VOLVO TGB Expedition Camper

Christian

Adventurer
Congrats!

Then it might be a good time to post a little update.

The 1KZ-T is in and running fine! I have just today plugged a new dash in with VDO tach, speedo, oli pressure, oil temp, water temp, volt, turbo boost and pyro. A few sensors are missing, but the rest work well with the brand new wiring.

In the shop I have 7 Michelin XZL 11.00/R16 waiting, Servo vers. 2.0 is in, hydraulic clutch, plumbing for the water-to-air intercooler done, new Flex-aLite fan, etc etc etc.
All in all a lot of hours of progress, but a looong way to go still!

Christian

Adventurer
Any pics of your new dashboard Christian?

Yessir!
motorbytte 230.jpg
motorbytte 232.jpg

Although they so not show the current state, I have the key and starter button mounted too and the whole lot mounted in the car. Oil pressure, water temp, tach and turbo boost works. I still have some sensors to mount though... But all in all a great experience to insert the key, let the new glow plug controller do its job and press Start, and it just fires up and runs smooooth as silk in -5 degrees celsius (just over 20 fahrenheit).

PS: I know, no diesel runs smooth a silk, but perhaps smooth as burlap

M.Bas

Adventurer
Looks great Christian.

I'm currently waiting for my 12V supply stuff to get ordered (the shop has to wait till next year because the dutch distributor is closed for 2 weeks..).
So next monday I will get to know what it's going to cost me and when it will be delivered.

I'm going to use this stuff:
Blue Sea Circuit Breaker between 24V batteries and step down converter
7102_182x182.jpg

Some specs:
* Ignition protected - Safe for installation aboard gasoline powered boats
* Meets SAE J1171 external ignition protection requirements
* Weather Resistant
* "Trip Free" - cannot be held closed after trip
I know, not not most ideal situation but one of these things is better than an inline fuse because of the things going to be attached to the 12V.

Victron Energy Orion DC/DC converter
154_1.jpg

I'm going for the 24VDC -> 12VDC 30A version.
A neat little spec is that this unit can be used as a battery charger.

And the 12V distribution is going to be taken care of by a Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block
126.png

12 blade fuses with negative busbar.

Is choose this type of fuse block because these blade type fuses are very common and easy to get.

The 12V system is going to power:
-123Ignition (electronic ignition), this is the main reason to use a circuitbreaker instead of a fuse as the protection against short circuit in the main feeder cable. You don't want something to trip your main fuse and then realise you lost your spare fuse or you already blew it. And then not be able to start the engine.
-CB radio.
-Several 12V outputs (sigarette lighter sockets) for things like GPS (when using a 12V sigarette lighter socket), phone charger, other stuff that happens to use the sigarette lighter socket for power.
-Radio, but than it might be wise to install a 12V battery.
-Rear view camera.
-GPS if not powered via sigarette lighter socket.

And offcourse everything can be shut off using switches/relays.

Last edited:

M.Bas

Adventurer
Thanks M.Bas, good to see that you are making progress too! wiring and electronics eat a lot of time right?
Yeah, gotta do some wire calculations too. A 40A circuit breaker is nice but the wiring needs to be able to handle it too.
And then have to figure out how to mount everything on the back wall.

Last edited:

Christian

Adventurer
I'll take a pic of our new "glovebox" and the back side of the dash next time I'm at the shop, just to make you feel a little better! ;-)

M.Bas

Adventurer
So next monday I will get to know what it's going to cost me and when it will be delivered.
Their supplier had the circuit breaker in stock, but the fuse block was going to take about 6 weeks :Wow1:

If I still wanted to order it... hmm, lets not do that...
The easiest and quickest solution is to just buy a 6way fuse block without negative bar and use a separate negative busbar, since the shop has those in stock.

Gotta find another source for the fuse block...

M.Bas

Adventurer
Just ordered the things at Sierra Expeditions.
Hope I wasn't to much of a PITA by ordering a version not in your regular assortment.

M.Bas

Adventurer
Today was goodie time :wings:
After a long wait, customs isn't the quickest orginisation, everything has arrived.

A pic:
20100209-IMGP2652.jpg

What's in the pic:
Front left: Victron Energy 24/12VDC converter (12VDC 30A)
Rear left: Blue Sea Systems 40Amp circuit breaker
Front right: Battery clamps
Rear right: Blue Sea Systems 12 way fuse box with negative busbar

Bought the Victron in NL and the rest at Sierra Expeditions.
Thanks Wil.

Next up:
Get some insulation for the cab, cover it with wood, install electrics.

More pics:
20100209-IMGP2655.jpg

I think they go great with the Volvo, a big heavy truck needs heavy duty battery clamps. And heavy they are :D

20100209-IMGP2656.jpg

20100209-IMGP2657.jpg

Victron converter, puts out 30A at 12VDC

20100209-IMGP2658.jpg

20100209-IMGP2659.jpg

40A circuit breaker for the cable going into the cab.
Waterproof and ignition protected, so can be used inside an engine compartment.

20100209-IMGP2660.jpg

20100209-IMGP2661.jpg

Fuse box.

gregg@mail.dk

poly bushings

To continue on with the build.

From what I am told spare parts for Volvoes are made for 25 years after end of production of the vehicle. I am sure all the bushings are readily available. All the bushing will be replaced as well. I like real rubber bushings over polyurethane bushings or even the graphite impregnated poly bushings. The stock rubber ones allow more flex but do wear out faster. Giva and take.

AVOID poly bushings at all costs if you plan to travel in Africa or anywhere where there arre corrogations. Corragations will destroy poly bushes faster than you can say "weapons of mass destruction"

tamarugo

hugo escobar
volvo c303 6x6

Hello Cristian

My name is Hugo from Chile/ South America and with my wife are thinking in buy a truck like your truck, with the same aluminum military box installed. I want to know if the swap for toyota motor works well or you will need another more bigger motor to move well the truck. That is my main worry to start whit this new project.
Depend of this, we will take a fly to Denmark to buy the truck, put in a container and send to Chile

Thanks a lot
Hugo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman