US G outfiters/rebuilder.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Having shopped for and test drove a few Used G's this is a pretty interesting thread. I can't say I'm surprised about the cost of parts, I expected that. What I wasn't expecting was the reliability issues.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Having shopped for and test drove a few Used G's this is a pretty interesting thread. I can't say I'm surprised about the cost of parts, I expected that. What I wasn't expecting was the reliability issues.

I'm still unsure of what reliability issues we're talking about.
The M113 V8's are amazing issues, been around a long time in a lot of cars. Yes, there are window regulator issues that now have an updated install, serp belt tensioner's that can fail, crank position sensors that can crap out(common on other cars as it's just an electrical component). There was a good "buyers guide" thread on P3 but I can't seem to find it right now. If you'd like me to find it for you, just LMK and I'll dig deeper.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Well I have a 2002 G500, the prices for some of parts are less expensive than the earlier trucks and availability is easy. In 4 years I have spent about $3K in maintenance and $27K on purchase and it drives as well as the day I got it in 2008. It actually drives as nice as a brand new G550 I drove a few years ago in Europe. The frame and chassis are overbuilt and extremely durable, the axles are strong with factory lockers. Engine is a bit thirsty (14mpg overall), but a real champ on the freeway and tons of torque for really soft sand off the road. Turns a 33 or 35" tire without suffering power loss or needing a gearing change.

Basically, I just put on 33's and can go any where, and I do...

The Gwagen is just a great out of the box offroader that is priced to be depreciated by a gentle city slicker, then the lucky hardcore 4x4 market gets to pick it up down the road

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well I have a 2002 G500, the prices for some of parts are less expensive than the earlier trucks and availability is easy. In 4 years I have spent about $3K in maintenance and $27K on purchase and it drives as well as the day I got it in 2008. It actually drives as nice as a brand new G550 I drove a few years ago in Europe. The frame and chassis are overbuilt and extremely durable, the axles are strong with factory lockers. Engine is a bit thirsty (14mpg overall), but a real champ on the freeway and tons of torque for really soft sand off the road. Turns a 33 or 35" tire without suffering power loss or needing a gearing change.

Basically, I just put on 33's and can go any where, and I do...

The Gwagen is just a great out of the box offroader that is priced to be depreciated by a gentle city slicker, then the lucky hardcore 4x4 market gets to pick it up down the road

Ohhh yeah!

I love it when a vehicle depreciates before I get it. :victory:

-Loving my new '03 G500 (Tectite over Black) Eric!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Do I even need to ask... picts? :elkgrin:

Soon....I'll have a build thread.
My FrontRunner 2.4M roof rack, Fiamma F35 Pro 2.2M awning, and Autohome Columbus Variant are all jones'n to go on. More goodies like a set of Hutchinson's are already en route. :wings:

zimm

Expedition Leader
Soon....I'll have a build thread.
My FrontRunner 2.4M roof rack, Fiamma F35 Pro 2.2M awning, and Autohome Columbus Variant are all jones'n to go on. More goodies like a set of Hutchinson's are already en route. :wings:

you bought a set huchinsons? nice. they are going to be the bling i add when the interior is done.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
you bought a set huchinsons? nice. they are going to be the bling i add when the interior is done.

Yup, brand new(I got the non-bling version though). Waiting for 5 of them and 8 others to arrive as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior