UJOR Build Thread

I have read most of this thread but haven't seen the answer to my question so gonna ask it here.

How many miles is considered "too many" to invest the time and money into a conversion? I know the business answer will always be never too many miles but there comes a point where there has to be a very diminishing return as vans obviously have a finite life span.

I saw where the Yeti van had 750k miles before swapping out the motor and it seems to be doing fine. Is that normal? I have a 5.4 but figure most everything else is the same beside transmission. Are most of the big wear items those that will be swapped out in the conversion anyway?

I keep going around in circles over getting an Adv bike and keeping my van pretty basic, getting a cheap bike and 2WD lift, or getting 4WD and no motorcycle. There are a ton of variables involved but brainstorming my options right now.

Hope this isn't cluttering up your build thread too much. I was going to call or email you with this question (and many more) but I always end up rambling on forever.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Great question and it does get asked often. Instead of looking at mileage I would direct attention to the condition of the van. When we convert a van it basically gets a complete drivetrain rebuild besides the engine. Rebuilt transmission (or 4x4 mod only), t-case, probably a gear job out back, complete new front suspension and steering/etc. So, worst case scenario is that the engine needs to be replaced somewhere down the road. Not a big deal, 5.4s in particular are fairly well priced for a nice used or rebuilt unit.

Now, if the van is beat up and/or rusty you need to look at the $ and decide if its worth it. I make that decision on a van by van basis.

There are many variables though, would I recommend to sink a ton of $ into a 6.0 with 300k? Not unless you're ok with possibly spending ~15k for a new engine. We've seen and converted a few high mileage 7.3s, they can run forever but I've also seen them fail at 200k. The 5.4s and V10s are much more reliable and easier to deal with/maintain.

Hope my 2 cents help!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Are duallys more of a con than a pro? All I've heard are bad things about debris getting stuck between the duals and causing problems. Is this a legit concern?

Debris getting stuck is a problem but there is also the problem of being able to air them down without the tire walls rubbing. The main reason I dislike them though is that when running on the 2 wheel rut type tracks the duals run up the sides and you get a lot of side to side movement.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Debris getting stuck is a problem but there is also the problem of being able to air them down without the tire walls rubbing. The main reason I dislike them though is that when running on the 2 wheel rut type tracks the duals run up the sides and you get a lot of side to side movement.

Considering the wider track of dual wheels, how do they compare to singles in sand with lowered air pressure; and also what if the duals are lowered to their safe limit so they're not rubbing?

In a truck and trailer scenario where the truck has all singles, and the trailer has duals, does it make any difference at all? In other word, would the trailer pull better with:

1. Duals left fully inflated
2. Duals deflated just to the point where they don't rub
3. Singles left fully inflated
4. Singles deflated the same as the tow vehicle

Any and all input welcome!

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Made some stands for the AlphaVan frame, getting close to drivetrain time! Picking up the engine next week!

13151757_1188759141143312_1565926089826045198_n.jpg

Nice looking frame...
I wish I had the equipment to pull my body and make mine look 1/2 that nice. I'm afraid I'll have to clean mine up the hard way... With a scraper & wire brush and paint under the body with a brush.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yea I like them a lot. Stock wheel, had it blasted and coated to match the bumper. Simple design, rugged.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Black/Blue in for service and some TLC. Headed out west for a big summer trip next month.

Bad light in the shop this AM

13237680_1190455487640344_2060112776187311478_n.jpg

151fab

Observer
Tire and lift size on the TX white xl pope-mobile, maybe I missed it? Just looks bigger than mine and I'm wondering if it's the front end sheet metal and bumper.

By the way. I have the 2004 w/ 6.0L but it's basic trim. Thinking about swapping a newer complete cabin onto my frame/engine/Ujoint to gain the "xlt" trim features and newer body.

Chris, do you see any road-blocks to this plan. Seems that it would be plug/play but manufacturer seem to have a less sane idea regarding common/ shared parts and connections.

tk3

Hi, wondering what the approximate roof height of an E350 with the UJOINT 6 inch lift and 35" tires is? Need to know if it'll fit in my garage. Thanks!

Wood Kutter

Observer
Hi, wondering what the approximate roof height of an E350 with the UJOINT 6 inch lift and 35" tires is? Need to know if it'll fit in my garage. Thanks!

Mine is about 8' high? 92"s loaded and with the springs broken in, it was probably closer to 8' high when the springs were fresh.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

My guess is if you don't have an 8 ft door you won't get in. Most likely a 7.5 ft door won't cut it and I haven't seen one in between sooo.

tk3

Thanks for the replies! I've got a 7 foot door, but fortunately it's just wood siding above the door for about 1.5 ft. before transition to different siding, so it looks like there might be potential to install an 8 footer without huge tearup...it's on the gable end of the garage so shouldn't be load bearing.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies! I've got a 7 foot door, but fortunately it's just wood siding above the door for about 1.5 ft. before transition to different siding, so it looks like there might be potential to install an 8 footer without huge tearup...it's on the gable end of the garage so shouldn't be load bearing.

That lift/tire combo will get you somewhere between 92" and 94" tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears