What is a spline?

herdnerd

You used to be able to contact Chrysler here to request the build sheet for your Jeep. It should tell you exactly what axle you have.

M

modelbuilder

The 4x4 Commander has a C213R (Corporate 8 1/4). The ring gear diameter is 213mm or about 8 3/8".

What is the difference between the size of the Axle and the size of the ring gear diameter?

And how does this relate to the Spline? How can it be a corporate 8.25" axle and have a 8.3" ring gear diameter.

I contacted Jeep as well.

DaJudge

Explorer
The only axle I can find listed for the WK is the Chryco 8.25. (I have seen SRT8s with Dana 44s though). They switched to 29 splines I think in '96 so it should be a 29 spline. (although I would do more research to make sure of the spline count.)

If the cover is round and there is a flat line on the bottom of the axle housing looking at from the rear then it is a 8.25.

Here is a complete parts diagram so you can get an idea of how they look.

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/pa...100&callout=23&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

SixLug

Explorer
looks like the 8.25 to me, although your pinion yoke bolts are much larger than whats on my XJ. It does have the 10 dif cover bolts though, and everything else looks similar to me.

M

modelbuilder

So you think it will fit the 29 spline 8.25" aussie locker?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Looks like my 8.25 as well, but like exrunner said, your pinion area looks different. Could just be the difference of models.

You could always buy it and try... if it doesnt fit, I will buy it from you. :)

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Also, if it is indeed a 8.25, you should definitely have the 29 spline. My 96 is a 29 spline, that was the transition year from 27 to 29 spline.

~James

M

modelbuilder

Really? Sweet.

I think I'll go down to my local shop and have them open it up.

Get back to you soon.

SixLug

Explorer
another thing you could do is take off the dif cover and look in the carrier and try to count the splines and measure the ring gear. If its 29, youre probably good to go, and if the ring gear is 8 and 3/8ths or so, I think thats about right too (just from what Ive read on the web). Let us know what you hear from Jeep.

M

modelbuilder

Sounds good. I'm taking it to an off road shop on Saturday. I'll let everyone know.

M

modelbuilder

My rear Axle is a Variable Lock Differential.

Aussie said that even though my rear axle is a 29 Spline, 8.25" Corporate, the locker will not fit into the carrier. Hopefully I will get better news tomorrow.

Bummer!!!!

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
My rear Axle is a Variable Lock Differential.

Aussie said that even though my rear axle is a 29 Spline, 8.25" Corporate, the locker will not fit into the carrier. Hopefully I will get better news tomorrow.

Bummer!!!!

You will have to buy an open carrier for it so you will have to replace the LS carrier with the open carrier. I have the same problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior