VOLVO TGB Expedition Camper

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
I know we have a few members here who actually own Volvo 6X6 C304 and 4X4 C303 Ex Military vehicles. I would like to start a thread here on how they are planning on modifying there vehicles into Expedition campers. I would also like to hear from anyone who can help out with ideas and such. My plan is to within the next year purchase and start to build up one of these great vehicles. My shop is almost completed (after winter) and she will need her first land based vehile build up to break her in! Thanks for any input.

This might help? I'm making mine for serious Jungle touring and possibly longer trips later.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73982-Volvo-C304-(4x4)-Restore-and-fitout

Raredog

Observer
The camper part is almost finished:
1340000081_resized.jpg

(the strange looking drawer under the bed is a Waeco compressor fridge:))

Hafwit

Adventurer
That is very nice. Did you remove the pegboard or cover it up? Are you concerned about water intrusion and rust if it can't breathe? I was told it would be a mistake to remove the pegboard for this reason.

Thanks,
Greg

Raredog

Observer
Thank you :)

In some places its just the pegboard covered with leather, others panels have been replaced with 5mm plywood.

Its a alu-zink body so it will not rust very easy and i can't see how it should be a problem if it sealed from leaks, all other cars is made this way?

But i might remove it from time to time to check up on it :)

Do you have some pictures of your 111?

Hafwit

Adventurer
Right now my truck is being worked on with a trailer light converter and a few other things being installed. When I get it back, I'll be happy to post some pictures. The inside is stock for the moment other than for new front seats. That will be an upcoming project.

Cheers,
Greg

Outback

Explorer
3: Powerassisted steering. The frame and steering box af the C30X series are somewhat unique. So our solution is to take an electrically powered steering column from a Opel or Vauxhall Corsa. This has some benefits. One of course is that we don't have to modify the frame. Another is that we don't need hydraulics. The last is that in case it fails the truck will drive like standard.
I am working on installing this at the moment.

Christain,
Which unit (electric steer assist column) did you use and do have any detailed pictures you could post here? I tried your link to the Swedish site and its not working. Thanks for any help.

Christian

Adventurer
Christain,
Which unit (electric steer assist column) did you use and do have any detailed pictures you could post here? I tried your link to the Swedish site and its not working. Thanks for any help.
Hi Outback,

I have the pictures on an old computer which I have to scavenge the HD from to get to them, sorry.
I made the first using an Opel Corsa (LHD) servo, the next one I used a Vauxhall Corsa (RHD) servo, the difference is which way the electric motor is mounted, and the RHD one goes to the right, making it a bit cleaner install and leaving more room to get in and out.

I am however moving away from this solution, not that it doesn't work, which it does flawlessly, but the number of turns from lock to lock irritataes me, so I will be installing a Merc G powersteering instead...

Do you have a Volvo TGB?

Gripen

Hello friends, this is how my expedition camper looks. Right now I'm changing the engine to a Mercedes diesel OM605.960
/Gripen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Hi Outback,

I have the pictures on an old computer which I have to scavenge the HD from to get to them, sorry.
I made the first using an Opel Corsa (LHD) servo, the next one I used a Vauxhall Corsa (RHD) servo, the difference is which way the electric motor is mounted, and the RHD one goes to the right, making it a bit cleaner install and leaving more room to get in and out.

I am however moving away from this solution, not that it doesn't work, which it does flawlessly, but the number of turns from lock to lock irritataes me, so I will be installing a Merc G powersteering instead...

Do you have a Volvo TGB?

I never found one in the condition I wanted. One in Nevada had bent axles! Still want one.

Outback

Explorer
Possible Engine swaps I have considered for a TGB 1314 or any other Volvo C series.
Isuzu 4BD1T. These are bullet proof engines that can be tuned up easily. This company makes an adaptor plate for all kinds of transmissions.

http://dieseladapters.com/TRANSMISSION_ADAPTERS.html

My idea Engine and trans combo would be a 4BD1T with an adaptor for a GM 700R4 auto trans. I would purchase a P.A.T.C Raptor 700R4. More than plenty strong to haul a fully load TGB1314 around.

https://transmissioncenter.net/home/

For the T-case I would go with The bullet proof NP205 Transfer case with a Magnum Doubler Box. http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Magnum Box.htm

I would ditch the stock running gear altogether. The axles I would keep stock pretty much but go with the higher ratio (Numerically lower) gear ratios of the C303. Combined with 35x12.50Rx16 tires or taller and the .70 Over Drive of the 700R4 Raptor would see a lower RPMs at highwayish speeds. I might Truss the axles if there is room for it.

I hope to one day find a nice TGB 1314 Ambulance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior