US G outfiters/rebuilder.

gary in ohio

Explorer
I know for the land rover folks places such as East coast rovers caters to the higher end defender rebuilds. Anyone in the US doing the same type of things for the G-wagons?

Gary

zimm

Expedition Leader
i dont think thats an operation comparable to ECR. i'm not saying the work isnt quality, just discussing the scope. i dont think theres a "G" version of TLC or ECR.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
IMHO you are correct Zimm. As a business owner and G-fanatic, this is something that has been under my skin for awhile...and something I've asked the forums for input before. What makes people spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on old Cruiser's and Rover's but NOT G-Wagen's?
Many have said that more see the Cruiser's and Rover's as classic's they've had in the family for a long time, they're special to them, and it's now time to revive them.
Others have said that there are far more early C/R's vs G's in the USA so therefore higher volume = larger market, parts cost less, etc.

I guess I just wish there was a similar market for G's over here like there is for ORC, Tschiewagon, Desert Service, heck even Hellgeth(non-G) in Europe....because I'd love to be involved with it!!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I know for the land rover folks places such as East coast rovers caters to the higher end defender rebuilds. Anyone in the US doing the same type of things for the G-wagons?

Gary

Are you looking to build a high end G Gary?
The components are available, and there are some very competent places in the USA that can make it happen.

zimm

Expedition Leader
IMHO you are correct Zimm. As a business owner and G-fanatic, this is something that has been under my skin for awhile...and something I've asked the forums for input before. What makes people spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on old Cruiser's and Rover's but NOT G-Wagen's?
Many have said that more see the Cruiser's and Rover's as classic's they've had in the family for a long time, they're special to them, and it's now time to revive them.
Others have said that there are far more early C/R's vs G's in the USA so therefore higher volume = larger market, parts cost less, etc.

I guess I just wish there was a similar market for G's over here like there is for ORC, Tschiewagon, Desert Service, heck even Hellgeth(non-G) in Europe....because I'd love to be involved with it!!

no volume and much more limited vehicle than it comes to aftermarket support.

price a rear quarter panel for an fj40, a defender, and a merc. its just not as friendly.

course if i hadnt rebuilt the trannny, id be doing a US engine swap.

zimm

Expedition Leader
im not going to say it isnt a neat truck, but you really dont get what you pay for with these, i honestly dont believe thats a valid statement. a ford fiesta has window regulators that will last 20 years, and there are parts on a G that have no excuse for failing at ANY price point. i would RUN from a used AMG model. auto quality in general in 2012 is about equal brand to brand.

if youre dead set on a solid front axle used SUV, an fj 80 is the the equal in performance and durability for less than half the cost.

based on my experience, if i had to have just one used truck, that i had to take off road, and drive on road, and live with the rest of my life, id take an lx470. its more reliable, more comfortable, a more service friendly design, and the parts dont cost as much.

to buy new... it maaay be a G, but you could buy 3 rubicons and keep two in storage! and it WILL outperform a g offroad. and it is quite livable as a 2012. it is durable. it is reliable.

all that said, for me its mostly visual. i like boxes. i had an 80s trooper. i like swing load doors. im tall, i like head room, and im better in trucks that have good traffic light visibility.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Good point on the 80/100.

its subjective, but ive had plenty of trucks.

its just weird to contend a lexus's strong point is the cost of parts! i never thought i'd do that! whats pissing me at the moment is potential bad wiring on an m104, and an upper engine wiring harness, which is 1100 bucks. the throttle actuator? another 1100, and its all their mis-design. i wont pay it, i'll solder it myself. theres no reason to rape customers when the motor isnt even specific to a low volume truck. it was in c classes ********************************, that was supposed to be a plus for parts procurement. MB is NOT friendly. i've learned my lesson.

since im making this into a hunting/distance rig specifically, i thought of grabbing a 05' for a DD, but i'm a bit turned off by the severity of problems i keep running into on MB sites. a SWB rubie is looking better and better for DD. the only issue with my lexus, is, after all this time, im bored with it.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
since im making this into a hunting/distance rig specifically, i thought of grabbing a 05' for a DD, but i'm a bit turned off by the severity of problems i keep running into on MB sites. a SWB rubie is looking better and better for DD. the only issue with my lexus, is, after all this time, im bored with it.

Severity of what for '05's; window regulators, crank position sensors, etc?

Throw a 1HD-T or whatever they're called, or do a Cummins 12vTD into it! :)

zimm

Expedition Leader
i get cummins motors wholesale. ive thought of it. but frankly, even at that cost, the project is not made up in fuel savings... one would have do it for the love of diesel!

what im referring to isnt 05 specific, although theyve since changed regulator design again. what im implying is owning an MB out of warranty is a risky proposition. their mechanical's dont last any longer than anyone elses, but due to the inherent value in the vehicle, they get serviced longer and enjoy a reputation that is quite frankly unearned. the reality is, you'll be replacing just as many, if not more parts on MB's than chevys or yotas, but you'll foot triple the cost for the parts. the wiring snafoo really has me steamed. when this motor goes, its getting american iron.

having just gutted the 95, i can tell you the material quality and assembly (outside of the carpet) is exactly the same as a 90's VW passat. add to that a drivetrain adapted from a C class, and you tell me what the original owner paid 120g for? i was wrong about this product. oopps!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
i get cummins motors wholesale. ive thought of it. but frankly, even at that cost, the project is not made up in fuel savings... one would have do it for the love of diesel!

what im referring to isnt 05 specific, although theyve since changed regulator design again. what im implying is owning an MB out of warranty is a risky proposition. their mechanical's dont last any longer than anyone elses, but due to the inherent value in the vehicle, they get serviced longer and enjoy a reputation that is quite frankly unearned. the reality is, you'll be replacing just as many, if not more parts on MB's than chevys or yotas, but you'll foot triple the cost for the parts. the wiring snafoo really has me steamed. when this motor goes, its getting american iron.

having just gutted the 95, i can tell you the material quality and assembly (outside of the carpet) is exactly the same as a 90's VW passat. add to that a drivetrain adapted from a C class, and you tell me what the original owner paid 120g for? i was wrong about this product. oopps!

Which wiring snafoo?

Ha, '90s Passat's...BTDT!
All the front cab interior as you know is indeed C-Class. Silly that MB was so greedy with the USA W463 G's. Give me a plain jane W461 Worker/Pro please!

Longtallsally

Adventurer
As a point of reference, G's are not even common over here in Stuttgart. And if you think parts in the states are expensive, try Europe. We got a merry Christmas for the hard top for our '85 at €1500- they are €3000 BEFORE hardware.

And to buy a non rust bucket one will cost around €20k.

Comparatively, a similar vintage Rover will be around half that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online