Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

How were you able to able to pick up your camper, late to the forum here. I believe I have a camper complete or nearly complete there now, I'm Thomas M. referenced above by crewcabdaddy.
I can't get into the details here (yet), but you'll want to get in touch with Rone (CrewCabDaddy) who can hook you up with the group of people who are getting whatever they are able to from the warehouse (everything is legal ftr). I can DM you his phone number also.

Well I didn't think this would be my first post.

As you all may know Vagabond outdoors is no more. Phil is MIA no one has any contact with him he pretty much ghosted everyone he knows.

Some of you my know we at BAMF were laser processing and forming the aluminum for the drifters back when they first started. They moved to another supplier when aluminum prices raised in 2019ish.

Fast forward to a month ago,
I seen all of this going down on forums and FB groups so I tried contacting to no avail. Drove by the shop almost daily for a while to closed doors every time. I got in touch with the building owner who confirmed they are no longer in his unit. I've been told there is about 60 to 70 un fulfilled orders with deposits placed (not sure if that's accurate) but that's what I'm told. After some more digging I figured with us having the CAD files/tooling to make these in house and the local company making the tents, Has dozens pre cut but holding on finishing due to non payment, we could help ease some of the pain that this caused.
I reached out to the patent holder of the drifters (not vagabond by the way) to see if they had an issue with BAMF building at least the units for the customers that have been effected by this and they agreed.

This seems to be the most active thread so I'm assuming most that have been effected are here. I'll be posting a video on youtube as well.

So if you have a pending order with vagabond or even better if someone has a list already of those affected that would be great.
I'd like to get a list together so we can start the process of seeing what it's going to take to build campers for those that still want it.

I would also like to note this is not an act of charity to Vagabond or Phil. It's been nearly a year since I've seen/talked to him and I'm frankly kinda pissed he didn't reach out for help.
I'm here to help you the community without negatively affecting our current business and of course add revenue in the process. This is not a free offer at all but we think we can build these for those affected (deposit holders) without taking a loss in the process. Helping people always makes up for lost profits in my eyes but I can't take losses on these. If you have fully paid for your order we might have to get creative in the community to get you a camper without added costs.

If anyone wants to reach me directly via email. Jerry@bayareametalfab.com

.45 JHP

Observer

As you all may know Vagabond outdoors is no more. Phil is MIA no one has any contact with him he pretty much ghosted everyone he knows.

Some of you my know we at BAMF were laser processing and forming the aluminum for the drifters back when they first started. They moved to another supplier when aluminum prices raised in 2019ish.

I seen all of this going down on forums and FB groups so I tried contacting to no avail. Drove by the shop almost daily for a while to closed doors every time. I got in touch with the building owner who confirmed they are no longer in his unit. I've been told there is about 60 to 70 un fulfilled orders with deposits placed (not sure if that's accurate) but that's what I'm told. After some more digging I figured with us having the CAD files/tooling to make these in house and the local company making the tents, Has dozens pre cut but holding on finishing due to non payment, we could help ease some of the pain that this caused.
I reached out to the patent holder of the drifters (not vagabond by the way) to see if they had an issue with BAMF building at least the units for the customers that have been effected by this and they agreed.

This seems to be the most active thread so I'm assuming most that have been effected are here. I'll be posting a video on youtube as well.

So if you have a pending order with vagabond or even better if someone has a list already of those affected that would be great.
I'd like to get a list together so we can start the process of seeing what it's going to take to build campers for those that still want it.

I would also like to note this is not an act of charity to Vagabond or Phil. It's been nearly a year since I've seen/talked to him and I'm frankly kinda pissed he didn't reach out for help.
I'm here to help you the community without negatively affecting our current business and of course add revenue in the process. This is not a free offer at all but we think we can build these for those affected (deposit holders) without taking a loss in the process. Helping people always makes up for lost profits in my eyes but I can't take losses on these. If you have fully paid for your order we might have to get creative in the community to get you a camper without added costs.

Jerry-

Thanks for stepping up and helping the community yet again after the Pelfrey fiasco. That’s awesome of you bro.

Thank you Jerry…huge thank you.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Haven't been following much on this topic as I wasn't in the market for a new camper but this news really sucks. VO started from similar camper evolution/roots. IMHO they had the best product on the market. It would be so cool if BAMF was able to take over the product but they have a lot of products they work on as is.

Donnyhugh

Just wondering what it would take or if it would even be considered a reasonable path to take in starting a GoFundMe to raise funds for Bay Area Metal Fab. This is purely to help offset any financial burden Jerry would be taking upon himself. Gaining support from a community outside of BAMF and the Vagabond customers that are already at a loss could potentially shed some light on this whole fiasco, and help so many of us getting what we paid for without putting in too much extra money to make this all a reality. I have no experience in crowd funding, and am just learning about the offer that Jerry has put on the table. My intentions are obviously not profit driven, and all proceeds from said fund would go directly to Bay Area Metal Fab in order to help cover the materials needed to start working on these campers.

Any thought of ideas on this topic would be appreciated. I just reached out to Jerry to let him know my position with vagabond, and where I stand in the production process. I am new to expedition portal, and to this forum, so excuse me if this topic has already been addressed. Lets see what we can all do as a community to put campers on our trucks that we paid for, and help Jerry in the process in any way possible with all the efforts he is putting towards this amazing cause. Thank you to all who have put endless hours of your time into trying to make sense of this mess, and thank you Jerry for the selfless actions you're taking on!
- Casey

chmura

Adventurer
Just wondering what it would take or if it would even be considered a reasonable path to take in starting a GoFundMe to raise funds for Bay Area Metal Fab. This is purely to help offset any financial burden Jerry would be taking upon himself. Gaining support from a community outside of BAMF and the Vagabond customers that are already at a loss could potentially shed some light on this whole fiasco, and help so many of us getting what we paid for without putting in too much extra money to make this all a reality. I have no experience in crowd funding, and am just learning about the offer that Jerry has put on the table. My intentions are obviously not profit driven, and all proceeds from said fund would go directly to Bay Area Metal Fab in order to help cover the materials needed to start working on these campers.

Any thought of ideas on this topic would be appreciated. I just reached out to Jerry to let him know my position with vagabond, and where I stand in the production process. I am new to expedition portal, and to this forum, so excuse me if this topic has already been addressed. Lets see what we can all do as a community to put campers on our trucks that we paid for, and help Jerry in the process in any way possible with all the efforts he is putting towards this amazing cause. Thank you to all who have put endless hours of your time into trying to make sense of this mess, and thank you Jerry for the selfless actions you're taking on!
- Casey

I never like giving money to GoFund Me. Certain percentage of the money goes to the Corporation which I do not like. Usually if I want to give a donation I try to give directly to the person in need.

BAMF is selling VB shirts online with a portion of profit will go to the 'VB Fund'. I purchased a shirt but haven't received it yet.

What's the current status on the builds? Has any of them even started?

Last edited:

belloinsella

Strawfoot Handmade here. I hate to chime in because I've been in the dark about the drama with Vagabond. Quick recap: we are a small sewing outfit in Santa Cruz, Ca (1.5 hours south of Benicia). We make window covers and bug screens for various vans and campers. We began offering products for the Vagabond Drifter when we took delivery of our Drifter in March 2020. We only had positive experiences with Phil, Jay and a couple other shop people. So sad to read online how things fell apart. I could see that they were in over their heads, but I never imagined it would go this far.

In hopes to assist Drifter/Nomad owners, we will continue to make accessories for those who actually received campers. We have templates for the rear hatch and front window for the Drifter and Nomad, as well as a couple side windows that (I think) they stopped using. Please reach out if you need something made from us, as we were firm believers in their product, but are very disappointed to hear how the business has been handled. We have heard that the business is no longer and Phil cannot be reached.

We recently were contacted by a Nomad owner who helped create a pattern for the rear hatch and a Drifter owner who wanted side bug screens for a short-bed Tacoma. We can still assist in some of this and would like to support the small Vagabond community. Email us if you have questions about our products, please note that we have not been in contact with anyone from Vagabond for over two years. Info@strawfoothandmade.com

UncleAir

I never like giving money to GoFund Me. Certain percentage of the money goes to the Corporation which I do not like. Usually if I want to give a donation I try to give directly to the person in need.

BAMF is selling VB shirts online with a portion of profit will go to the 'VB Fund'. I purchased a shirt but haven't received it yet.

What's the current status on the builds? Has any of them even started?
Yeah, I get the gofundme issue. I think donnyhugh has his heart in the right place though. I waited 13 months beginning in 2019 and had similar anxieties as others, but nowhere near the extent some are having now. Cannot imagine the frustration.

czukie

I know nothing about gofundme and where the funds go, but I have seen gofundme’s raise stupid amounts of money….certainly more than a few people buying a clever shirt…besides you play the sympathy card, and then you start to get money from outside sources who have no idea what vagabond is/was but see BAMF doing good for the community. BAMF then gains a fan and potential customer. The whole t-shirt gig is a great idea, it just seems dated and not the most efficient way to get funds to the good guys at BAMF helping out the vagaboned

Would kickstarter be a better format to raise money?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online