Ways to Increase the Jeep JK Payload

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'd lose the chain. Seat removal is probably a good idea too. I'll bet thats at least 60 pounds, add in the chain, and you're 100 pounds lighter. if you can downsize another 100 pounds, I'd say you're good enough. I've got no proof, but I think there has to be a fudge factor built in to weight ratings.

haven

Expedition Leader
X2 on the brake upgrade.

Too bad Jeep doesn't (yet) sell the J8 in USA. It has a reinforced frame, rear leaf springs, a Dana 60 rear axle, brakes from a Dodge RAM pickup, and a cargo rating of about 2500 lbs. Some day...

JPK

Explorer
I have to say that changing much other than your suspension is overkill. The D44's are fine, the oem tires are fine (they're rated load is 2405lbs@50lbs, no matter how much you stuff into the Jeep your not going to approach 9,420lbs which is nearly 2X the curb weight of the JKU), the frame is fine, the brakes are fine... Not an issue for a little more camping gear.

Want to handle the weight without the squat? Change out the springs and shocks and what else needs it. There are other options but I sure love my AEV suspension.

As for weight, my JKU has the AEV bumpers with a 37" BFG hanging off the rear tire carrier, a winch in front, corner gaurds, the heavier hard top and hard doors installed for most of the time I've owned it, a roof rack mounted to the hard top (Garvin Track Rack,) and also the 5.7VVT Hemi and a small, about eighteen Guinness (15oz cans) 12v Engel fridge. The cargo area has a Bestop box mounted, the lighter duty version. Through hunting season the Jeep stays full and fuller with my son's and my deer or duck/goose hunting gear or both when seasons overlap. I've used a 50lb hitch hauler mounted alternatively in the front and the rear to haul 400lbs of corn at a shot and a few deer. I also mounted a shortened UWS tool box in a UWS hitch hauler in the front reciever for a couple of months and it was used to carry an assortment of gear including a deep cycle battery and charger for some mobile decoys, shot game, beer, food.... When its time to go hunting, the Jeep carries me, ussually my son and always both of our labs, which weigh in at about 65lbs and 75lbs.

I sometimes tow a trailer weighing about 2000lbs with the load in the Jeep.

Does the Jeep ride lower with those heavy loads? Yes. Does it squat? No. Did the springs sag? No. Was handling and ride affected by the loads? No, though on one occasion with a load of 500lbs of corn in a rear mounted, 50lb or so UWS hitch hauler, a ton of gear in the cargo area and the two dogs in the rear seat, the steering was noticably lighter also, the Jeep rides a just little better with a heavy load. After waterfowl seasons ended January 29th I unloaded the Jeep, it regained maybe an inch or so of height.

JK brakes work fine with a heavy load, even with 37" tires.

Now that said, its a good idea to carry all that you need but not more than you need. If nothing else, unsticking a lighter Jeep is easier than a heavy one and your milage will be better too. The smaller bottles of dawn and laundry detergent (Geez, I want to go campimg with you!), etc are a good idea. Ditch the chain, almost anything a chain can do can be done with a lighter strap...

If you do go with AEV's suspension, you'll have better than oem ride, handling, cornering and braking too. (AEV's system significantly reduced front end dive on braking, it also addresses roll center issues which allow for flatter cornering without much body roll and their included - with the premium system - high steer kit fixes some oem geometry issues as well.)

After the instal, just load up and go have fun!

JPK

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
JCMatthews hit the nail on the head. As best I can figure, I'm at about 1,400 lbs of payload right now, so I need to lose about 350 lbs of gear to stay within the factory limit.

I'll be taking some really long trips, so this won't be a one weekend overload and then back to normal. I don't want to risk damaging my Jeep and I don't want to kill anyone on the highway either so I'm going to try to cut down the amount of weight I'm carrying.

One thing I'm looking at is to just cut everything down a little bit in size. Instead of grabbing the gallon jug of bleach out of the laundry room, I'll put some in a pint bottle and bring that. Instead of the big bottle of Dawn off the back of the kitchen sink, I'll put some of it in a small plastic bottle. I've already figured that I can save 100 lbs by downsizing containers to smaller sizes - but I still need to find another 250 lbs. to get rid of.

My recovery gear weighs in at a whopping 80 lbs. -- hilift jack at 29 lbs. 25' of 3/8" chain at 39 lbs and the Hilift Offroad kit at 12 lbs + some D rings and tow straps. I'd hate to cut out my recovery gear but that's an easy (and tempting) 80 lbs to get rid of.

Even with all that I'm still 170 lbs over the payload limit. To go further, I'm going to have to start cutting into the fun stuff, like hunting and fishing gear, or the luxury stuff like the canopy, tent, chairs and lantern.

Does anyone know how much the back seats in a Jeep JK Unlimited 4 door weigh? I wonder how much weight I'd get back if I rip out the back seats? They are 60/40 split seats. I wonder how much the 60 part weighs, that would still leave me with 3 passengers total.

Nuggett,
I think that you are over thinking things as well. Most vehicles made get used regularly above the GVWR Take a smallish sedan. Put 5 adults in it, and you are maxed out. Add a duffle bag or two to the trunk and now you really overdoing it. Better becareful the frame may crack and being unibody now the doors are hanging up and we can't get out.

The truth is that the GVWR is not a magical number, that if exceded will cause damage or destruction if exceeded within limits. The car hauling all of the building supplies from Home Depot that we have all seen is extreme, but 500 lbs over the GVWR of your JKU is nothing to be concerned about. I wish that I was at home so that I could get you a picture or two. I used to be a Scout Master, and I have pictures of my XJ loaded for camp. I used a pet divider to keep sleeping bags and tents from coming forward onto the passengers. We wedged things on top until nothing else would fit. Then, and maybe not recommended, I would hook up to my loaded M416 trailer and off we would go to camp with three boys in the back seat and two adults up front. I had a Tomken front bumber, 33X10.5 tires and one on the roof along with the Hilift and the shovel.

Now I know that many will say that I am crazy or unsafe, but I traveled at lower speeds, kept a safe following distance, and just took it easy. I had a lift with stiffer rear springs, and was always making sure my breaks were correctly adjusted.

I had years and years of great service from this Jeep and took my wife in it on a 3 month long trip to Alaska. I traveled all over the Western United States, took regular tips to Moab, and made one trip to Southern Arizona/ Mexico with my own children in the back seat. After 13 years and 150,000 miles it was starting to show signs of needing chasis stiffiners. I sold it and it is now providing wonderful service to a father daughter duo in Idaho. When my nine year old starts talking about it it makes here cry, she wants it back.

Lay out all of your gear reduce container sizes just so everything fits, then load up and go have a good time. If the back end is sagging some then like we have all said stiffer springs. Quite worrying and start enjoying. Your JKU will give you years of enjoyment if you will just use it.

Last edited:

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
JCMatthews - thanks for some great advice. I've gotten it down to 150 lbs over the rated payload and I'm happy with that number and I'm not gonna worry about it. Even though my next trip is going to be over 11,000 miles (Florida to Alaska round trip) I think that 150 lbs over is not going to be too bad and I can always try to get rid of even more gear as I'm traveling.

Yesterday I was at almost 500 lbs over so I've done a lot in the last 24 hours to get it in line and strip out some of the fluff.

Vizoo

Adventurer
25,000 miles expedition

Hello everybody,

Still a long way to the beginning of my expedition but already got the JK and starting to prepare it, hope will have something to show by the end of next week.

I the meantime, I have updated my blog with some nice pictures of my visits to DeLand, if you guys care to see the link is HERE

For those willing to join part of the way, check my route HERE and don't hesitate on email me! I will be writing an 170 pages book of this trip and everybody joining will be sure mentioned!!

Happy trails!!

Renato
americas2011@yahoo.com

Vizoo

Adventurer
Overloaded for 21k miles

So... We are now in Cancun and the odometer just turned 21,000 miles, the actual overall weight of the JK is 6,820 pounds (us included) and it the lowest weight we reached so far (7,480 being the highest).

Suspension is a 9th degree from AEV and stock Rubicon tires. We have gone through asphalt, dirt, snow, sand, mud (not much) and some pretty rough unpaved terrain on Baja and inland Mexico. No problem so far. On highways we maintain average speed of 70+ mph (top speed of 106.875 mph on two GPSs)

Mileage is low, I will publish the results shortly.

http://www.americas2011.com

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
As mentioned there is more to this than just adding a few things and calling it good.

If you could get your hand on the data, I think getting your hands on the specifications for the modifications that went into the J8 chassis would be worth an in depth look, specifically the modifications to the frame. I would be very interested to know what they changed, added, etc.

There is also the T1 military long wheelbase TJ program. It had a coil rear suspension AND a much larger payload capacity. I think it was something like 2000lbs.

My feelings with the JK chassis is that the major stumbling block for long term high weight use would be the rear axle and rear suspension. I have heard of a decent number of people that are bending the axle flanges in heavily used heavy weight JK 4-doors with larger tires. I don't know how much of this is tire or weight? Spring rate can be increased easy enough. Control arms and mounts could be a factor at some point. I always wondered why they went with leaf springs on the J8?

Tom Sheppard goes into this issue fairly in depth in his books. A summary of what I remember, lighter is better, always. He promotes the trailer thing a little bit. Also, keeping the weight forward and as low as possible. A vehicle that is heavier on the rear axle than the front generally performs poorly and/or works much harder.

Vizoo

Adventurer
I always wondered why they went with leaf springs on the J8?

As a rally pilot I like leaf springs better then coil springs, they respond faster on "ribs". The J8 payload is 1 metric ton, 2,200 pounds.
Leaf springs also have an advantage over coil when it comes to emergency repair in the middle of nowhere.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a set of heavy duty JK springs I am going to be posting up for sale, they are off a 2012 4-door hardtop Rubicon with tow package, let me know if you can use them.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
As a rally pilot I like leaf springs better then coil springs, they respond faster on "ribs". The J8 payload is 1 metric ton, 2,200 pounds.
Leaf springs also have an advantage over coil when it comes to emergency repair in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know, a coil fails and it only takes out the 'spring' function of the suspension. A leaf spring fails and you loose the 'spring' function AND the 'location' function......

I would like the see what they did on the T1 military version of the TJ. I'm pretty sure it had a 2000lb payload and coil springs.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I did a little more digging into this.......

From what I can gather the J8 frame is hydroformed of thicker material than the stock JK frame even though the dimensions are much the same. There are also added reinforcements in key areas, mainly the front control arms attachment points. There are added brackets for the rear leaf springs on the rear section of the frame. The ends of the frame where the J8 bumpers bolt on are also beefed up to allow lifting of the entire vehicle by the bumpers.

The J8 was ran over the same durability course as a JK........the J8 lasted 3 times longer than a stock JK as far as useful life.

There are a LOT of differences between them, not just cosmetic things....

jdzl

If it can tow 3500 lbs, + 1200lbs of gear then that pretty much sorts out any worries about engine, tranny, cooling and brakes right?

So what's that leave? Suspension, frame, axles? The AEV suspension is designed to carry a heavier load. I mean all these aftermarket bumpers, armor, winches, etc people put on there don't seem to be a concern and they would easily add hundreds of pounds, on top of what you were carrying inside before, no?

Could always swap in bigger axles if you're really worried about it.. The frame looks pretty robust, but the info above about the J8 is intriguing...

My $0.2

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Being able to carry the weight around for a few miles on the highway is TOTALLY different than being able to carry that weight over rough terrain for extended periods of time......

Interestingly the J8 still uses a semi-float ( C-clip! ) 35-spline rear axle, I think it was originally from the SRT-10 program?

JK's have been known to bend the rear axle flanges.

It's not so much just 'bigger' axles really, but axles that are factory rated for more load. I think the axles off something like a Dodge 2500 Powerwagon would be just about perfect. Dynatrac offers a full float rear axle for the JK with the factory style ABS sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior