What is this before the diff?

86scotty

Cynic
It probably has a good resale value used.

I agree with that, but I'd leave it. How often do you bang your driveshaft on a rock? I offroad a bit but I don't crawl in my van and can only see benefits in having a driveshaft disconnect. Those things are high dollar. If you do remove it you can make a buck or two.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I look at the rub blocks and the slip ring as moving parts with no lube, out in the fairly nasty environment under a vehicle, spinning at thousands of RPM and if it fails you are stuck. It is designed to disconnect the driveshaft for a need that you don't have. I just see this as a late Saturday night on the side of a highway with a hammer trying to pound the clutch ring back into engagement as the teeth are slightly rounded as it slipped out under load, a supply of zip ties and half a roll of duct tape to hold this contraption engage long enough to make it to the next big town and having to fix it a couple of times as you get there. Only to wait a couple of days for someplace to open that can get you the parts (at a very non discounted rate) to delete this thing. Or just fix it now and not have to wait time bomb to go off in a couple of years when you really need to be someplace and find you don't get there.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Perhaps you could find someone willing to trade you a stock drive shaft for that one... perhaps some cash in the mix.

At a minimum, I'd service it to minimize the chance of failure.

caideN

I'll do some research on failure rate. Initially search showed positive reviews.

I don't have any need for it but the next owner might. I don't plan to keep my van forever.

I'll definitely clean it per the manual.

caideN

You could really be in a world of pain if you smashed that thing on a rock.

It would take like 30 minutes to remove it and replace with a normal driveshaft, you must be impressively lazy.

Or I don't have the tools and place to work on my van. I wish I did though. I imagine it would cost a pretty penny to remove if I took it to a shop.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
the most expensive part should be the new (rebuilt) driveshaft.
then it's less than 1hr labor at any competent shop.

I'd say odds are that it'll fail in the stuck working mode.. though parts never jiggle tight.. it's always loose.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If it wont see trails then fine leave it, but if that ever tagged a rock it would twist itself intoa pretzel around the ds and you'd be going nowhere. Understandable that you dont have the tools or place. Just something to plan ahead for the possibility.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
lol, ive had my van 4 years now and have taken it most every place Ive wanted to go. places where people looked at me and asked how the hell I got our rig to that spot and I have never even come close to hitting my driveline on anything. so unless you are seriously pressing the issue on where you go camping, I highly doubt your going to smash it on something. that said, it is a suspect looking little contraption to say the least, but if its held up to however many miles are on your rig, its got to be at least somewhat reliable. as far as swapping it out, that really is a very basic process that needs very little tooling. simple tools you should probably carry in your rig at all times anyway... however, I cant honestly say if you can just throw a stocker driveline in a 4wd van or not. might depend on what company converted it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
OP doesn't mention 4wd... If it is, it has a 2nd driveshaft to limp him home if need be... It'd be less of a concern if 4wd. Service, cut off excess bolts, and move on.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ 100% correct. my bad assumption and judging by first few pix, no off road tires. would be curious how many miles were on this setup though. if he doesn't plan on keeping the rig for all that long, he could be right in saying it might add value to someone who needed a campervan to tow behind a big rv. dunno, if it aint broke and he doenst spend much time off road in the van, id prolly leave it in place too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger