What is a spline?

M

modelbuilder

You will have to buy an open carrier for it so you will have to replace the LS carrier with the open carrier. I have the same problem!

How much money are we talking here?

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
How much money are we talking here?

It shouldn't be too bad for the part just as long as you don't go to the dealer for one. I have no idea of what you will have to do to the axle. They may have to set the gears up again to make sure you backlash and everything is good but i would say it is worth if for more traction. I plan on getting a front selectable locker before a rear locker, so i'm not too worried about it for the time being. It will eventually be swapped out with an explorer 8.8 for a little bit of overkill and disc brakes.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
In order to replace the carrier you will need to have the gears set up again. That can run anywhere from $200 to $600 in labour depending on where you are located.

Personally, at that point I'd replace it with a full case locker since the whole thing needs to be disassembled anyway.

I'm not familiar with the "variable lock differential". Is this a clutch pack based diff? What drive system do you have in your Jeep? Select-Trac? Quadra-Trac? Just wondering if you are replacing a part that the electronics are relying on for feedback.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Doesn't that system have some kind of a feed back from the differential when it senses slippage? IIRC it uses the ABS sensors to feed the system data.

There is this video of the system in action but I did't pick out anything about feed back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1TqECPDCTM

I'd be REALLY leary of changing the rear diff without more research. I'm guessing that a true locker will not be compatible with QT-II.

M

modelbuilder

That Wk has the Quadra Drive system. It has an electronic rear locking diff.

The Quadra Trac II system has only a center locking diff. The rear axle is not locked when it is put into 4low.

I think a full carrier replacement locker would probably work. But I don't think I can afford that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior