Wet Carpet after driving through a puddle

raysobi

Adventurer
Hey All,

It had been raining whole week here in Houston and I had been driving through rain and puddles here and there.

Then I noticed a damp smell in my car, after further investigation there was water coming through under my floor mats!!

I crawl under the chassis and I don’t see how the water could had gone through?

Any idea how?? I’m also positive it wasn’t my kids.

fb8321c1d1286b6172d364a4445f48db.jpg

98784ccd0ddf8fa41fc59f644e65879f.jpg

6f4a6132896f7e0010dac87dd97b418e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doing_Dirt

It doesn't seem the top of the rubber mats were wet so I'm guessing it came in through the fire wall via engine compartment. Maybe there's a rubber seal or grommet near the bottom of the dash (where the carpet starts) thats missing?

raysobi

Adventurer
Yes i do have a sun roof and yes it is not coming through from the top.

The rubber mat wasn’t wet on the top at all and it’s coming from the bottom.

motoboss

Bad Influence
Try the body seal at the firewall and door. The factory seam sealer can fail and let water in.
On my Jeep the fresh air intake at the glove box was leaking after a heater core replacement. Rain got in from the windshield wiper grill at the hood/windshield and didn't drain out but around the intake. The water leaked down the firewall behind the carpet and pooled under the mat.

Just a guess.......

Salonika

Monterror Pilot

I wasn’t thinking it was coming in from the top. Your sunroof has drain tubes that usually lead down to the wheel well area (my Montero doesn’t have a sunroof but my other cars do). If the tubes plug up the water will back up in them and if there are any connections along the way they can leak. This has happened to me several times on other cars. Check your drain tubes. It’s the most likely scenario esp. if you’ve owned your truck for a while, and driven it in rain and water without any issues. In this scenario the water would come from the bottom up. Also chalk can be your friend with troubleshooting. Chalk up your door seals or frame, or any other place you suspect water movement. The chalk will show the evidence very well.

raysobi

Adventurer

I wasn’t thinking it was coming in from the top. Your sunroof has drain tubes that usually lead down to the wheel well area (my Montero doesn’t have a sunroof but my other cars do). If the tubes plug up the water will back up in them and if there are any connections along the way they can leak. This has happened to me several times on other cars. Check your drain tubes. It’s the most likely scenario esp. if you’ve owned your truck for a while, and driven it in rain and water without any issues. In this scenario the water would come from the bottom up. Also chalk can be your friend with troubleshooting. Chalk up your door seals or frame, or any other place you suspect water movement. The chalk will show the evidence very well.

Thank you, I will do that.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Agreed with Salonika, I pulled my wheel well covers a while back and apparently Gen III's have the same issue where dirt can collect (or ice) in the area that the sunroof drain is supposed to go so you can get standing water in there...

mizedog

Observer
Have you checked your heater core for leaks? Or...

I had similar symptoms with my CJ7, and discovered the floorboards had rusted through. I didn't catch what vehicle you're driving,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Hmmm...passenger foot well, no moisture on top of the mat, have you checked the Air Conditioning condensate drain?
Mine got clogged up, this season and flooded the foot well. I kept thinking water was getting in through the door seal while washing, parked on angle in the rain, etc. A long drive and high humidity with the A/C on I guess was too much. It's a bit of a challenge to clean out. Drain tube exits dead center of the firewall, above transmission bellhousing, between a couple of hard lines. I suppose it's because our trucks are built left and right hand drive. Pretty much have to lay across the engine, on cardboard, etc to see it and get to it. Use a piece of stiff wire to clear out the tube. If it's blocked it will gush water out.

airbox

Hi raysobi, I has this same issue when I lived in Puerto Rico on my Gen 2.5. It would only show up in heavy rains. I eventually traced it down to the pinch welds where the roof exterior meets the side panels of the car. The water was passing through the weld on the passenger side gutter (behind the chrome trim) and seeping through to the inside A pillar and travelling down to the floorboard behind the ECU and making the carpet really wet. I took a garden hose and had a friend spray directly at the gutter to locate the problem. Sealed the gutter with some clear silicone gel (just behind the chrome trim, not completely filling the gutter). Hope that helps!

raysobi

Adventurer
Thank you for all the info.

Finally was able to recreate rain scenarios and here is the culprit..

45ff951d0c16128fc12625cf174fcd83.jpg
e91c8657388f0f00ecc05ff76eed9131.jpg
643834a8df10b9ab60824c57fa691018.jpg
69dbb4c60b2159b41887079a86977669.jpg
a0c55e48d4dc2c81754719715fdb2eb6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior