Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have a Kelty Carport as an awning. A major PITA to setup, but up until my Spring 2014 trip worked fairly well. (I saw Mario's awning when it was still in the planning stages, and it looks a lot simpler to setup.) I had it (the Kelty) setup on the White Rim trail as a shade structure. Halfway through cooking dinner, a major storm blew in (very fast). Lighting, Thunder, Rain, then Hail. I could not get it down fast enough. In the middle of the hail storm that was just pounding the heck out of us this thing was flapping around like a sail. I could not get it unfastened, so I ended up pulling out the knife and cutting off the velcro attachment strips.

View attachment 240434

Hah, I lost my portable awning on the white rim trail too!

null-126.jpg

@ Presto: thxs for the "wow"! ( I am kinda impressed myself)
@ Slofizz: Since John made those 4 indentations which make it a even surface to attache brackets too, I started planning.

I was told by John that the most forward indentation has a steel plate worked into the polyester material from the hardtop. So I was able to place a tread in there and screw 2 M8 screws straight into it.
The two last indentations are very easy, just drill 2 holes (each bracket has 2 holes) and put the M8's through and attached a washer and nut on the back and tighten. Don't forget to seal with some sikaflex.
Now the most difficult one is the 2nd indentation since there is no steel plate to set a thread, but also no acces from inside! (John, maybe a tip,to set steal plates on al 4 indentations..).

What I did was remove the speaker bar which is attached to the rollbar, Had the 2 holes drilled and put the screws through, then had my girlfriend (way smaller hands and arm, not talking about her being more flexable then me :p)
Reach over the backside of the rollbar and attched washer and nut. Then with a rachet and some extensions reach over the frontside of the rollbar to tighten those nuts.

Worked fine, with some blood, sweat and curses...

Now the brackets, they where custom made from rust free steel and powdercoated for the looks. Every steel company should be able to do that!

Hope this was of some help, and if there any more questions, shoot!

Oh, today is solar panel installing day and tomorrow we are leaving for 5 weeks Turkey, Georgia, Armenia and Black Sea Expedition....

Elmer

Terratrotter.eu

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
@ Presto: thxs for the "wow"! ( I am kinda impressed myself)
@ Slofizz: Since John made those 4 indentations which make it a even surface to attache brackets too, I started planning.

I was told by John that the most forward indentation has a steel plate worked into the polyester material from the hardtop. So I was able to place a tread in there and screw 2 M8 screws straight into it.
The two last indentations are very easy, just drill 2 holes (each bracket has 2 holes) and put the M8's through and attached a washer and nut on the back and tighten. Don't forget to seal with some sikaflex.
Now the most difficult one is the 2nd indentation since there is no steel plate to set a thread, but also no acces from inside! (John, maybe a tip,to set steal plates on al 4 indentations..).

What I did was remove the speaker bar which is attached to the rollbar, Had the 2 holes drilled and put the screws through, then had my girlfriend (way smaller hands and arm, not talking about her being more flexable then me :p)
Reach over the backside of the rollbar and attched washer and nut. Then with a rachet and some extensions reach over the frontside of the rollbar to tighten those nuts.

Worked fine, with some blood, sweat and curses...

Now the brackets, they where custom made from rust free steel and powdercoated for the looks. Every steel company should be able to do that!

Hope this was of some help, and if there any more questions, shoot!

Oh, today is solar panel installing day and tomorrow we are leaving for 5 weeks Turkey, Georgia, Armenia and Black Sea Expedition....

Elmer

Terratrotter.eu

Looks awesome! Great work. :beer:
Will look forward to following your expedition reports!
Safe journey! :smiley_drive:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Thanks for the great info.

Please post pics of your solar panel install - I'm planning mine now, and also some pics and stories from your trip would be excellent too!!

Have fun,
-Dan

Will try to make some pic's tomorrow from solar instal. Not as easy as I thought!!!

You can follow our expedition on "terratrotter.eu". We will try to update our website as often as possible with a travel journal and some pictures.

Cheers

Elmer & Nicole

image.jpg

High Water

Baja Bliss
Terratrotter,
I'm not sure what is more impressive your Jeep or the neighborhood streets with paver bricks and quality Dutch houses. We don't get housing developments like that in the States. Nice Ursa setup. I look forward to to the trip report.
:coffee:

Du5tySmile

1st big trip

Just bought my J30 and a '14 Rubicon, and I've been quite happy as I see everyone else here is. The Wife and I are about to leave on a 2 week trip, starting with the north rim of the Grand Canyon and working our way north to Yellowstone.

If any of you have suggestions for disbursed camping spots on the north rim, or near / in Bryce, Zion, arches, Yellowstone I would be extremely grateful.

My Rubicon is stock, and I don't have off-roading experience, but I am an adventurous soul who's been an avid camper, mountain biker and Motorcyclist for 25+ years. I would love to explore jeep trails and campsites that are off the beaten path, and looking forward to developing my off road skills.

As I said, any recommendations would be greatfully appreciated. As a bonus question, I'm wondering what you guys favor as an emergency communication device; spot, delorme, etc.

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to sharing stories from the road :)

jomobco

Now Decanter
Just bought my J30 and a '14 Rubicon, and I've been quite happy as I see everyone else here is. The Wife and I are about to leave on a 2 week trip, starting with the north rim of the Grand Canyon and working our way north to Yellowstone.

If any of you have suggestions for disbursed camping spots on the north rim, or near / in Bryce, Zion, arches, Yellowstone I would be extremely grateful.

My Rubicon is stock, and I don't have off-roading experience, but I am an adventurous soul who's been an avid camper, mountain biker and Motorcyclist for 25+ years. I would love to explore jeep trails and campsites that are off the beaten path, and looking forward to developing my off road skills.

As I said, any recommendations would be greatfully appreciated. As a bonus question, I'm wondering what you guys favor as an emergency communication device; spot, delorme, etc.

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to sharing stories from the road :)

Take 109 South near Fredonia. Plenty to explore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears