Vario towbar kit for sale

docka

Adventurer
Yes, that's correct. Even with grandfather rights (C1) the max allowed is 8.25t... Costs about £1k depending on ability/competence/experience etc to upgrade your licence to C1+E then you will be able to tow up to 12t i believe...

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Guys,
I'm not going to go for the hitch - But thanks for the consideration.

Re the towing max weights. I have the "Grandfather rights" C1 license plus the C1+E which allows up to 12t. A C+E is not limited to 12t. I'm in Ireland - But I was pretty sure the UK was the same. See https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories.

I

docka

Adventurer
Thanks for clarifying that Ian, yes it is the same here, i was getting muddled. I've edited my posts with correct info.
Did you decide not to go for the hitch because of it affecting your departure angle ie it's too low?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Thanks for clarifying that Ian, yes it is the same here, i was getting muddled. I've edited my posts with correct info.
Did you decide not to go for the hitch because of it affecting your departure angle ie it's too low?

Yep. I'm going to build a removable or folding one at some point

Anton2k3

Adventurer
So out of interest, what am I allowed to tow with the category 'C' licence (up to 18t)?

Edit - sorry just checked that link, thanks Ian....limited to 750kg too.

So effectively we have to do the C+E licence to be able to tow a car etc with our varios....that licence is valid for HGV 40t articulated lorries! There should be some middle ground.

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
If you're driving on a C1 (and never dida test for it!) then you would be automatically entitled to C1+E and can tow a car. If you're on a C (and actually did a test) then you're limited to 750Kg. Logical!

docka

Adventurer
If you're driving on a C1 (and never dida test for it!) then you would be automatically entitled to C1+E and can tow a car. If you're on a C (and actually did a test) then you're limited to 750Kg. Logical!

I have C1E plus code 107 restriction by default and i think the code 107 means you can tow a car but are limited to max train weight of 8.25t... but it gets complicated as the max weight of the trailer capacity cant be above 8.25t combined.... Anyone?

docka

Adventurer
That's a kind offer, can i let you know when i've had a chance this friday to get to the vehicle and do some measuring?

Arfur's World

Observer
Yep no worries, I'd rather it goes to a good home, luckily I don't have to panic for the cash. Otherwise it'll go back on eBay. If you need me to measure anything, I'll be at the workshop on Sunday this weekend, so I can get the tape out.

Martin

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Damn, looks like taking the articulated lorry test for me then....i'll add that to my 'things to do' list.

docka

Adventurer
Damn, looks like taking the articulated lorry test for me then....i'll add that to my 'things to do' list.

There should be some middle ground, I agree. I think those that kept their paper licence and didn't go to Photocard might not have the 107 restriction, it seems a massive grey area, good old DVLA/VOSA.
Anyway, it's good to find a bunch of guys all in the same boat (vehicle) all going through the same issues! Let's keep this gang going, we could even start a dedicated MB T2 forum?...

Arfur's World

Observer
Anyway, it's good to find a bunch of guys all in the same boat (vehicle) all going through the same issues! Let's keep this gang going, we could even start a dedicated MB T2 forum?...
I bought the domain ArfursWorld.com, so if anyone knows about BB software, we could maybe use that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78