Water Storage

hoaxci5

Observer
The 5 gallon plastic can wasn't cutting it anymore. Too large to get small amounts of water. After reading a few posts on here a couple weeks back I decided to figure out a way to use one my corny kegs (homebrewer) since I already had the tubing and a cobra (party) tap. So I finally made it to ACE hardware today and I have a working setup.

waterfittings.jpg

The grey fitting is the standard in connection for corny kegs, and the other end is a 1/4" barb screwed into what the packaging called a tank valve. It is basically a tire valve stem inside brass fittings.

So I can now take a keg and pressurize it with my on board air to dispense water easily.

Break down if purchasing all the equipment.
$40 referb corny keg
$8 co2 side fitting (grey item in picture above)
$23 cobra tab setup (black fitting like co2 with hose and tap)
$2 hose
$6 brass fittings from ACE

I have a use for all of this except the $6 fittings since I homebrew, but it might be worthwhile for others..

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
For those of us who are not brewers it would be very helpful if you could explain what "corny kegs" and "cobra taps" are, along with some photos. The whole thing sounds very interesting, but I really have no idea what you're talking about.

JP

Tbird

Observer
I was curious too...so I googled it.

They appear to be the same as a cola syrup cylinder used at
the soda fountain. I've changed out a many of those back in
my college days. Sound like a great solution to getting "running"
water. They are kind of heavy though.

->All about<-

corny9.jpg

hoaxci5

Observer
the keg pictured above is a corny keg, they are typically coke or pepsi refurbs. If you are just getting into it you have to be careful as there are ball lock and pin lock connections. What I show (grey connector) is a ball lock. That is the more standard homebrewing setup.

Generally the grey connector would run to a CO2 tank for pressurizing and carbonating. In place of the CO2 tank I'm running the brass fittings pictured above and will use my on board air to pressurize.

A cobra tap is
cobra_tap_01.jpg

So unlike the one Tbird posted I have extra tubing so I can move the tap to where ever I need without having to move the keg.

The empty keg weighs around 8lbs so it is defiantly on the heavy side when compared to a plastic jug.

PolarXJ

Observer
Sounds like you have a nice set up. Could you pressurize a plastic tank? I wouldn't think you'd need a lot of pressure to get water.

JamesDowning

Explorer
What's the pressure normally used in the corny... what do you use when camping? How long does it last before having to recharge again?

hoaxci5

Observer
Max working pressure of a corny is 130 psi, beer is usually only dispensed around 12psi and soda is higher but I'm not sure what pressure.

It will be getting it's first camping test this weekend. I just finished putting it together yesterday. I'm sure there is an ideal pressure to keep the tank at for a nice flow, but it will still come out at even 1 psi, and in a worst case scenario siphoning will still work, along with being able to open the fill plug and just pour.

Once my kids go down for a nap I'll play with a little more to try to figure out how long a charge lasts and what pressure doesn't shoot water all over the place.

I don't see why a plastic tank wouldn't work as long as it's built to withstand whatever pressure is needed, I just went with this because I already had multiple for my brewing :friday:

hoaxci5

Observer
Testing updates..

60psi is the max the cobra tap will accept, anything past that and it starts leaking.

2 x 60psi charges was enough to empty the 5 gallon tank.
Obviously as the air pressure dropped so did the water pressure, but it was usable all the way to empty, and 60 wasn't too much to be usable.

With my bs harbor freight all in one jumpbox compressor it took approx 3 min to get up to 60 psi, with my oba I expect it to be much less.

Since these tanks are steel depending on your vehicle it might be able to be mounted underneath, my Commander doesn't have room but just a benefit that I wouldn't trust a plastic container for..

I'd say it does exactly what I planned, I don't think it's perfect, but in my case it was next to nothing to get working, and serves a dual purpose.

5Runner

Adventurer
I have been planning an on board water system using the on board air to pressurize, but I haven't been able to get past one part:

I am worried about engine and oil tasting water from an air compressor under the hood, the oil in the compressor parts, and the water that builds up in the air tanks from condensation. Seems it may not be good to mix with your water... I haven't found a feasible and affordable air filter, nor have I found a light weight tank with a bladder or other way of keeping the water separate from the air.

Am I being over concerned about nothing?

Hard to say, and don't want to find out after it's all done.

hoaxci5

Observer
My air is in my passenger compartment not under the hood. I would say it's a valid concern for sure, but I won't be able to commend on it until I've used it for real. I'll plan to take extra water this weekend in case of nasty flavors though.

hoaxci5

Observer
Used it this weekend for the first time. Worked well, no off flavors (other than it was cali tap water which isn't amazing..) I only had to charge it once for the weekend.

I'm leaving again tomorrow for 3 days and doing the Mojave Road, so I'll report back again..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior