Water storage

old .45

Observer
i use recyclable individual water bottles for 2 reasons, one... all my water is not in one container that could be lost if in a single container and was compromised. Two..... I could if I had to re- fill them. They are carried in a clear plastic(?) container that will fit 30 regular bottles. This has worked for me. 6 more are in the fridge cold and replaced as they are used.

Reactions: WVI

VanWaLife

I like this solution:
Maybe because I already have the jugs, but also because fill stations all across the country are best suited to these jugs, and the handle makes them easy to run a lock through. I got my jugs from a local water supplier, they can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of new when they get ratty.

billiebob

This was the campers standard 40 years ago. 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes. Stackable, filler up in transport, set on side to dispense. The spigot reverses to store inside the jug out of harms way. Molded flat to keep it stable on a table. $20 in Canada.

c1e55d15-d311-41b7-8b57-98697835d727_1.5a80c39fa8b4f2646ac2a7c7d1e710ac.jpeg 41rdrgAuM1L._SY300_.jpg

Replacement spigots sold separately.

Mine is 40 years old and still like new. Not sure if the manufacturing standard has changed but the old ones are bulletproof.

Last edited:

shade

This was the campers standard 40 years ago. 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes. Stackable, filler up in transport, set on side to dispense. The spigot reverses to store inside the jug out of harms way. Molded flat to keep it stable on a table. $20 in Canada.

View attachment 565645 View attachment 565646

Mine is 40 years old and still like new. Not sure if the manufacturing standard has changed but the old ones are bulletproof.
The same brand is now available in squarish form. Not bad at all.

1580949996606.png

shade

I like the practical square shape but the round one is amazingly more stable dispensing with the molded flat.
I've never used a round, but I don't doubt you.

My guess is they went square as much for their shipping economy as the end user's economy of space. I don't know enough about how they're molded, but I'd think it would be more difficult to maintain a uniform thickness with a square than cylinder.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The spigot reverses to store inside the jug out of harms way.

Reversing spigot sounds like a good idea until you've been in the desert dust for a few days. I've always invested in a second spigot/cap set and put in a plug fitting. Swap the caps for storage or dispensing.

shade

Reversing spigot sounds like a good idea until you've been in the desert dust for a few days. I've always invested in a second spigot/cap set and put in a plug fitting. Swap the caps for storage or dispensing.
That's what I've done with my MWC spout. I'm more concerned with contaminating the water with something from my hands than dust, though.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've found the more recent aquatainers to be REALLY thin on their bottoms. IF you shop them in a store, unscrew the cap and hold the container bottom up towards the ceiling lights and look in thru the neck. I tried putting a few coats of spray-on bedliner on the bottoms to beef them up but it didn't adhere well, the aquatainers are HDPE-2.

I can strongly endorse the newer 'civilian' 20L jugs, they're quite thick. About 2/3 as thick as a milspec version and they cost ~$20USD brand new.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I've found the more recent aquatainers to be REALLY thin on their bottoms.

Ray - we use these jugs with our Scout Troop, talk about rough handling! I keep them in square milk crates which greatly minimizes handling/transport damage, plus you can flip the crate to have a handy water jug stand.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Ray - we use these jugs with our Scout Troop, talk about rough handling! I keep them in square milk crates which greatly minimizes handling/transport damage, plus you can flip the crate to have a handy water jug stand.
I've used them as well and in fact passed my three on to a scout troop. Anyone considering them should be aware that sometimes they seem to have a press-in vent plug and sometimes a threaded cap. People should be sure to get the threaded cap as the other kind will pop free under the jostling of driving off-road, and you end up with your stuff wet and a third of your water gone.
The only other negative thing I can think of about them is that they hold 7gals and thus get pretty heavy when they are full. A completely full 20L is right at 6 US gal.

I've got some legit milspec MWCs from LCI, They were (3) for $50, shipped long ago, I think they are up to $25ea now and still a good deal. And I've been likewise getting rid of other water containers in favor of the newer Scepter 'civilian' 20L jugs. They're 2/3 the thickness of the milspec and have a wider bottom for stability and cost $20 most places.

I'm almost entirely switched over to the 'civilian' Scepter 20L now. Keeping the metal jerry can and milspec MWCs. This pic is about 15mos old, after I re-worked the outside storage cabinet. The second pic is about 3yrs ago

gascache181105.jpg
fullup fillup.jpg

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
I like this solution:
Maybe because I already have the jugs, but also because fill stations all across the country are best suited to these jugs, and the handle makes them easy to run a lock through. I got my jugs from a local water supplier, they can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of new when they get ratty.

Simple, reliable, cheap, convenient but just not expo enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online