Well I did it! 1990 Lwb

1morebike

Adventurer
update: so the plug came out and the front brakes were shot nothing $1200 couldn't fix. it got all new belts,dizzy cap, plugs, front brakes pads, front calipers, and all new brake lines. after all this was done it seemed better, i put a new set of 31x10.5x15 discover st's on it and was pretty happy. two days after the tires were put on and whole 20 miles i was climbing a steep hill at the end of our driveway and then nothing just stopped running. had towed to the mechanic and after some searching it turns out the timing belt broke! i had paper work from the p.o. showing the belt was done 39,000 miles ago 3 years ago. anyway the water pump was leaking and we believe when the belt was replaced the didn't bother with the pulleys or tensioner. so they are working on it as we speak and I'm sure I'm looking at another $1000. it still need some new shock and some front end work but we will see. i thought of selling it and just starting over but i already have a lot invested in it so i guess ill keep going. i plan to have the truck for a very long time so I'm considering it an investment.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Oh man...make sure you shop around! :( Junkyards frequently have Monteros, and I see them parted out on Craigslist every so often as well. You might have been able to find a complete front brake setup for no more than 200 bucks (calipers, rotors, lines, the whole she-bang). Also, people sell parts both on here and on 4x4wire.com so check there too. Car-part.com as mentioned is another good resource.

Network on here and on 4x4wire, there are probably Montero owners near you who would help you work on the truck and save a ton of cash in the process. They really are bulletproof vehicles; I can't help but think you're paying for a combination of a neglectful PO and a greedy mechanic. Read all you can! Welcome to the fold and I hope things get better for you and the truck! My '89 was a beast...did everything, went everywhere, and all I ever did was put gas in it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior