Weldtec Design 2WD Bent I-Beam Lift for E350 (E series vans)

mikracer

Adventurer
Looks sweet! And for the price, I think its a very nice option. Thanks for taking the plunge and posting back, especially after taking a nice long road trip!

Johnny Mathis

great

Yes thanks for the review and updates. Keep us informed should anything change on the van or on your mind in regards to the mod. Hey, post more pics of your spring break trip up the coast !!!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm curious to see some measurements of height... Say to top of wheel wells? Height of tires?

I'd like to compare to see how much higher than my "stock" height. It doesn't look like 4 or 5.5".

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I'm curious to see some measurements of height... Say to top of wheel wells? Height of tires?

I'd like to compare to see how much higher than my "stock" height. It doesn't look like 4 or 5.5".

Measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender well opening.

radorsch

Adventurer
Its just over 25" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender well. Unfortunately, I don't have a before measurement on that dimension.I had some measurements of other dimensions for before and after comparison, but I'm having trouble finding where I wrote them down. I'll try to dig them up and post more before/after measurements.
20150427_181559.jpg
Not the same as lift height, but I did come across a couple of pics that show part of the beams and bump stop before and after:
20150307_164627.jpg
20150307_164647.jpg
Compared to:
20150324_163248.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
For comparison sake I just measured mine where it's parked right now. 20" on one side and 21" on the other side. Your's looks like it was slightly closer to the bumpstops, but I'm sure mine has sagged from stock height.

All factored in, I suspect you're about 4" over 'stock' since you're about 4.5" over where my my 97 E350 is sitting... also factoring in that mine currently has negative(?) chamber on the front wheels (the bottoms are further out than the top). I'd be surprised if this 18 year old Ambo wasn't sagging a wee bit (given the 15k+ hrs on the clock).

From the pictures, it looks like your wheels now have somewhere to move when you go over a bump. :D Where as, on mine, the I beams have wear on them from making contact with the bumpstops.

radorsch

Adventurer
Its definitely much more pleasant to hit a bump now. If you look close at the 2nd "before" picture, you'll notice a shiny patch on the beam under the bump stop. :)
Thanks for the stock measurements. Just by way of disclosure, the measurements I took were on a slight uphill slope in my driveway. I'll try to double check on level ground, too.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My I beams are showing wear, they're not just shiny where they contact. I'm looking forward to replacing the front coils with the almost new set of coils I picked up.

derjack

Adventurer
Yeah, Ramsey is also local here (San Diego) and may know them... Their site says they have been in the biz 20 years.
I haven't found any reviews anywhere, other than a couple yelp posts.
I assume they are using blocks to lift the rear, but It doesn't list them in the description.

:ylsmoke:
as always: "20 years in Business" but nobody knows them? No reviews or anybody who has ever written something about his "new Van lift"? Sounds not very convincing.

btw: I´ve seen their website a year (or so) ago, with the same logo "new website coming soon!" a 12 year old kid can configure a wordpress site in some hours from scratch :smiley_drive:

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Rob for the great review on our stage two kit. it is always great to have happy customers post in forums and give us feedback.
We have been doing the twin traction lifts for years and they work great on the Ford trucks and vans. I have had my 1997 van lifted for 10 years and have a blast in it with many trips down to Mexico. I see that many of you have been waiting for our new site ^ and glad to say it is up and we are adding content regularly. :smiley_drive: I spend more time in the shop then on the computer which has its pros and cons.
I saw that a few voiced concerns on shipping and we can ship you any of our bent I beam kits.
As to date we have also had no issues with the newer vans and the RSC, and will keep you updated as we continue to build these kits.
If you have questions about our suspension please give us a call or email us.
Thanks

Vannibal Smith

Now that you've had your lift a while, how do you like it? I'm trying to decide if there's a difference between the weldtec and the camburg kits, and could use your input in the decision. Do your tires still rub the radius arms? Thanks for the help!

radorsch

Adventurer
Still lovin the lift. It has settled in a bit and I think it even rides a little better now (although maybe I'm just used to it). Definitely an upgrade in ride and small upgrade in handling over stock. Turning radius is a little tighter. I do rub the radius arms at full turn, but not much and I don't crank it over all the way that often.
I have about 3500 miles on it since the lift and I like it. I did get a brief "Service RSC Now" error on Sunday. It came on as I was pulling into a parking spot (head on, level ground). I turned the van off, went for a walk with my kids and when I started the van up again, the warning came on immediately; but went away as soon as I put it in gear. It hasn't come back on yet. I don't think its related to the lift. I'm gonna get it checked out and I'll post again if it was lift related. But, 3500mi without a code before this... I doubt it was the lift.

radorsch

Adventurer
The Weldtec lift included the bent I-beams, custom radius arms, Bilstein front shocks and coil springs. Fir the rear, I had national spring re-arch the leafs and swap the overload for a couple softer springs to make it a little more progressive. IIRC, Camburg's lift used lift blocks in the rear and includes Bilsteins all around. I think the Camburg radius arms might have looked sexier on the web site - although I doubt they are any stouter (or even as stout) as the Weldtec ones. There may be some other minor differences, but I can't remember... other than 1300-1500 bucks.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I dropped off a couple of sets of beams at Weldtec today - we have a lot of them on the shelf from 4x4 conversions. Jeremy has been selling quite a few of these and he wanted to have some more pre-made up. For the price, you can't go wrong. We have also supplied him with FOX shocks with our valving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle