that's good in mud, snow, ice, and wet. No rock crawling, but maybe occasional sand or silt. Thoughts guys? (BTW, I've already read lots of comparisons until my eyes and butt hurt. . . . would really like to know what You Guys think):sombrero:. Thanks

I have 35" Duratracs on my rig and they are considerably better in the snow than BFGs. That's the older style BFG. I'm curious about the new ones as well.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

Love the AT2's, don't have any experience with the Duratrac's.

I currently have a 2002 F250. I know you guys are using the front axle for these conversions. Would the brake kit work as an upgrade for my truck.

Yes & no. It will work but you'll have to change some other things too like the steering & wheels. is the truck lifted? If so how much.

bkbroiler00

Observer

I've run the old BFG A/T on a lot of my previous trucks (tacomas) & jeep. i always thought they kicked *** in all conditions. when i made the switch to 35's on my jeep, i went with the kevlar reinforced goodyear wranglers (which i think is the duratrac). They also kicked ***, seemingly bulletproff on rocks and tough stuff. They were of course louder than the A/Ts. I've been thinking about what tires i'll be running once i'm set up with 4x4 on the van. so many choices! the guy at one of the tire shops i inquired to said the new compound of the BFG A/T is harder, thus not as good in snow/mud. i'm leaning toward the Nitto Grappler G2 or the Toyo's. new tires...so much to think about...gotta love first world problems....good luck with the search. let us know what you end up with and how they perform! :victory:

frig84

Observer
The truck is lifted 4 inches, and has 35x12.5x18 tires on it. The wheels are 18x10. It would be nice to get rid of the unit bearings as well as put some larger brakes on the truck. It does have the Dana 60 front diff instead of the 50.

stormlover

Adventurer
I noticed a difference between the old BFG A/T D-rated versus E-rated in the snow and ice. The D-rated was better. The Duratrac has much better hookup in the snow but is also louder at lower speeds. I don't notice it much at hwy speed but then of course I'm sitting on top of a diesel. This might be debatable but I think the BFGs have better sidewall puncture resistance as well.

350outrage

Adventurer
Hey Storm, how is the Duratrac wearing? I think I'm heading in the direction of the Duratrac, probably just 'cause it looks sipey and gappy, thus ought to be good on snow and mud, which is what I'm faced with the most, (except for really hot asphalt in the Summer). Snowflake rating sounds good too. I hear they are a little soft though, and these Are heavy trucks. Man I just dread cutting loose of this money and then wishing I'd bought a different tire!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78