Velociraptor Build - 2011 FJ Cruiser TT

Adventurous

Explorer
Cool! You've made a ton of progress (or just caught up on posting mods) since the last time I visited this thread.

Now where are the pics from the FJ summit? :sombrero:

Velociraptor

My last daily driver had an incredible sound system in it but I sold the vehicle before moving out west. I really loved the ride and the sound but the vehicle was built for the autobahn and not for offroad exploration.

I recently added an OEM Audio Plus system to my rig and my expectations were greatly exceeded by the quality of the sound. After listening to various genres in my music collection, I was very impressed with the sound stage and the crisp reproduction of highs, mid-range and bass. The system integrates with the factory Toyota head unit (made by Fujitsu) and replaces the amp, speakers, and subwoofer with their own custom system that includes a Sub amplifier, a DSP Amplifier that is engineered and tuned specifically for the FJ Cruiser's interior acoustics, and high quality carbon fiber speakers. :rockon:

Once the average outdoor temp in my garage drops to a tolerable level, I plan on installing sound insulation to reduce overall road noise. :sunny:

Installation underway
mDndeOU.jpg

New Subwoofer
uETLL6nl.jpg

Listening to the system immediately after installation
p5G1AWH.jpg

Last edited:

Doc_

Sammich!
Neat build!
I see what your daughter was saying, this thing looks like one of the field vehicles from The Lost World.

Velociraptor

OK do you notice anything different? GOALS in progress. :lurk:

LaoUscSl.jpg

NOTE: Yes I know I need to clean my FJ... just got back from a weekend trip. :D

Upgrade Complete
V4DI08Y.jpg

A pair Squadron XL80's with combo lenses on the outer positions
OyKo9SI.jpg

A pair of Squadron XL Racers with clear spot lens on the center positions
nlNMrkG.jpg

Time for a night run! :)
CfTWp1Y.jpg

Details:
Since the form factor and housing are the same, the Squadron XL series can be upgraded to newer electronics. :)

I got a chance to try the new XL80's in Ouray, CO earlier this summer (when they were still prototypes) for a night run up to Imogene Pass. They are 2x more powerful than the standard XL Pro's and they are incredibly bright. Increased visibility is the main benefit. :Wow1:

The new XL Racers use a more efficient reflector housing and a newer LED to create a very long throw distance for spots. They were designed for offroad racing and you can't really out run these lights in your FJ. There is a safety benefit for non-racers which is the ability to see potential obstacles or wildlife in your path at greater distances giving you more reaction time. :smiley_drive:

Velociraptor

New project in the works. Thanks to Pfunk for his modified version of Dennx rear cargo design!

Preserve AC inverter access
PsBvWUem.jpg

Add 12V DC outlet
kuNwknIm.jpg
S9zipNUm.jpg

Need a place to put recovery gear
hRPPFgum.jpg

Need a place for a fridge
z2KaQuwm.jpg

More on this later...

Velociraptor

I got my HAM license back in January and shortly afterwards I installed a Kenwood TM-D710GA 144/440MHz FM dual band transceiver
LOGMB2zl.jpg

Installation
I mounted the main unit inside my Springtail Solutions basket in the rear of the vehicle so that it would be protected and high enough in the vehicle that it would not likely get wet (some folks mount their radio under their front seat which is easy to forget about while fording a unexpectedly deep creek). I used the Kenwood PG-5F extension kit to extend the wiring from the main unit in the rear cargo area to the c*ckpit area. I had to partially drop the very front of the headliner to get the remote extension cable installed and I ran it through the plastic sleeve on the mirror base housing. I mounted the remote head unit above the mirror and used a RAM mount (RAM-B-149ZU-A) to get it at the level and angle I wanted. I modified one of the metal factory mounts that came with the radio and attached it to a homemade adapter plate that was also attached to the RAM mount.
rMmUqdsl.jpg

NTLw9sOl.jpg

Antenna
I had already installed my HAM antenna the year before when I installed my aux lights and roof rack since I wanted to avoid completely dropping the headliner again and fooling with my watertight roof bulkhead seal. I selected a Diamond NR-770HB dual band antenna mounted on a Diamond K9000LRM motorized mount. The K9000LRM comes with its own power switch to raise or lower the antenna which I replaced with a custom switch I ordered from OTRATTW. I had decided at that time I would be mounting the base unit of the radio in the rear cargo area basket so I went ahead and ran the antenna cable to that location.
scj4yFgl.jpg

y2O3XAIl.jpg

Power Distribution
I also used a Powerwerx RIGrunner 4004 USB to handle power distribution inside the vehicle. I used the first outlet for my mobile HAM radio, the second outlet for my rear cargo Blue Sea 12V cigarette outlet (which supports my Indel B Travel Box TB51a fridge), the third outlet unused, and the fourth outlet for my mobile/portable CB radio (I replaced the CB radio's 12V cigarette plug with Anderson Powerpole connectors).
PER25zkl.jpg

HAM Badge
To celebrate the improvement in mobile communications abilities I treated myself to one of FJoel 's cool badges that goes perfectly with my FJ Summit badge.
FDiyXOFl.jpg

Thanks Joel!

Velociraptor

So I finally finished my rear cargo setup with help from my stepdad. It is modeled after Pfunk 's setup which I saw when he came to pickup some FJ stuff I sold him.

I keep my recovery gear in the drawer, space on the bottom for a folding camp table, hiking poles and table legs, and an Indel B Travel Box TB51a mounted on a Tembo Tusk fridge slide. The drawer has room for a couple of cutting boards above its main contents. I installed a diamond plate rubber flooring on top of the drawer with aluminum tie down rails and adjustable tie down studs. The upper container is a Front Runner Wolf Pack for dry foods and gear secured to the drawer cabinet with Front Runner Stratchits. The Wolf Pack is also useful for holding grocery bags since this rig is my daily driver.

I am slowly prepping for overland camping but I have a long way to go before I get there. I don't want to hassle with a RTT on my FJ but it is a more viable solution on a camping trailer.

G3KVTlxl.jpg

0JKckOpl.jpg

EBKAw4il.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998