What tire size?

magarnigel

I'm just getting started on overlanding and am trying to find something out. I am wondering what tire size would be better, 33's or 35's? I don't play on the rocks at all but I do take water crossings where a little hight wouldn't be bad. What size do most prefer?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
There's really not a whole lot of difference between 33 and 35, the 35s will only give you an inch more clearance beneath your differentials. I'd recommend driving your rig stock for a while then deciding.

magarnigel

Thanks. I'm running 31's right now and haven't run into too many clearance problems but it's time for new tires and so I'm weighing the options. It's starting to seem like the cost vs benefit isn't really worth it for me to go to 35's.

Warhead

Adventurer
just remember with 33s or 35s you will want to re-gear that can be $$$$ if you have to have a shop install them. just my $.02

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
- running 35" tires on your stock Dana 35 axle is not a good idea
- TJ brakes are barely suitable for 33s
- gears
- more lift needed

alosix

Expedition Leader
Having spent a good bit of time on both sizes in my TJ I'll say this

1.) It wheels better with the 35s then it did with the 33s, by a good bit. Aired down they have a larger contact patch and just seem to work better.

It took a lot of work to get it happy with the 35s on the road and for reliability compared to the 33s.

33s are a lot easier to fit, and overall easier on the wallet. It wheeled well in this configuration as well. It would do any trail that I would take a street/trail jeep on.

Now with the 35s, it ventures into that area where the buggies go. It can't keep up with the buggies, but it does well enough for me to want to try. Not 100% sure that's a good thing :)

Eric S.

Adventurer
I'd go with 33" for general purpose wheeling. If it's not a Rubicon upgrading the rear axle is a minimum. The Dana 35 it barely adiquate with stock tires.

x32792

Adventurer
I guess I should be a little more specific. I have a an 03's tj with 4.0 and 5 speed.

I've driven my stock '01 4L TJ with 30x9.5 Dunlop Radial Rovers thousands of miles across America on dirt and gravel with no issues.

Someone has suggested you run stock to find out how you use your Jeep before going to larger tires and I 2nd this recommendation.

One thing leads to another:

Lifts, linkage, fender modifications, heavier 'gate' for your spare, possible restricted turning radius, re-gearing, heavier axles, decreased gas milage and so on...

Warhead

Adventurer
One thing leads to another:

Lifts, linkage, fender modifications, heavier 'gate' for your spare, possible restricted turning radius, re-gearing, heavier axles, decreased gas milage and so on...

that is why they call it a "J.E.E.P."
Just Empty Every Pocket

:smiley_drive:

JPK

Explorer
On my LJ I run 33x10.5's (255/85/16's) in the BF Goodrich M/T KO - the original M/T's - and have been very happy with them. They do not offer this tire in any other size than the stock JK Rubicon size anymore, but they now offer the KM2 in that size, which is reportedly a better all around tire.

There are some other brand 255/85/16's too, and they all seem to have a good reputation.

You will need some lift to fit 33's without rubbing the rear finder well. About 3" will cure the rub. A very little bit of contact at full turn with the stock Rubicon wheels.

JPK

madizell

Explorer
For overlanding, per se, 32's are about all you need. If you can fit 33's without trimming and lifting, fine. Running anything larger than stock is going to have an immediate impact on driveability including fuel consumption, available power, alignment management, speedo errors, additional unsprung weight, and so on.

So it depends on what you really want to do with your vehicle. Overlanding and more recreational off-road driving are not really the same thing. Most of the roads and trails covered in overlanding can be done in stock trim, so tall tires are not generally needed, nor do they necessarily add anything to your ability to enjoy vehicle-based exploration and camping.

If you go back only about 15 years, you would find that most folks thought 31x10.5 tires were HUGE, and every trail on the planet was covered with tires no larger than that. I crossed the Talkeetna Mountains in central Alaska in 1997 on 31x10.5 BFG MT's on a trail that had up to that point never been done with a street legal vehicle. It was not a problem.

Personally, I feel tall tires are irrelevant to overlanding, and that for the purpose, a narrow 32 inch tire is about all you will ever need. If you are now running 31's and not having problems getting where you need to go, I would not change size just to change size.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Like minds...

I've "designed" my Jeeps around commonly available sizes, that is, the tires run by common pick-up trucks that you can get a replacement tire without special order. In North America that tends to be 265/75-16, 285/75-16 so that is what I run.

magarnigel

Hey thanks for all the input everyone. This definitely gives me a lot to think about.
I just recently installed metalcloak fenders on my jeep and was planning on a 2" lift mainly to level it out and give me a little more flex. It seems that 33's will probably be more than enough tire for me, especially since this is also my daily driver.
I was thinking of switching my d35 out and replacing it with an 8.8 with 4.10 gears instead of regearing my d35. Would this be a wise decision or should I use that money elsewhere on the vehicle?

wacker

Observer
Just wanted to chime in as well as I have a tj on 36's and one on 33's. Really keep it lower. The wife's tj was on 33's for about a year with a two inch lift. Very nice but without regearing it was a bit of a dog on the highway. Now with 31's for the last year, it is my favorite setup to drive. My tj with 36's or on 35's was great offroad as it was longarmed, locked and geared appropriate. That being said, I kind of hate driving it. Way too much work and money to keep it reliable and comfortable on the street. 31's and 2 inch lift is great and handles like a rocket ship. Best tj setup for long distance hands down.

Hope that helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78