Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

OldCrow

For me anyway, cost is always important but time is more so. I have a long bucket list of trips I want to take in the jeep and limited time off from work in which to take them. None of them are in California. So burning 4-5 days on a round trip I-5 run to San Diego and back from Seattle does not appeal to me. I'd rather spend that time on the the Olympic Peninsula or the headwaters of the Skeena in BC chasing steelhead and chinook. YMMV of course...

Thanks for all the input everyone. I placed my order with John this afternoon.

spagthorpe

Observer
Greetings fellow 10A owner.

I definitely get that. I technically accrue more vacation at this job than I ever have, but somehow I can't really get away to use but about half of it any year. And never in long stretches, so I have to pick my trips carefully. Usually stretching a long weekend. Still, San Diego is a nice destination, not only for the great food and atmosphere, but there is some great offroading within 1-2 hours of the area. Enjoy your top though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on one this year. Just not sure when.

I drove from Denver to SD in October to have mine put on and spent my first night in the new top at doheny state beach with a nice offshore breeze and it was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldCrow

Well, the truck will come tomorrow to pick up my JKU and haul it down to John to fit the top. I'm looking forward to sleeping in the camper on a gravel bar next to my favorite steelhead run on the Olympic Peninsula by the end of the month!

It's an Element, not a JKU but a friend of mine and her husband are half-way through a year long round trip to Patagonia and back in their E-Camper. They don't seem to be having any problems with the camper but they did kill the suspension in the Element...
https://southofseattle.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• Element_Chile.jpg
    Element_Chile.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 84

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
All,

After years reading this thread, and asking for photos and details, I want to say a very big thanks to all of you J30 owners.

I spent a few days at the Ursa Minor shop last week, where John and the crew installed and modified the J30 I've been dreaming about for a few years.

John and crew made mine a little special - I moved the roll bar out of the way, and so they cutout a huge hatch in the back so it's all standing room. John then made a removable sleeping setup that's working great.

My full story and write-up is here, with more photos and details on the modifications:
http://theroadchoseme.com/ursa-minor-j30-pop-up-camper

The J30 has completely transformed my Jeep. I could not be happier.

Massive thanks to John and crew who put in a couple of late nights to get me on the road.

-Dan

P.S. For anyone considering this purchase, I listed my stock 2011 black hard top on San Diego Craigslist and had no trouble selling it for $1250. If I had patience I think I could have asked a little more. It's something to think about for anyone considering a J30, you can basically knock that off the price.

While I was in the shop the guys were making more J30's, and were kind enough to let me take some photos. I figured others would be as interested as I am in how it comes together.
The attention to detail blew me away.

IMG_4835.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

Last edited:

OldCrow

I suspect that white top will be installed on my 2013 10A right about now... Looking forward to getting it back up here to Washington and out on the river bank!

Thanks again for the photos Dan!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
All,

After years reading this thread, and asking for photos and details, I want to say a very big thanks to all of you J30 owners.

I spent a few days at the Ursa Minor shop last week, where John and the crew installed and modified the J30 I've been dreaming about for a few years.

John and crew made mine a little special - I moved the roll bar out of the way, and so they cutout a huge hatch in the back so it's all standing room. John then made a removable sleeping setup that's working great.

My full story and write-up is here, with more photos and details on the modifications:
http://theroadchoseme.com/ursa-minor-j30-pop-up-camper

The J30 has completely transformed my Jeep. I could not be happier.

Massive thanks to John and crew who put in a couple of late nights to get me on the road.

-Dan

P.S. For anyone considering this purchase, I listed my stock 2011 black hard top on San Diego Craigslist and had no trouble selling it for $1250. If I had patience I think I could have asked a little more. It's something to think about for anyone considering a J30, you can basically knock that off the price.

While I was in the shop the guys were making more J30's, and were kind enough to let me take some photos. I figured others would be as interested as I am in how it comes together.
The attention to detail blew me away.

View attachment 335117

View attachment 335116

View attachment 335118

View attachment 335119

View attachment 335120

View attachment 335121

View attachment 335122

View attachment 335123

View attachment 335124

View attachment 335126

Love the idea of re-working the cage to allow more space in the rear

whec716

Observer
I've been emailing back and forth with John and I'm very pleased with his willingness to work with my needs and his amazing email response time. I can't wait to order mine (in May). Just curious why most Jeepers seem to go with the J30 over the j180. For me, I want the solid roof over the tent and don't require all the space of the j180.

Septu

Explorer
I've been emailing back and forth with John and I'm very pleased with his willingness to work with my needs and his amazing email response time. I can't wait to order mine (in May). Just curious why most Jeepers seem to go with the J30 over the j180. For me, I want the solid roof over the tent and don't require all the space of the j180.

I guess it would depend on where you're planning on traveling and/or living and using this. I like the idea of all the space in the 180, but I dislike the idea of having to "make up" the bed nightly and that's a lot of canvas/mesh/whatever to deal with if it's raining a lot where you plan on going (where does it go exactly when the tent is closed?). Besides... with the modifications that they made for Dan (Grecy) where he can still stand up in the rear (and he's NOT short), you still get the benefit of the full head height in the rear, while keeping the benefit of the hard roof and being able to leave your bedding up top (unless you want the head room, then you move it - aka just stuff it forward over the front seats). Personally if I ever go this route (unlikely unless I win the lotto), this modification would be at the top of my list.

It's one of the main reasons I switched from a Teupi Kukenam to a James Baroud Escape - even though it cost me ~4500 CND to make that switch. The easier/faster setup time and less canvas to deal with was everything I wanted.

goin camping

Explorer

Went with the J30 because it can be opened very quickly and easily. In the rain I only got a forearm wet setting it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears