Viking Off-Road Recovery Hitch photos

c.nordstrom

World Traveller Extraordinaire
We have received photos of Viking Off-Road's new recovery hitch. This product originally appeared in the Summer 2009 issue of Overland Journal in the "News from the Trade" column. The article featured CAD drawings but we now have photos of the actual product.

viking recovery hitch 1.jpg

viking recovery hitch 2.jpg

"Thor Jonsson at Viking Off-Road set out to design and produce the ultimate receiver-mounted shackle bracket. Designed with SolidWorks CAD software and CNC-machined from a billet of 1018 steel, the hitch is nickel-plated for a durable and clean finish. Viking Off-Road stress-tested the unit to failure and found it withstood shock loading to 52,200 pounds for more than 1,000 load cycles. The hitch is designed for use with Viking's 4.75-metric-ton shackles, giving a working load limit of 10,471 pounds and a 4X safety factor, for a minimum breaking strength of 41,884 pounds. vikingoffroad.com, 818-506-9789"

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I love Viking Off Road. My winch, my winch line, and most of the rest of my recovery kit came from them.
That Receiver Shackle is definitley a thing of beauty!

-BUT-
$110.00?!?!?!

Warn Receiver Shackle - $42.95
Superwinch Receiver Shackle - $47.99

Last edited:
S

Street Wolf

Holy crap thats nice

But...

Holy crap look at that price

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
ExPo Bling :Wow1:

WATCH OUT! you're now going to be inundated with posts saying that you

"you really need to see it in person", and

"some people simply choose to spend money on original american made products"

, and that, "quality has to be paid for.."

haha...I made that mistake once. :D

AFSOC

Explorer
WATCH OUT! you're now going to be inundated with posts saying that you

"you really need to see it in person", and

"some people simply choose to spend money on original american made products"

, and that, "quality has to be paid for.."

haha...I made that mistake once. :D

********! :wings:

You're right, there's always some of that depending on the vendor's alliances. Usually those posts are made by people who aren't paying said prices for those pieces.

superpowerdave

Adventurer
It's really pretty ... does that make it worth the extra coin? Not for my needs, but maybe for others.

I've never done business with Viking but have heard nothing but the best about them. Maybe while we are all jumping the shark on the price and the bling, they saw a need and filled the niche for their customers.

If that was the case then great; we need more small, personable companies filling the voids in our market and that is better for everyone.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
It's really pretty ... does that make it worth the extra coin? Not for my needs, but maybe for others.

I've never done business with Viking but have heard nothing but the best about them. Maybe while we are all jumping the shark on the price and the bling, they saw a need and filled the niche for their customers.

If that was the case then great; we need more small, personable companies filling the voids in our market and that is better for everyone.

x2 on what I've heard of viking.

It's like Kia bringing out the Borrego SUV in the middle of the soaring
gas prices, though..haha! When everyone else is bringing out gas-sipping
compacts, here comes kia with a quality, well built SUV that no-one
has the budget or credit to buy. LOL.

(Not sayin' this shackle mount isn't sexy as heck :D)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Very nice looking part, but 1018 is about as generic a steel as you can get. So "ultimate" seems like a bit of a stretch to me. If it were made from something interesting like 17-4 H900 or 1144 or 7068........

Scott Brady

Founder
There are very clear differences between the Viking shackle bracket and a typical unit.

1. No rattles in the receiver.
2. No rattles at the shackle attachment.
3. Option to mount vertical or horizontal depending on the load force.
4. Rust-free, quality finish.
5. CNC machined, not cast. No sharp edges.

It is only $50 more than a typical shackle bracket, and IMO, more than twice as good.

Remember, the value of something is never determined by the people who do not buy it, but by the people who do. There are 99.99999% of Americans who will not, or could not buy a Bugatti Veyron for 1.4 million dollars. They have no influence on the value of the car. The manufacture sets the price, and those rare 300 individuals confirm the value. All 300 were sold. . .
bugatti-veyron.gif

The car gets 2.05 MPG at full throttle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior