Water Storage

trump

Adventurist
If you use co2 you will end up with carbonated water if it is left under pressure.

Is the idea to pump it up at home and leave it under pressure all the time? I guess I'm confused because IMO it seems like reinventing the wheel. Is there some advantage of this setup I've missed?

herm

Adventurer
you could possibly adapt a well water pressure accumulator in the system, they have a bladder and an air fitting, usually you set the pressure once, but it may work for this also.

5Runner

Adventurer
Is the idea to pump it up at home and leave it under pressure all the time? I guess I'm confused because IMO it seems like reinventing the wheel. Is there some advantage of this setup I've missed?

My current plan was to have an air compressor run to a tank. A hose off the tank to a pressure regulator to reduce the pressure from 120 psi to about 25 to 30 psi. Then through a filter. Then into the water tank.

The whole system would be live at all times. 120 psi air in the tank ready for tires, etc. and 30 psi in the water tank at all time ready to dispense water. This way you could run your water all you want at night with the rig completely off. The 120 psi would feed plenty of pressure at 30 psi to the water system. No pump or compressor running off the battery when at camp and using pressurized water delivery.

That is my end goal...just stuck at the air filtering part...ESPECIALLY from air that was stored in an air tank (rusty condensation)

hoaxci5

Observer

Yes a corny keg needs to be pressurized prior to transport because they generally will leak from the main fill hole if not sealed with some pressure.

The advantage for me was I had all the equipment already and just needed a couple dollars worth of fittings. I'm not sure how thats reinventing the wheel though... it's just another option for water dispensing without getting too complicated.

hoaxci5

Observer
My current plan was to have an air compressor run to a tank. A hose off the tank to a pressure regulator to reduce the pressure from 120 psi to about 25 to 30 psi. Then through a filter. Then into the water tank.

The whole system would be live at all times. 120 psi air in the tank ready for tires, etc. and 30 psi in the water tank at all time ready to dispense water. This way you could run your water all you want at night with the rig completely off. The 120 psi would feed plenty of pressure at 30 psi to the water system. No pump or compressor running off the battery when at camp and using pressurized water delivery.

That is my end goal...just stuck at the air filtering part...ESPECIALLY from air that was stored in an air tank (rusty condensation)

That sounds like a great idea and I can defiantly see wanting to run a filter in that setup. In my case I can't see how a simple compressor taking cabin air is any worse than me breathing it, so I didn't install any filtration. (I as always could be wrong though)

rezdiver

Adventurer
look on ebay and see if you can find a low pressure diving compressor filter setup, these are designed to remove oil, water, and contaminants from low pressure air feeding directly to the diver. dont confuse the ones used for high pressure compressors for filling tanks, they are way more expensive.

trump

Adventurist
I'm not sure how thats reinventing the wheel though... it's just another option for water dispensing without getting too complicated.

The 5 gallon plastic can wasn't cutting it anymore. Too large to get small amounts of water.

There are much easier ways of getting small amounts of water out of a 5 gallon can (besides tipping it over) than hauling around a heavy keg and applying air pressure to it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=370723&postcount=19

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=381810&postcount=35

I've also seen a foot operated pump out there somewhere.

Just a couple options. Don't get me wrong, I like the ingenuity, it just seems like a lot of work for running water. If the cap leaks or something breaks, then you have an even heavier water can that you now have to pour. If it saved substantial weight or cargo space, I think I would feel different about it.

5Runner

Adventurer
look on ebay and see if you can find a low pressure diving compressor filter setup, these are designed to remove oil, water, and contaminants from low pressure air feeding directly to the diver. dont confuse the ones used for high pressure compressors for filling tanks, they are way more expensive.

Thanks...this an idea I have not heard of yet. I have looked into the high pressure ones for industrial purposes. $600+ quickly ended that possibility.

This is why I love internet forums.

cweight

Observer
Might as well ask... can you just use gravity? It never fails. Of course it doesn't work so well if you need the water higher than the tank, but I have seen quite a few folks spend a lot of time pressurizing when good old gravity would have done the trick. I arranged things around the idea of using gravity. (where I blew it was in the air intake side of the equation :)

Cheers,Chris

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Might as well ask... can you just use gravity? It never fails.
Sure you can. You just won't get any significant pressure, and the water supply has to be above the outlet. For the 60 psi the OP is talking about, you would need a water column 139 feet high. Not very practical on an expedition rig, so yes, good ol' gravity works good enough for most of us. But a pressurized system with a 10-20 gallon capacity sure would be convenient.

JP

5Runner

Adventurer
Might as well ask... can you just use gravity? It never fails. Of course it doesn't work so well if you need the water higher than the tank, but I have seen quite a few folks spend a lot of time pressurizing when good old gravity would have done the trick. I arranged things around the idea of using gravity. (where I blew it was in the air intake side of the equation :)

Cheers,Chris

The other issue with gravity is center of gravity, (or mass, really). If I put 14 gallons of water high so that the spigot is feed by gravity, it does just that...puts weight "high" in your vehicle and raises your COG. I want to keep the tanks as low as possible, but then be able to open only the upper hatch of my cargo area to access a spigot.

hoaxci5

Observer
Even with this setup I could still get a siphon going pretty easy if the compressor fails or some other reason. The water is never unattainable no matter what happens I have a quick way to get the water out of the keg. Pressurizing is just the most convenient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior