Water Storage solution

xpdishn

Adventurer
Water storage containers for long, remote trips sometimes can end up taking up a lot of valuable space. We have found the hassle very annoying and just not user friendly. Even when the containers are empty they still have to be brought along and stored.

I envisioned a permanent/removeable water tank that would fill the space directly behing the driver/passenger seat in a space that was created for storage. In this pic it's the deepest area that extends over the hump:

034.jpg

Well, I just submitted this instead of previewing it. What a smuck.

Anyway on with the story,

xpdishn

Adventurer
continued...

As everyone, I searched for the "right" solution -- bladders, Front Runner, etc., etc. etc. I found nothing that would meet my criteria for the space above. Everything also seemed to be extremely pricey for what they had - not complaining - just pricey for me.

So I started making a list of what I needed in supplies and what we wanted for an end product. That would be a running water system, very easy to use and a built in shower add-on. The on-board hot water system would be in the future as we live in the desert and don't usually need hot water for a shower. So I say to myself "how hard can it be to build a custom one-off tank specifically for the FJ". As you all surmise, it is kind of hard. The time was hugh, the materials not bad at all, the hot air welder somewhat expensive.

So the list:
1 tank,
the material for the tank,
a water pick-up system that could empty the tank even over the hump,
somehow get the water out of the tank to a 12v pump,
find somewhere close to mount the pump,
find a faucet that would worked how I envisioned,
somehow hook up a shower connection point.

The material - HDPE 1/4" plastic was chosen. Went to http://www.usplastic.com/ and ordered what I thought I would need.
Of course the only way to put plastic together is by welding. Hot Air Welding - didn't even know it existed until someone at work used the term. I did a bunch of research and found one company that sold the welder. So I had a welder - a Leister. Got it.

On with the build.

The first attempt at welding was somewhat a success, but no tank built yet. It ended up something like this:

051.jpg

So I started over and figured that making a wooden templete would be the best way to achieve a better product.

053.jpg

A view of the on going tank build on the templete:

054.jpg

During the construction, many fit-up were done to check configuration:

056.jpg

As you can see there were no square corners to make things easy.

Even after finishing the 1st tank:

0013.jpg

I had to start all over. This one leaked and the baffles were too high. When something is welded, its really hard to take apart. This one was used for spare pieces of plastic. What I didn't have were the lids that were going to be used. I couldn't find any that were right for the longest time. So I finally found, ordered and received 2 that were used. Here is a fittment to check for height of the existing storage unit:

0024.jpg

After this, I ended up increasing the height of the storage area box by 2". 2 more inches the dogs have to jump to get in, but gives me much more useable storage space.

Stay tuned for more.

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
Yeah, I bet you never heard of a *water bag*, huh??? How COULD you have missed that. LOL.
Well I certainly am enjoying the build thread; and I do hope you can find a way to ignore ignorance and continue on with the writeup.
Anyways, if you decide to not continue, thanks very much for what you have already posted....

fasteddy47

Adventurer
yeah, i bet you never heard of a *water bag*, huh??? How could you have missed that. Lol.
Well i certainly am enjoying the build thread; and i do hope you can find a way to ignore ignorance and continue on with the writeup.
Anyways, if you decide to not continue, thanks very much for what you have already posted....

x2

chasespeed

Explorer
Please, continue. I am watching intently.... I may need to build something like this for my service van.... kind of need to have a significant volume of water on hand in spring and summer...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

xpdishn

Adventurer
the wife's opinion

I am Gary's wife, Paula, and just want to add my 2 cents worth. I really love this idea of Gary's. It makes it so much easier to get water for cooking or refilling our water bottles. I no longer have to lift heavy (for me) water jugs nor contend with spillage. Even though Gary always got the water in and out of the FJ, it was still one of those "things" that needed a different solution. And the quick disconnect that he added for taking showers is perfect. Literally everyone that has seen this setup is amazed. I tell people that it is our "FJ RV" because it is so convenient. As the chief cook and clean-up person it makes camping better. So many times over the past few years we have heard other men say that they would love to have their wife go with them. It is ideas like this that make it easier for the wife that would encourage more to go along. I hope that Gary finishes this build thread because I think it is his best idea yet. Way to go Gary! :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Paula,
Thank you for your post and for encouraging Gary to continue the write-up.
A lot of us are interested, Gary, please continue !

targa88

Explorer
I am Gary's wife, Paula, and just want to add my 2 cents worth. I really love this idea of Gary's. It makes it so much easier to get water for cooking or refilling our water bottles. I no longer have to lift heavy (for me) water jugs nor contend with spillage. Even though Gary always got the water in and out of the FJ, it was still one of those "things" that needed a different solution. And the quick disconnect that he added for taking showers is perfect. Literally everyone that has seen this setup is amazed. I tell people that it is our "FJ RV" because it is so convenient. As the chief cook and clean-up person it makes camping better. So many times over the past few years we have heard other men say that they would love to have their wife go with them. It is ideas like this that make it easier for the wife that would encourage more to go along. I hope that Gary finishes this build thread because I think it is his best idea yet. Way to go Gary! :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

Couldn't agree more

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
This is a cool project. I've never heard of anyone fabricating a water tank by welding plastic panels before. Heck, I've never heard of welding plastic at the DIY level. It makes me wonder what other useful things can be produced by using the same methods. Please continue on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan