Ursa Minor Camper Shell for JT Gladiator

Ark

All of these "wedge style truck campers" that have been popping up in the last few years really seem to hold their value well. Not everyone is in the same financial situation but if Jay61 is looking for a rig now, why not pick the best one that's available today and if UM comes out with a (another) revolutionary camper in a few years, just sell and upgrade? I have lots of confidence that UM will pull through with a great design but it would be a real bummer to wait 1, 2, 3+ years only for them to come out with something that didn't quite fit your ideal.

Mules

Thanks for creating this thread. I'm curious what you think would be a good price for a production version of my camper. I'm still testing the prototype, and have a number of improvements I want to make. I've had a good response on the concept so far. Let me know what you think a competitive price would be for this camper ($10K, $15K, $25K?). Compared to Alucab or Ursa Minor, should this be priced higher or lower?IMG_6952.JPGIMG_6945.JPGIMG_7015.JPGIMG_7683.JPG

Jay61

All of these "wedge style truck campers" that have been popping up in the last few years really seem to hold their value well. Not everyone is in the same financial situation but if Jay61 is looking for a rig now, why not pick the best one that's available today and if UM comes out with a (another) revolutionary camper in a few years, just sell and upgrade? I have lots of confidence that UM will pull through with a great design but it would be a real bummer to wait 1, 2, 3+ years only for them to come out with something that didn't quite fit your ideal.
I ended going with the Alu Cab Canopy Camper and I am happy with how it has turned out.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I ended going with the Alu Cab Canopy Camper and I am happy with how it has turned out.
Have you had it across a scale fully loaded for adventure?
I'm curious if it's possible to stay within GVWR with the canopy camper. Everyone I know with one is well over 1,000lbs over the legal limit, even with the max tow Gladiator.

-Dan

Jay61

I'm curious if it's possible to stay within GVWR with the canopy camper. Everyone I know with one is well over 1,000lbs over the legal limit, even with the max tow Gladiator.

-Dan
Not with it loaded, water, extra fuel (I have the LRA Auxiliary Fuel Tank) or all my gear.

wild1

Adventurer

-Dan , it’s amazing how quick it adds up! The main reason I went with a GFC camper was that it gave me a couple of hundred pound extra to play with. Here’s a picture of a full load on the Gladiator, with my wife driving it was under 6400 pounds.

Attachments

• 1245BFC6-EA78-47FF-9786-BAC9245E57C3.jpeg
    1245BFC6-EA78-47FF-9786-BAC9245E57C3.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
wild1 said:
it’s amazing how quick it adds up! The main reason I went with a GFC camper was that it gave me a couple of hundred pound extra to play with. Here’s a picture of a full load on the Gladiator, with my wife driving it was under 6400 pounds.

Is the GVWR on the Rubicon JT 6250?

-Dan

wild1

Adventurer
Is the GVWR on the Rubicon JT 6250?

-Dan
Yep, and you’re right it would be very easy to be over 7000 with extra fuel and water. The tough thing with the Gladiator is the rear Dana 44 is not all that robust and most of that additional weight falls on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan