What is the order in which you'd build your Truck or Ute?

Dalko43

Explorer
So really, it's:
1 - Suspension
2 - Tires
3 - Sliders
4 - Bumpers

After that it'll probably be gears and lockers to run 35's.

If my truck were newer, I'd probably eliminate the suspension for a few years. Also, having a DCLB, I need the clearance as I've bottomed it out on stuff quite a few times.

That order isn't too far off from how I'd approach it. I do think lockers, especially rears, are a lot more relevant to realistic 4wd driving than most people realize, but that aside I agree that suspension and tires are usually they quickest and cheapest ways to see mild improvements over your stock 4wd capabilities (keeping in mind that your suspension setup is heavily dependent on how much weight you plan on putting into your rig).

Honestly op, drive your Tacoma in stock form for a bit and get a feel for what its good at and what it needs work at...then go from there. I've been telling myself for the past year or so that I need to add this mod or that to my 4runner. The fact is it has gotten me into, and out of, all the areas I like to go with little to no modifications. I'd have to drive 3-4 hours to find an area where I would legitimately need sliders and huge lift....so I've been very slow to add much to it.

lathamb

Observer
I agree that, at least for my travels, close to stock is best. I bought my 4 Runner with a mild lift, so that was done. What I have done since are:

Fridge
Tires (AT/just one step up from stock in size)
Dual Battery/Fuse Block
Inverter
CB Radio

I have bent a running board, and have already missed having at least a rear locker, so slides and a locker are next. But that will probably be it. I believe i will forego the front bumper this time, and if i do a winch it will be removable.

JLee

Adventurer
I agree that, at least for my travels, close to stock is best. I bought my 4 Runner with a mild lift, so that was done. What I have done since are:

Fridge
Tires (AT/just one step up from stock in size)
Dual Battery/Fuse Block
Inverter
CB Radio

I have bent a running board, and have already missed having at least a rear locker, so slides and a locker are next. But that will probably be it. I believe i will forego the front bumper this time, and if i do a winch it will be removable.

That's basically my specific plans for my GX, but instead of removable winch I'm going with a hidden winch. I'll hold off on a locker for a while - I haven't needed one yet.

irish_11

Explorer
Ham radio (already had this), Sliders, Tires, Suspension (you can get a set of take off 2016/2017 Tacoma front coils and get 1.5" of lift for around $150-200 off CL), and armor was the order I went in. No regrets there. Since then I have added a canopy, fridge, and eventually when I hit 90k on the stock suspension an OME 2.5" lift with Dakar leafs.

19060063_10102285482147510_6241692550581619226_n.jpg

Nvydvr

Forget all the lifts, sliders and other stuff. For me I would start like this...

#1 Safety = First aid kit, fire extinguisher, cargo tie downs, communications etc
#2 Reliability = Starter battery isolation (EG: Dual battery), Tool kit, spares kit, tyre repair & inflation
#3 Convenience = Smart storage ideas, additional lighting, power sockets
#4 Front end protection from animal strikes which can leave you stranded
#5 Get out and enjoy and upgrade things as you see fit from there

No point having all the bolt on stuff if you haven't got the basics sorted.

tlrols

I suggest you start as follows:

1. Stop: Brakes, tires, and suspension.
2. Steer: Suspension, ball joints, tie-rods, steering system
3. Start: Engine and electrical. Tune up. Battery. Starter

After the three "S's" I would start looking at armor, etc. The best braking system you can put together is the FIRST thing you want to be sure of. That includes an alignment, etc. Really getting that rig to near new like quality in the basics is the best start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998