Well I did it! 1990 Lwb

1morebike

Adventurer
Just drove it home in a monsoon here in Washington. The front end needs ALOT of work and a new set of tires is a must. Drove it home 2.5 hours and had few problems. At one point there was screaming noise coming from the shifter area that came out of no place. It lasted for a few miles then went away. The wind kept blowing the drivers side wiper of the side of the truck so would have to pull over and push it back in sync with the other one . It's got 274,000 on the body but new engine 80,000 miles ago and timing and water pump were done 40,000 ago. I paid $1800 for it, might be little high but what can you do. Not sure about my decision but it's mine now.

1morebike

Adventurer
Just drove it home in a monsoon here in Washington. The front end needs ALOT of work and a new set of tires is a must. Drove it home 2.5 hours and had few problems. At one point there was screaming noise coming from the shifter area that came out of no place. It lasted for a few miles then went away. The wind kept blowing the drivers side wiper of the side of the truck so would have to pull over and push it back in sync with the other one . It's got 274,000 on the body but new engine 80,000 miles ago and timing and water pump were done 40,000 ago. I paid $1800 for it, might be little high but what can you do. Not sure about my decision but it's mine now.

and here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 40

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Congrats! Love the color.

Probably just need to re-tighten the wiper. Lift up the cap and use a wrench on the nut holding it in place.

1morebike

Adventurer
Well I already bonded with it on my drive home that day. The highway was pretty much under water and you couldn't see because the rain was coming down so hard and 40 mph crosswinds. It still got me home. It does have more problems then the p.o. Let on. The temp gauge never moved much about the low temp tick mark. And the screeching coming from the shifter area was very worry some. But all things can be fixed. The po also glued a piece of wood to the dash so stuff didn't slide off. It's pretty crappy looking and really really glued on .

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Glued it? Where on the dash, passenger side? It could just be bolted in place if he bolted the oh crap handle back in place.

1morebike

Adventurer
Oh no it's glued on all the way across the top of the dash and sticks up about an inch so you can put stuff on the dash and it doesn't slide off when you give gas. I'll take a pic of it for you see I case you want to do it to yours : ) the best part is it went all the way across to the passenger door but then he realized he couldn't open the vent window she he cut it off and into the dash a little.

1morebike

Adventurer
as promised here is pic of the awesome fabrication skills of the former owner. i have now removed the crappy stick with no damage to the dash. also here is pic of another thing the former owner did, apparently his kids surprised him by getting montero or maybe Mitsubishi written in maybe japanese... who knows what it really says. also took it to the mechanic today and they said not much is wrong with. they said it needs a tune up and a belt change. i thought the front end was all bad but they say its seemed pretty good and new set tires should help out a lot. over all im pretty happy and the gas milage is waaaay better then the 80 i know on paper its not much better but it seems better in the wallet.IMG_0579.JPGIMG_0580.JPG

1morebike

Adventurer
the funny thing is he put the little level thing on it but he didnt level it so it was always of. the cup holder double stuck to the dash are also pretty awesome the fact that he didn't even cut the tabs that hang them from the windows is cool.

1morebike

Adventurer
took it the mechanic for a tune up and it was bad news. one plug is seized in, the front brakes were done by someone who just mad a mess of them, and it "dumping oil out of the valve gaskets. and now things i noticed. it grinds in second and third when its cold (5sp) the tires are shot and it needs new shock all the way around springs in the back. it may need more steering parts but we will see. i have the mechanic working on the plug if they can get that out ill keep it and do the rest over time. I'm not sure if i search around if ill find anything better and i already love this truck. we will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior