Ways to Increase the Jeep JK Payload

Ridge638

Well, this may not be a scientific response but I have been driving a 2008 JKU since new and have gone through some various stages of suspension and vehicle mods which has increased the weight to where I am at now. Currently I have a Gobi Rack, Front and Or-Fab bumpers / tire carrier with winch and jerry cans, hi lift jack, dual battery, on board air, a few extra skid plates and rock rails along with 35" Goodyear Wranglers. This along with my recovery gear and other essentials in the jeep would lead me to believe that I am close to or exceed the stock ratings.

The reason I post is that I noticed with the stock suspension, when I carried a heavy load or even just had four passengers and my dogs on board that the vehicle handled poorly. So I started looking at how to improve this:

Stage 1: I added 2 1/2" spring spacers and wheel spacers which improved the ride dramatically. Handling was much better than stock. The ride still suffered with a full payload though. And of course I wanted a winch and a front bumper that could handle it. So...

Stage 2: Added the front bumper/winch and the the front end took a dive and handling / braking was poor. So I added a 3" Teraflex Suspension, adj. track bar, with springs and shocks. Also added the 35" tires, rear bumper, and rock rails, etc increasing the vehicle weight quite a bit but the ride went back to normal and the handling was better than stock with no payload problems! This lead me to believe that the stock springs are a big part of the problem with the weight capacity of the vehicle. Also had little impact on the mileage -went from 17 to 16mpg. Leading to :

Stage 3: I added a Gobi Rack, dual battery system, and probably several more things I am missing. This cost me mileage - went to about 13mpg. I swapped out the gears to 5.13, added heavy front control arms and added axle gussets to the front axle. Even loaded down with extra camping items on the roof, travelling offroad, and a full payload of passengers and dogs, the Jeep handles much better than stock. Mileage went back up to about 14.5mpg with the gearing. Towed a 900# off road trailer with RTT for a few thousand miles which dropped me to about 13mpg.

Stage 4: Never thought there would be a stage 4, but I recently had some vibration in the front end and traced it to a bad drag link. I added the AEV hi steer kit and the AEV geometry correction brackets to the front. The combination of the two made the Jeep handle better than I would have imagined it could. Very little steering lean and braking is better than ever. I highly recommend both to everyone that has a JK, it truly made it much more fun to drive.

I have 66,000+ miles on my rig over a lot of various terrain with a lot of weight on this heavy vehicle and towing my RTT trailer and have had no problems. I would say that replacing the factory springs was the biggest contributor to the improvement in payload capacity but I share the story of my vehicle stages to show that every modification that you make certainly impacts the vehicle and needs to be accounted for. I believe that the frame and axles are excellent and have not seen or heard of problems with the factory D44 rear or non Rubi - D30 front axles as mentioned previously. If you want to increase payload I would look to the factory coils and shocks first. I have heard of overheating of the Tranny in my vintage of JK but havent had that problem myself - I would add a tranny cooler if that became a problem.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you for posting some real world info. Do you have a vehicle weight? Front and rear weight? That would be really valuable to stick in this thread.

The only part I disagree with is the front end issues. There have been known tube strength issues on the D30 and D44 front ( basically the same thing anyways ). The ears on the front axle in early model years also tended to suffer an 'ovaling' issue causing to failure. The rear axle flanges have also been known to bend on large tire heavy JKs. This could be more from the large tire or the weight, I just don't know. Most of the issues I have seen have come from what I would call abuse or misuse, but it's still a failure that should be noted.

Ridge638

I don't have my vehicles weight but I am going to try and get it weighed as that would be good to know. I also want to weigh my trailer and will post up when I do. For the front end concerns, those issues should be an easy fix with Chromoly Shafts and/or C-Gussets and axle sleeves if you are going to be challenging your Jeep to the rough stuff. I do have the C-Gussets on my front end just in case I have a hard drop off a rock or something but I didn't add the axle sleeves as I don't do any extreme rock crawling. I was on a trip when a guy broke an axle "abusing" his Jeep on some rocks. He had spares and swapped it out right there on the trail.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
What I believe is missing in this discussion is that the manufacturer considers more than will the hardware survive the expected duty cycle under an expected range of use, but (I believe more importantly) that the vehicle will perform dynamically across a wide range of expected use. I.E. can a soccer mom with car full of little ones returning from the mall, make an emergency lane change at 80+ mph and not have the vehicle going *** over tea kettle.

A car at or above the vehicles gross weight will have lost much of the cars suspension travel and ability to perform as designed is compromised. If you are moderately over, say 15-20% a few times a year, springs or air bags will suffice, assuming the tires are of adequate capacity.

Jim

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I agree basically. A trip across town over GVW a few times a year is one thing.....operating every day over GVW off pavement would be another.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I agree basically. A trip across town over GVW a few times a year is one thing.....operating every day over GVW off pavement would be another.

And considering this is an "Overland" discussion forum, I'd suggest many people on here are interested in doing the later.
Maybe not every day, but certainly for every expedition, which might be many continuous weeks a year.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan