Useful hitch covers

jgdarcy

I've just had my second rubber Toyota hitch cover stolen from my truck. While they are inexpensive, I don't see the trend stopping. I started looking at the covers that can lock in place a locking hitch pin, and then wondered if there are any practical covers the can be used.

I've seen steps, bottle openers, and a lot of decorative covers. Anyone have anything else useful in their receiver?

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Yup.
hitchrecoveryshackle.jpg

kwill

Observer
I have one like Sabre's on my JKU but I have this on my T4R:
smittybilt_beaver_step_recovery_strap_zpszstloavj.jpg

It is a recovery point, a step and provides a little parking lot protection.

mobob

Smittybuilt beaver bar. It's a heavy chunk of metal and has saved a few scratches to my number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mkitchen

Explorer
A step?

I am looking for a step that drops down lower that the receiver. My bumper is quite a ways up and I use it to get into the back of my pickup bed. A step that splits the difference between ground and bumper would be great. The step would only be mounted when needed.

As far as hitch covers, I quite using them a long time ago. It doesn't do anything protection wise and the cosmetics issue isn't really an issue.
Mikey

Dragos28

Adventurer

becareful with that locking pin.
I've gone through 3 of them and they always fail from off road vibrations (granted i'm doing 80 off road)

I've given up on them as they are unreliable.
Ive ordered one from 4wheel parts, one off amazon and the latest one from walmart. all were junk.

greggNJ

Observer

Nice! I can't believe I haven't seen this before. I may look into that. I have a Warn receiver shackle in the Jeep and a rubber cover on the hitch. It would be nice to have something to keep someone from bumping into the tire and damaging the tailgate...

kwill

Observer
I am looking for a step that drops down lower that the receiver. My bumper is quite a ways up and I use it to get into the back of my pickup bed. A step that splits the difference between ground and bumper would be great. The step would only be mounted when needed.

As far as hitch covers, I quite using them a long time ago. It doesn't do anything protection wise and the cosmetics issue isn't really an issue.
Mikey

This might be a good option for you:
81uIj-yeSfL._SL1500__zpsq11wffi0.jpg

MOguy

Explorer

I wouldn't trust that receiver, that step or that strap for recovery.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Hitch cover

I wouldn't trust that receiver, that step or that strap for recovery.

I am not sure what part you are loosing, if it is the clevis just tighten it up (not too tight) then zip tie the pin to the clevis, you won't lose another clevis ever! Can't lose the lug since it's locked, right? mjmcdowell

MOguy

Explorer
I am not sure what part you are loosing, if it is the clevis just tighten it up (not too tight) then zip tie the pin to the clevis, you won't lose another clevis ever! Can't lose the lug since it's locked, right? mjmcdowell

Not sure what you are saying but what I am saying I would use nothing in this picture to recover a vehicle. It would make a fine step and maybe good for a tie down point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger