What just broke on my Rover?

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
Lads, any help would be much appreciated.

I was parked at a stop sign. As I ventured into the middle of the street, my 94 Classic started to shift from 1st to 2nd. As it did, there was a loud "thunk" sound followed by a high pitched whirring. Forward progress slowed as no power from the engine was being transferred to the wheels.

I took my foot off the accelerator and the whirring stopped. Foot back on, more whirring and no forward progress.

I think I just ate the gearbox. What are your thoughts?

REDROVER

Explorer
Half shaft is broken sounds like all the power is being transferred on to that broken shaft and rover is not moving

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
Half shaft is broken sounds like all the power is being transferred on to that broken shaft and rover is not moving

Hopefully. That should be cheaper than a new transmission, no?

Last week, the motor mounts broke causing the fan to work sporadically. Think that's connected?

REDROVER

Explorer
If it's the half shaft it definitely much cheaper than transmission or transfer case, and if it's any one of the rear shafts u can change it in about 5 min. If u had LT230 transfer case u could lock it and drive ( assuming its the half shaft that is broken ) but on borg Warner I don't know how u can check . May be one of the guys in here knows how to check.. But one way to check is lift the front tires up and turn one side of the wheel and see if the other side turns,if it does then shafts are ok. Then do the same in the back .

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Get a helper. Start the truck, put it in gear, foot off the brake, give it a little gas and have your helper observe the rear drive shaft. (No, not while laying under the truck though). If the shaft is turning then you most likely have an issue with a half shaft or the differential. If the drive shaft isn't turning then you have to start looking at the transmission or transfer case. This is a quick way of narrowing your search for the broken component.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
If it's the half shaft it definitely much cheaper than transmission or transfer case, and if it's any one of the rear shafts u can change it in about 5 min. If u had LT230 transfer case u could lock it and drive ( assuming its the half shaft that is broken ) but on borg Warner I don't know how u can check . May be one of the guys in here knows how to check.. But one way to check is lift the front tires up and turn one side of the wheel and see if the other side turns,if it does then shafts are ok. Then do the same in the back .

The viscous in the Borg Warner will lock up automatically if there's a broken shaft, etc. just like it would if there were wheel slippage fore or aft. So, my money is on a broken chain in the transfer case, or something else related.

REDROVER

Explorer
True Borg Warner locks itself . But most of the time we hear about stretched chain , but to snap like that ? I guess everything is possible

David Harris

Expedition Leader
True Borg Warner locks itself . But most of the time we hear about stretched chain , but to snap like that ? I guess everything is possible

Broken chains are rare, and I've never seen one personally. However, some on here have reported one. The Borg Warner is a pretty strong box for what it is, and its advantages are under appreciated.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I would check for a broken half shaft. Also, don't count on a 1994 viscous center diff still functioning.

Arlo

Adventurer
Put the transfer case back in gear !

Yepp!
13876996ly.gif

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I too think its an axle shaft.

That could only be it if the center viscous isn't locking anymore. And the viscous would have to be completely gone. The original one on my 92 still locked up fine. Who knows until you examine the driveshaft and axle operation?

REDROVER

Explorer
Won't it be funny if it just popped out of the gear and t case is in neutral :-D that happens often to lt230 during off road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998