Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering what you guys favor as an emergency communication device; spot, delorme, etc.

The Spot is a great device, and pretty cheap considering it comes with recovery insurance. However, the best thing you can do is get your HAM licsense. You can hit a repeater from just about anywhere on a simple 2M HAM radio. I would reccommend both.

carbon60

Explorer
InReach, particularly if you'll be outside of any radio coverage. If you need advice, specific parts/tools, etc; the Delorme inReach's two-way Rex messaging is great.

Charlie56

Adventurer
If any of you have suggestions for disbursed camping spots on the north rim, or near / in Bryce, Zion, arches, Yellowstone I would be extremely grateful.

For the North Rim, Try Tuweep
36.224616° -113.060614°

Here are coordinates for a spot on Gooseberry Mesa that I like, not far from Zion. Just beware, if it rains the road goes from a Class 1 or 2 to nearly impassable.
37.128605° -113.102110°

Here is a spot near Arches.
38.573996° -109.915019°
You might also consider the White Rim Trail.

Du5tySmile

Thanks everyone, appreciate the 411. Due to the short prep time I got a spot, but will look into the ham radio when I get back.

Charlie56; Many thanks for the coordinates, hitting the road today and aiming for Zion, I'll check out G
oosberry mesa :)

-Adam

kb7our

Explorer
What tire pressure would you guys reccommend for roads such as the one to Tuweep?

I like to run ~14 PSI with E rated Cooper 33's vs. 28 normal street pressure on these kinds of dirt roads, most of which was good dirt road last year (45 MPH + in many places) up until the Ranger station where things slow down the last few miles in and get rougher. Could probably go a little lower at increased risk of slipping off the rim depending on speed and terrain. It's a great trip, ideally for spring or fall and probably most of the winter. A bit warm during summer. Have a blast. Highly recommend White Rim Trail as well - ran same 50% pressure there too. I'd like to hit the South Rim Havasupai Overlook area this fall if time off work permits. Attached pic is at the Tuweep entrance sign if I recall correctly.

Toroweap30.jpg

Last edited:

SLOfizz

Observer
You don't need to air down much to get to any of those locations. Very good traction and mostly maintained roads. I was rocking 25 PSI on 33" Duratracs. No issue. Just air down for comfort.

west_ok

Adventurer
I like to run ~14 PSI with E rated Cooper 33's vs. 28 normal street pressure on these kinds of dirt roads, most of which was good dirt road last year (45 MPH + in many places) up until the Ranger station where things slow down the last few miles in and get rougher. Could probably go a little lower at increased risk of slipping off the rim depending on speed and terrain. It's a great trip, ideally for spring or fall and probably most of the winter. A bit warm during summer. Have a blast. Highly recommend White Rim Trail as well - ran same 50% pressure there too. I'd like to hit the South Rim Havasupai Overlook area this fall if time off work permits. Attached pic is at the Tuweep entrance sign if I recall correctly.

View attachment 248103

What kind of bracket is your propane tank attached to on the back?

B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jurfie

Adventurer
There’s a longer thread about campers for the 2 door JK somewhere, but the conclusion I made was it’s both a little too short for a decent bed, and once mounted there’s no good way of climbing up into the camper from inside. A short bed, outside access only, but probably the same price range… even for me, an Autohome would be a better solution on a 2 door.

Bumping an old comment, and hoping Ursa Minor is still around. :wavey:

I realize that the roof is shorter, but it is still 72"...what about a short (say 12") slide at the front or back? With heavy duty slides available, it seems like it could be an option. The top shell could be fixed, and the bottom frame could be split to accommodate. The difference in length (when open) could be bridged with the canvas.

Access could be provided directly over the front seats.

Yes, this would involve new molds since there is little (if anything) that is the same on the JK vs. JKU. So there is a significant capital cost there. But while you are at it, you could make the sides removable for safari-style driving (allowing those of us who love open air driving, but recognize it is a bit of a chore to remove a ~250lb top, especially alone) and/or top-hinged sides for easy access.

