Water/weather-proof duffel bags for the roof.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Want to do some travel with gear that will need to be outside the vehicle. Trying to determine if it is best to keep clothing and other soft items in water-proof duffel bags or hard-sided cases. Price will certainly play here.

Can anyone recommend appropriate duffel bags for this?

762X39

Explorer
Up here in Canada at MEC they have something called a "Tarmac Bag" in several sizes that I have had my eye on. The bags look like they are made of the same material as "rubber" rafts and appear to be relatively water resistant. Or you could go with waterproof bags used by canoeist's (Seal Line?) and rafters that are absolutely water proof.:coffee:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'll look at the tarmac bag. Dry bags are generally too time consuming to open/pack/stuff/de-air/tie. Also, few of them are really that big :)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have 6 NF duffle bags used on the roof-in flights - helicopters and the oilfield

To date I'm very happy and we use them every where we go.

I have 5 large and 1 medium- -1 pink for my daughter and the rest in black.

Well worth the money- not a failure to date- 4 years of travel-south america - middle east - UK

The large can be packed solid and just meet the 22kg limit- I think the XL would bring you in over weight unless packed with pillows !

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Take a look at the ARB Cargo Storm Bags. I've been using them for a few years now, excellent results. Mind you they are not a river quality dry bag but they do a good with volume efficiency while providing weather protection adequate for roof rack or truck bed use. I've used them for race gear, international luggage, overnight trips and as a general camping luggage, they have held up quite well.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Cargo-Gear-Storm-Bag-Large-10100350-P3618.aspx

Topher Walters

Adventurer
I've had good luck with the water proof bags from Cabelas. Some of the fabric has faded with months of exposure to the sun but they hold up well and are less expensive then many other large water proof bags.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
501b66cc-38f4-bc9a.jpg

That's a Sealine bag on the roof with all our clothing. We basically lived like that in the Outback for two months. It held up very well. That was 2001. Still use it for many other things and it's still holding up strong.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The North Face Basecamp Duffels are not truly waterproof, but the heavy PVC fabric will never wet-through. It's highly unlikely your stuff would get wet even in a pretty stout run of rain in one of those duffles. I was speaking with one of the product designers at TNF who isn't responsible for these duffels, but he was quick to say, it's the best product they make, and maybe ever made. They sure are copied a bunch. Not long ago one of TNF's sponsored snowboarders kicked a Basecamp Duffel off a mountain in Alaska. It fell a few thousand feet and looked good as new.

I met a guy in Alaska who rode his BMW from Argentia with a Basecamp Duffel strapped to his moto. He said it worked better than anything else he had tried.

I wouldn't even say they're expensive for what they are. I think they're a crazy bargain.

Shiryas

Adventurer
Watershed

I have rafted for over 20 years and have had a lot of "dry" and not so dry bags and duffels. Hands down the best I have used are Watershed's.

The ziplock type seal they use does take some training so you don't ruin the bag, kind of a finesse over force thing but they give you the instructions. It seals very well and is easy to use once you see how it works.

Attachments

• watershed.jpg
    watershed.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 593

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I have a Northface Duffel, I have used it often in some wet climates, to include the Amazon and Equatorial Guinea Africa and the duffel has performed very well. It's not submersible but keeps contents dry under heavy rain!

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have an Acend 10L dry bag under my front seat in the fj40... I run it topless for 8 months out of the year and it gets dumped on, snowed on, mud and rain... never once had a drop of water inside. I keep a set of gloves, warm hat, and a down vest in it year round. It was like $12 at bass pro shop, and it has a small web daisy chain on it to lash it down. I love it so much, I have asked for two big ones for Christmas. Great kit and great price.

Adventurer
HI All,
Based on the comments in this thread, yesterday I bought a North Face Base Camp Duffel large. Seems to be really nice but only use will confirm this.

Sparky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman