What is the order in which you'd build your Truck or Ute?

Cmspears

Hey ExPo!

This is a question I am sure will cause some controversy, but I am curious so I will ask nonetheless.

What is your build order for your rig? Where would you start? What would you put off until later down the trail? I've heard so many differing opinions over the years such as suspension before bar work. Recovery before anything else where possible, and the like. Do what do you all think?

and on a side note... The 1999 4x2 4Runner is being retired. I ask this question because we are about to dive into the new (to me) 2010 DCSB 4x4 Tacoma! :ylsmoke:

The goal for the Taco is to be dependable and purpose built overland rig. I want to be able to safely traverse a majority of off-road terrain such as rock, snow, sand, and mud. I am not looking for a rock crawler of any sorts, but more a dependable truck that can get you there, and get you back wherever that may be within reason.

Being able to camp out and off of the platform would be ideal, but I am not currently looking at bed caps or RTT's yet.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What do you plan on doing with it? It may need nothing other than fuel. I'd start with what you need, then go to what you want.

Cmspears

What do you plan on doing with it? It may need nothing other than fuel. I'd start with what you need, then go to what you want.

The goal for the Taco is to be dependable and purpose built overland rig. I want to be able to safely traverse a majority of off-road terrain such as rock, snow, sand, and mud. I am not looking for a rock crawler of any sorts, but more a dependable truck that can get you there, and get you back wherever that may be within reason.

Being able to camp out and off of the platform would be ideal, but I am not currently looking at bed caps or RTT's yet.

Plainjane, that is a really solid question, and I am going to copy my response into the original post.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Sliders (my trials are usually really tight) and good tires, then go use it. After a trip or two you will start to see what needs to be adjusted.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If you do go with a camper or rtt the truck is going to sag real bad. With that in mind choose any suspension upgrades with the end goal in mind. Also remember these things get overloaded real quick.

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree with CreeperSleeper. Start by using the vehicle as you wish, and note the limitations. Don't assume the stock vehicle won't meet your needs.

Cmspears

I agree with CreeperSleeper. Start by using the vehicle as you wish, and note the limitations. Don't assume the stock vehicle won't meet your needs.

This is definitely something to listen to. I know that I am putting an ARB Deluxe bar up front for protection against Animal strikes, and branches coming for my headlights haha. As well as a place to mount a winch up front for clearing trails of obstructions and recovery. Beyond that maybe suspension to counteract the weight of the bar and gear/equipment while on the trail? Just thinking out loud here. I am very cautious of the "overbuilt" rig. Nothing is more useless than additional unnecessary weight. Not to mention more things to break or fail.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
More than likely an animal strike against the ARB and your vehicle is just as totaled as it was without it. Once it comes in on the radiator you are toast, and that's what the ARB is designed to do.

Cmspears

More than likely an animal strike against the ARB and your vehicle is just as totaled as it was without it. Once it comes in on the radiator you are toast, and that's what the ARB is designed to do.

What makes you say that? I understand what you are saying about the effects of radiator damage. But I am a bit lost about your concerns with the ARB bumper.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/72642-arb-bull-bar-vs-deer.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lugab0ehZM

Thanks for your insight though my friend!

p nut

butter
Remember an ARB bumper thrusts you down the rabbit hole. 150lb hunk of steel up front means you'll need shocks and springs to handle it. Which means you'll need to do the rears as well. Then do you also account for a rear bumper/tire carrier? If so, change out the rear suspension accordingly.

That's not cheap. Or, in my opinion, necessary.

JLee

Adventurer
Generally, the less you mess with the factory systems, the more reliable you'll be. I'd start with a good set of tires and then buy gas and go places.

Cmspears

Remember an ARB bumper thrusts you down the rabbit hole. 150lb hunk of steel up front means you'll need shocks and springs to handle it. Which means you'll need to do the rears as well. Then do you also account for a rear bumper/tire carrier? If so, change out the rear suspension accordingly.

That's not cheap. Or, in my opinion, necessary.

Would you mind explaining a bit more why you feel it is not necessary? Do you feel like the con's out weigh the benefits, and if so... what cons do you have a mind?

Thank you for the reply P nut!

p nut

butter
Would you mind explaining a bit more why you feel it is not necessary? Do you feel like the con's out weigh the benefits, and if so... what cons do you have a mind?

Thank you for the reply P nut!

Humans typically buy on emotion, not practicality. Which is why you see so many trucks on here with armor up the wazoo, yet have gone to no places to justify them. I'm not saying go unprepared, but stock, or near stock truck can go on a LOT of overlanding trips. Do you baselining (all regular maintenance up to date), good tires, and go at it. Go with a group, if you can. You'll then get to see what you might need (if at all) first hand without spending any money.

Cmspears

Humans typically buy on emotion, not practicality. Which is why you see so many trucks on here with armor up the wazoo, yet have gone to no places to justify them. I'm not saying go unprepared, but stock, or near stock truck can go on a LOT of overlanding trips. Do you baselining (all regular maintenance up to date), good tires, and go at it. Go with a group, if you can. You'll then get to see what you might need (if at all) first hand without spending any money.

Im following you on that one my friend. A stock 4x4 can get pretty damn far if you let it. Not to mention strapping on everything metal that you can buy for your vehicle being not only expensive (Upfront cost and increase in fuel cost) but also mechanically damaging from being over GVWR.

On the topic of the ARB... I ran one on my 4runner and I used the crap out of that thing. And it saved me some body work plenty of times with branches and the like hidden in the brush on some trails i've ran. Not to mention a mounting place for the winch. Which in itself can safe your life in some instances.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Personally for me, my build approach is going somewhat different than how I'd tackle it if I had bought new. Given that my Tacoma has 200,000km on it already, the suspension is tired.

So really, it's:
1 - Suspension
2 - Tires
3 - Sliders
4 - Bumpers

After that it'll probably be gears and lockers to run 35's.

If my truck were newer, I'd probably eliminate the suspension for a few years. Also, having a DCLB, I need the clearance as I've bottomed it out on stuff quite a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998