Ursa Minor Camper Shell for JT Gladiator

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
When I met up with John from Ursa Minor in December 2021 I believe he said that they are currently prioritizing development on the bronco and that the Gladiator build will come after that. I'm guessing we're looking more at 2023 or 2024. Your patience will be rewarded...

This what John told me as well. He's in the thick of designing the top and mkaing moulds for the Bronco now, and as of right now the Gladiator is next in line.

It's coming, but not for a little while.

-Dan

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
A bit strange he's pushed the JT out so far. A few years ago IIRC when the JT was just coming out, it sounded like they weren't too far off. Now, pushing the JT (they've already gained the Jeep market, maybe that's the play here?) for the new Bronco first? Seems a disservice to loyal Jeep clients. :(

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
A bit strange he's pushed the JT out so far. A few years ago IIRC when the JT was just coming out, it sounded like they weren't too far off. Now, pushing the JT (they've already gained the Jeep market, maybe that's the play here?) for the new Bronco first? Seems a disservice to loyal Jeep clients. :(

I can't speak directly to John's experience, but I'm friends with someone who runs a business in a parallel industry and he had a LOT to say about the differences between working with Ford vs Stellantis/Jeep when it comes to getting approved for getting upfitter CAD models, etc. With Ford, it was a one page form filled out, signed, and emailed to a specific contact. They validated some info, and he had CAD models that afternoon. With Stellantis, it was 3 months of back-and-forth, NDA forms to sign, a licensing fee, and more before he could even get the contact info for the person who could provide the models he needed. I think he eventually got there, but he nearly abandoned the project more than once.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

It's worth keeping in mind Ursa Minor started by making tops for the Honda Element... so it's actually us Jeep guys who are the ring ins! ;)

-Dan

campertramper

I think that the lesson in all of this is to pick your vehicle based upon what is available in the market today, not what is promised for the future. The gladiator Ursa minor seems like a particularly complex problem because of the flex between the bed and the cab. Hopefully the product will be possible.

Ark

That is definitely a good point campertramper. That said, I am still a Jeep and an Ursa Minor fanboy. Here's to hoping! The one thing I really appreciate about Ursa Minor is their ability to mostly retain OEM looks and functionality while still having a full camper

The wedge/truck camper trend has me pretty excited about lowering the “friction” to go camping and exploring. While I enjoy following all the full time explorers out there, the reality is my truck is mostly used for commuting, dropping the kids off at daycare and hauling my bike to a trailhead. Having a bed (over the bed....) ready to go all the time makes it just a little more likely that I’ll wander further down some back road somewhere

That said, the current crop of wedge campers really seem to slant a little more “expedition”. They are some really great designs out there but for me, nice composite walls, little windows (or none at all) and big cross braces are great for insulating slightly better and improving security but are actually a pretty big compromise for the activities I do 90% of the time. It’s tough to see traffic while merging with almost no view out the back. It’s also tough to get my bike out of the bed with no (or compromised by big braces) side access.

I currently have an A.R.E. topper it’s awesome. It has good windows with good visibility, keeps the salt off my bike and skis and it has flip-up side windows that give pretty good access to most of the bed. Those big single pane windows aren’t great for temperature while camping but I really appreciate using them 358 days a year. On top of that, the topper matches the truck and looks like it’s supposed to be there.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what Ursa Minor comes up with! Their other camper products add some great camping functionality but look like they’re supposed to be there. (And you can see traffic out the back window!) Not sure how John will tackle the truck challenge. Maybe an over-bed topper or some kind or a roof replacement....... but I hope whatever it is, it looks mostly stock and keeps it daily driver friendly like they have so far. I’m still rooting for a body colored, stock-ish looking molded wedge camper over the bed with an option for nice big, flip up rear and side windows :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I can't speak directly to John's experience, but I'm friends with someone who runs a business in a parallel industry and he had a LOT to say about the differences between working with Ford vs Stellantis/Jeep when it comes to getting approved for getting upfitter CAD models, etc. With Ford, it was a one page form filled out, signed, and emailed to a specific contact. They validated some info, and he had CAD models that afternoon. With Stellantis, it was 3 months of back-and-forth, NDA forms to sign, a licensing fee, and more before he could even get the contact info for the person who could provide the models he needed. I think he eventually got there, but he nearly abandoned the project more than once.

I would have never guessed. Hearing other friends direct experience, it's been very challenging for them to get CAD data from Ford via SEMA and it's a mess when you get it...but Mopar has been easier/more organized. And with how engaged Mopar is in the "scene" (Easter Jeep Safari) and such, I would have thought Mopar would be friendlier to those in the aftermarket.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I would have never guessed. Hearing other friends direct experience, it's been very challenging for them to get CAD data from Ford via SEMA and it's a mess when you get it...but Mopar has been easier/more organized. And with how engaged Mopar is in the "scene" (Easter Jeep Safari) and such, I would have thought Mopar would be friendlier to those in the aftermarket.
It may be a side effect of the Stellantis takeover, or it might have been the specific model info he needed - I said "Stellantis/Jeep" in my original post, but I should have said Stellantis/Ram, as he was looking for Promaster models. That said, I have heard from other sources that even Jeep is not as aftermarket-friendly as they used to be - I think right around the time you started being able to get OEM offroad kit like bumpers, etc. they stopped being quite as helpful to 3rd parties.

camodog

Adventurer
Unfortunately they have no desire to build anything for the JT. They are focusing on the JL and the new Bronco.

This is why I gave up on the keep waiting til “spring” updates.

my quote is going on 18 months old. I wouldn’t hold my breath for any JT products from this company. I don’t care what the owners vapor ware says, it’s not happening anytime soon.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
my quote is going on 18 months old. I wouldn’t hold my breath for any JT products from this company. I don’t care what the owners vapor ware says, it’s not happening anytime soon.

Yes, they take a long time to develop new products, so there is still waiting to be done.

A Gladiator top is coming, you just have to wait.

-Dan

Reactions: Ark

Jay61

Yes, they take a long time to develop new products, so there is still waiting to be done.

A Gladiator top is coming, you just have to wait.

-Dan
I understand that, but I will be ordering a JT within the next year, and at the same time I am presently planning on ordering an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. Without having a good idea as to what it would actually be, and at my age being in my 60s, I would need more than it is coming, I just have to wait, simply because if I am waiting and it did not have the necessary elements to have made my wait worthwhile, I will have lost valuable time which is only getting shorter and shorter for me to be able to do what I want to do before I depart this world. Basically I am planning on being on the road this time next year but would be willing to put that of if the wait offered potentially something different that I might find better for my needs than the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper.

Last edited:

campertramper

I understand that, but I will be ordering a JT within the next year, and at the same time I am presently planning on ordering an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. Without having a good idea as to what it would actually be, and at my age being in my 60s, I would need more than it is coming, I just have to wait, simply because if I am waiting and it did not have the necessary elements to have made my wait worthwhile, I will have lost valuable time which is only getting shorter and shorter for me to be able to do what I want to do before I depart this world. Basically I am planning on being on the road this time next year but would be will to put that of if the wait offered potentially something different that I might find better for my needs.
If I were you, I wouldn't wait either. I think you have to pick your vehicle based upon what is available in the market today, not what is promised for tomorrow. If it were me, I might consider canceling my Gladiator order and just get a JK or JL. The Ursa Minor camper for these jeeps is outstanding and you could definitely overland out of one of them. I guess that I'm just not a fan of the Alu-Cab on a Gladiator set-up - all that aluminum seems like it would be both heavy and conduct heat and cold very efficiently. Also, I don't want to get too personal, but being in your 60's doesn't exactly mean that you are facing the end of the line anytime soon. On average you probably have a few decades if you take care of yourself. In any case, it's important to seize the moment and live your dreams, as none of us really know how much time we have.

Jay61

If I were you, I wouldn't wait either. I think you have to pick your vehicle based upon what is available in the market today, not what is promised for tomorrow. If it were me, I might consider canceling my Gladiator order and just get a JK or JL. The Ursa Minor camper for these jeeps is outstanding and you could definitely overland out of one of them. I guess that I'm just not a fan of the Alu-Cab on a Gladiator set-up - all that aluminum seems like it would be both heavy and conduct heat and cold very efficiently. Also, I don't want to get too personal, but being in your 60's doesn't exactly mean that you are facing the end of the line anytime soon. On average you probably have a few decades if you take care of yourself. In any case, it's important to seize the moment and live your dreams, as none of us really know how much time we have.
I have a 2018 JKUR already which I will be keeping. I have lived out of it for weeks at a time. I am just wanting more living and internal storage space especially for what I am building the Gladiator for. I am in my 60s and my gal will be going to for the camping side of it, she likes that, plus the dog...etc...etc so I know for a fact my JKUR will not cut the mustard. I love to hunt and fish which is why I am building the JT. I especially like to turkey hunt and want to spend some time chasing western birds and then throwing in trout fishing while turkey hunting in southwest Colorado. The way my JKUR is set up, there just won't be the space for my camping gear, food and hunting and fishing gear. I over plan always when I go on long range hunting trips in my vehicle. I live in GA, I would rather have a piece of gear with me and not need it for a successful hunt than to not have it, always an extra gun ....same with rods. I plan on spending a few weeks hunting and do not want to have to make the long drive for supplies during the time I am allotting for hunting and then fishing if I luck up and fill my tags early, I will be going from state to state a lot of the time probably at night and I do not doing my shopping on the fly like that. I am intending to get the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper and I saw this thread.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Good point about an aluminum cabin.
So what's the holdup on the JT UrsaMinor; anyone know? I remember talking with (John is it?) ~2yrs ago, and if camodog has been waiting 18months, that seems about right for timing. A UM top on a JT would be damn sweet.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
So what's the holdup on the JT UrsaMinor; anyone know? I remember talking with (John is it?) ~2yrs ago, and if camodog has been waiting 18months, that seems about right for timing. A UM top on a JT would be damn sweet.

UM decided to design and build a top for the Bronco as their next new product, then after that the plan is for the Gladiator.

Good products take time, and I'd much rather wait till they get it right than rush something to market.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan