Very slow and mild 04 Tundra DC build!!

Verde Rat

Weekend Warrior
"The next plans are to either build a sleeping platform or rock sliders. After remembering my last offroad trip Im guessing it will be rock sliders.[/QUOTE]

Defiantly go for the rock sliders 1st. Nice job on the rack! How did you mount the rack to the Yakama Tracks?

jonesw3

Adventurer
I made some T shaped brackets and screwed it down to the little sliding pieces that the Yakima towers screw to. It turned out stronger than I thought it would. I was able to stand on it without any bowing or flexing.

jonesw3

Adventurer
So after remodeling our master bedroom and a quick hunting trip I was able to start doing some more work on my truck. Which needs a name by the way, Im open to suggestions. I decided to go ahead and try to build some rock sliders. Keep in my I dont do any real hard core wheeling. I lucked up and got all the steel from a friend of mine for FREE! It is a little small diameter than I wanted but due to the fact that I am still unemployeed and it was free, I can make it work for now. And as I mentioned earlier this is only the second project I have built myself so dont be to critical, especially on my welds. Im still learning and using a very cheap welder.

Here is the progress so far. I hope to be finished by this weekend!

IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg

jonesw3

Adventurer
Thanks jeepxj13. There are a couple of more guys on here from our area. We should do a meet and greet sometime soon!

jonesw3

Adventurer
OK. Time for a quick update. I havent finished the rock sliders yet but I did add a few cheap mods over the past couple of days.

Prob the best one so far!
IMG_1301.jpg

My $26 awning. I will see how good it holds up next weekend.
IMG_1302.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg

jonesw3

Adventurer
I used an old tarp I had an folded over the edges to make a sleeve for the 3/4 pvc pipe to slide into. I used double sided outdoor carpet tape to hold the seams together. Then I used 3/4 90 elbows to connect it all. The upright poles are Coleman tent pole I pickep up at walmart. Im not real sure how the tape will hold up under decent wind. Its just temporary until I can get some sunbrella material and actually sew the seams up. Let me know it you want any other info?

jonesw3

Adventurer
Unfortunatley no more updates as of now. Work and a divorce has taken up most of my time lately. I am going to finish up my sliders by next weekend or at least thats the plain. Once I do I will post more pictures.

jonesw3

Adventurer
It's been a while since I have posted anything. I made a few purchases of the past couple of weeks and figured what better reason to burn a sick than to do some wrenching?
4a962672219f22356c99b03969f6ab17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Nice on the suspension....Hard to tell from the pic, but are those new coil isolators, on the top right?

I used an old tarp I had an folded over the edges to make a sleeve for the 3/4 pvc pipe to slide into. I used double sided outdoor carpet tape to hold the seams together. Then I used 3/4 90 elbows to connect it all. The upright poles are Coleman tent pole I pickep up at walmart. Im not real sure how the tape will hold up under decent wind. Its just temporary until I can get some sunbrella material and actually sew the seams up. Let me know it you want any other info?

How'd you attach to the rack?...Are the poles telescoping, or solid?...
Also, (rhetorically), just wondering how much water that would hold, before coming apart or breaking?....Hmmmmm...Got me thinking....I would try this, except i still havent been able to figure out exactly what bars/feet I need for my Yakima rails... :(

Last edited:

jonesw3

Adventurer
Yes, those are new isolators. The awning attached to the rack with 2 bolts. The poles are telescoping. Unfortunately, the tarp and double sided tape that held the seams together didn't last long. Eventually I will make one out one canvas or parachute material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
i still havent been able to figure out exactly what bars/feet I need for my Yakima rails... :(

Assuming you have the yakima tracks on top of your cap....Control towers and Landing pad 1's. I had direct bolted landing pads on my Tundra. I bought the 66" cross bars, but the 78" bars cost the same, and you can always trim em if you decide you want them shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12