Yes, the 2-door is smaller and maybe not as suitable for long trips like the JKU, but take the back seat out and there is lots of room for weekend warriors or long excursions for light packers. As capable as the JKU is, The 2-door JK has advantages off road. And it is cheaper.

Yes, there is always the option of a RTT, but then you need a rack, and you add a LOT more wind resistance (and noise, and lost mpgs) with that set up. With a J30-type top, you get the advantage of a lower profile and hard shell for tight trails and deflecting tree limbs.

I think Ursa Minor is overlooking a potentially large market of interested buyers. There are a lot of us who love overnight off-road trips, but hate sleeping in a tent on the ground. Personally, I'm very unlikely to purchase a RTT, but I'd be interested in a 2-door version of the J30. While tempting, I'm not going to buy a JKU just to get a J30, because I don't need the extra space of the 4-door. :cool:

kb7our

Explorer
What kind of bracket is your propane tank attached to on the back?

B.J.

The bracket is part AT holder and part custom to fit and match the AEV corner guards. Parted out top and lots of accessories including bracket sold to a nice forum member before selling 07 JKU and replacing it with a 14. Very sturdy and light weight aluminum then PC'd. Hope these pics help...

Propane 7.jpgPropane 12.jpgPropane 14.jpg

west_ok

Adventurer
The bracket is part AT holder and part custom to fit and match the AEV corner guards. Parted out top and lots of accessories including bracket sold to a nice forum member before selling 07 JKU and replacing it with a 14. Very sturdy and light weight aluminum then PC'd. Hope these pics help...

View attachment 248719View attachment 248720View attachment 248721

Nice the versions I've seen look like they attach to the hard top this attaches to the corner guard? Thanks

B.J.

Justincredible

Adventurer
Bumping an old comment, and hoping Ursa Minor is still around. :wavey:

I realize that the roof is shorter, but it is still 72"...what about a short (say 12") slide at the front or back? With heavy duty slides available, it seems like it could be an option. The top shell could be fixed, and the bottom frame could be split to accommodate. The difference in length (when open) could be bridged with the canvas.

Access could be provided directly over the front seats.

Yes, this would involve new molds since there is little (if anything) that is the same on the JK vs. JKU. So there is a significant capital cost there. But while you are at it, you could make the sides removable for safari-style driving (allowing those of us who love open air driving, but recognize it is a bit of a chore to remove a ~250lb top, especially alone) and/or top-hinged sides for easy access.

Yes, the 2-door is smaller and maybe not as suitable for long trips like the JKU, but take the back seat out and there is lots of room for weekend warriors or long excursions for light packers. As capable as the JKU is, The 2-door JK has advantages off road. And it is cheaper.

Yes, there is always the option of a RTT, but then you need a rack, and you add a LOT more wind resistance (and noise, and lost mpgs) with that set up. With a J30-type top, you get the advantage of a lower profile and hard shell for tight trails and deflecting tree limbs.

I think Ursa Minor is overlooking a potentially large market of interested buyers. There are a lot of us who love overnight off-road trips, but hate sleeping in a tent on the ground. Personally, I'm very unlikely to purchase a RTT, but I'd be interested in a 2-door version of the J30. While tempting, I'm not going to buy a JKU just to get a J30, because I don't need the extra space of the 4-door. :cool:

Agreed. I have a 2 door and have no desire for a 4 door.
A RTT isn't really an option, because the Jeep wouldn't fit in my garage with the added height of a rack and tent.
A J30 like top would be perfect for me, especially with removable side and rear panels. I'm not really concerned with entering from inside the Jeep, exterior access would be fine.

My current solution is a homemade teardrop, but sometimes a trailer is more hassle than it's worth.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Agreed. I have a 2 door and have no desire for a 4 door.
A RTT isn't really an option, because the Jeep wouldn't fit in my garage with the added height of a rack and tent.
A J30 like top would be perfect for me, especially with removable side and rear panels. I'm not really concerned with entering from inside the Jeep, exterior access would be fine.

My current solution is a homemade teardrop, but sometimes a trailer is more hassle than it's worth.

I just wish I had the skills of jscherb, then I'd build/modify my own 2-dr J30. :26_7_2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle