What is a fair price for a 4runner?

stoneydude

Observer
I keep hearing about this "Toyota tax." All the 4x4 Toyota's near me are being listed at ridiculous prices. One car popped out at me, 1996 4runner Limited 136k miles. No leather but all the other options (locking rear diff, auto 4wd, sunroof) new radiator, new master cyl, newer tires. I look at edmunds, KBB, Nada and they all say its worth $3500-4000 but he's asking $5800. That's higher than what they say it's worth retail!
He's had the ad up for 2 months so clearly other people think he's crazy. What is a reasonable price for this 4runner?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4409621845.html

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
IMO he made the price higher because he just bought BFG AT's, new master cylinder, brakes, etc. For some reason people think that if they put money in a car for regular maintenance, they will get it back... Just because I put 2k in upgrades on my truck doesnt make it worth more than it really is...

I'd low ball him. Give your argument saying its been up for two month, not much interest, You're a serious buyer with cash in hand and can take it ASAP for whatever amount you'll pay and go from there. Give him your number and say if you change your mind let me know, etc. The worst he can say is no, right?

In my area, the Toyota "tax" is somewhat of a reality. It seems to be a mixture of delusional sellers combined with impatient buyers that believe Toyotas will "run forever". From my conversations with sellers on Craigs, I get the clear impression that they don't really care what Edmunds and the like say a car is worth. They seem fairly confident that the car will sell. And, from what I can tell they do!:confused: Of course, I have no idea what they get for the vehicle, but in many cases the car is gone.

I wouldn't suggest lowballing. If, after inspecting the vehicle, you really want it, I'd start a dialogue with the owner about what you believe the car is worth. You don't want to the owner to take your offer as an insult. After all, if they've received similar offers already. Why sell to you if they think you're an ************? Another similar offer will come or already be on the table. Show the owner where you're coming from and see if they can be persuaded.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Finance companies love lending money on Toyotas because they hold their value because finance companies love to lend money on Toyotas. It's the same reason tuition is expensive, it can be because every can pay for it because the Fed will lend money to pay it. When I bought my 1997 4Runner with 197k miles on it my credit union just asked how much I needed and how long I needed it for. It's not a 1996 Chevy you're trying to buy.

v_man

Explorer
Walk into the encounter with $4,500 in cash in an envelope . People have an emotional and visceral reaction to money , most of us do not frequently hold or see that kind of money in person .

When he see's that you are a serious buyer with cold hard cash who is ready to play ball , he might just crumble .

5280transplant

Walk into the encounter with $4,500 in cash in an envelope . People have an emotional and visceral reaction to money , most of us do not frequently hold or see that kind of money in person .

When he see's that you are a serious buyer with cold hard cash who is ready to play ball , he might just crumble .

There has actually been studies about this. Someone is statistically more inclined to accept your offer if they actually hold the cash. Physically hand him the cash and tell him its his for the car and he will be more likely to accept your deal. Good luck

olly hondro

mad scientist
$5800 probably means he wants $5000. Lets say its a $4000 truck with $1000 new tires. Meet him in the middle at $4500 like the v-man suggests. Buyer/Seller only has to absorb half the cost of the new BFGs, everyone happy.

High_Country

Adventurer
I concur with a lot of what's been said already. Remember the car has value both to the seller and to the buyer. What is a car worth? Well, it's 'worth' whatever someone is willing to pay for it OR the amount of money someone is willing to turn down to keep it.

NADA, blue book, edmunds, etc all figure a car's worth on mostly objective statistics. YOU decide what the car is worth to you. The owner will decide what it's worth to him (likely less than he's asking).

Agree with professionally approaching him with your logic and cold hard cash. Just say something like, "I know you are looking for $5800, but the car is worth $4500 to me. That's not personal that is just what I value this car at - for me. If you value it more than that, you'll hold on to it. No big deal."

stoneydude

Observer
Great tip on having the cash in the envelope, I'm sure that will help me at least get a dialogue going.
I drove out to see that 4runner and it was absolute crap, the reason he hasn't sold it yet. Front frame damage and bad paint job covering up the radiator support. He replaced the front seats with cloth ones because of an electrical short that burnt some wire that he replaced yada yada yada. I ran away from that. There's another one for sale same year has a Sonoran steel 1.2 lift and ARB bumper and warn winch, fading paint on the hood. The rear has a huge rake to it, is that normal with the 1.2 kit?
00Z0Z_zn0omYRVyY_600x450.jpg

After seeing all of these jalopies that people swear are made of gold I might just settle for an economy car and wait until I can buy something new

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After seeing all of these jalopies that people swear are made of gold I might just settle for an economy car and wait until I can buy something new

There's always another one out there. ALWAYS.

Don't be afraid to expand your search a bit. There are lots of 4runners in CO and NM.

If your budget is tight (and whose isn't? ;) ) you might also want to at least check out other platforms. The excessive asking price of Toyotas often leads to diminished prices of competing vehicles. Think of a 1st gen Xterra, a 92 - up Trooper, Montero, or similar vehicle, they can often be found in great shape for less than half of what someone is asking for a clapped-out 4runner.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
There's always another one out there. ALWAYS.

Don't be afraid to expand your search a bit. There are lots of 4runners in CO and NM.

If your budget is tight (and whose isn't? ;) ) you might also want to at least check out other platforms. The excessive asking price of Toyotas often leads to diminished prices of competing vehicles. Think of a 1st gen Xterra, a 92 - up Trooper, Montero, or similar vehicle, they can often be found in great shape for less than half of what someone is asking for a clapped-out 4runner.

Good call. You can buy a brand new Nissan Xterra Pro-4X for the same price you can get a 2010-2012 T4R TE with approx 40k on the odo.

stoneydude

Observer
I've been considering anything and everything. I'm checking out one of my favs a 1996 2 door Tahoe
02.jpg

I can already see some body issues, Tahoe on one side but not the other, missing running board on same side, paint blemishes. All ammo for me to work on the price

stoneydude

Observer
Limited without leather? I wasn't aware of such option. Did he swap the seats out?
He replaced the fronts with crappy cloth ones because of an electrical short in the power seat wires. He was very proud of his handy work talking about how he soldered the wires and not crimped them blah blah blah POS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger