What To Do? GX or Taco

TexGX

Explorer
Hello All,

I need your help to decide what would be the best option. I currently own a 2004 GX470 with KDSS. I love the truck and think it would make a great expedition style truck. I know DownUnder it is called the Prado Land Cruiser 120 and is seen as a great off-roader. I have taken it off-road several times and know it can handle most anything stock. I figured with a few mods, I could have a great truck. I have found a local shop that can make all the main parts I would need(bumpers, sliders and roof rack). So the question is what support do I have for other products? I would like to put a small lift up front and find a way for the rear air bags to stay at the high level all the time. I know that most 4Runner parts should work, but with the KDSS and electric shocks I do not know for sure.

The other option would be to trade it in on a new tacoma. I like the idea of a truck. I love what some of you have done to yours. It seems that there is a lot of product support.

What would you do?

TexGX

Links of GX in action

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19305
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17848

cid 96

Observer
keep the GX

I own a '07 Tacoma 4x4 offroad package, double cab, but had an '06 v8 sport pkg. 4x4 4runner. I liked the 4runner the best, b/c of the V8 engine and the rear coil spring. I don't know about after market support, but you could talk to TRDParts or someone like Slee Offroad.

Sid

TexGX

Explorer
Sid,

Thanks for the information.

Is there anyone out there that has messed with a GX? I know that FourWheeler mag did a project with a GX. I am leaning towards keeping the GX.

TexGX

lexwoody

Adventurer
The GX is the finest trail expedition vehicle w/ lux out there next to the LX470 and 570. Nothing can top these.

3302252943_48bc3fca00.jpg

3287226251_54586de531.jpg

Applejack

Explorer
I'd stay with the Lexus, just to be different. I know the aftermarket is small but, add some armor and some tires and your ready to go.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Lex GX's are sweet! It would be awesome to have one as a expo vehicle. I say stick with it, unless you need to have a truck.

lexwoody

Adventurer
The toyota 120 platform is: 4Runner, FJ Cruiser (5" shorter in wheelbase), Prado, and Lexus GX. Pretty much any suspension equipment would fit all above. GX and Prado has more electric nannys and features and make it a little turf for some componets . But, overall they will share some after maket armor. Execpt for FJ's.

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
I thank everyone for thier options. I think I will work with the GX. One of the main reasons would be buying a brand new Taco and adding aftermarket items. I would hate to void the warranty right off the bat. The GX is paid for, so I can start playing with it very soon. I need to get my wife anther car.

So the next question would be what to do with it? What do I need to make it a great expedition truck?

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
Lexwoody,

How do you like your tires? Do you have KDSS? Could you give me a run down of what you have done?

TexGX

lexwoody

Adventurer
Lexwoody,

How do you like your tires? Do you have KDSS? Could you give me a run down of what you have done?

TexGX

Pre KDSS

1. Install VSC off switch
2. Indepedent fog light mod
3. 255/75R 17 BF Mud AT km (great)
4. I going to install Daystar's 1.25" spacer front and adjust height sensor 1/4'' for the rear.

GX has the same platform as the 4Runner and Prado over sea. Guys on www.toyota120.com some say a 4th Genuration bumper will fit with some triming and some say it wouldn't. Under body will fit. Its the same as the 4Runner again exept for the KDSS that will make hard to get sliders on.

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
Lexwoody,

What is the main reason for the VSC off switch? I know tires are the number one thing I could do to add more capability. How are you going to go about adjusting the rear sensors? Finding sliders has been an issue, but I just found a local company that can make anything I would like. I am saving pics of bumpers, sliders and racks I like so we can use them to work off of.

TexGX

GTKrockeTT

Observer
I thank everyone for thier options. I think I will work with the GX. One of the main reasons would be buying a brand new Taco and adding aftermarket items. I would hate to void the warranty right off the bat. The GX is paid for, so I can start playing with it very soon. I need to get my wife anther car.

So the next question would be what to do with it? What do I need to make it a great expedition truck?

TexGX

i think you're making the right move, unless you absolutely needed the utility of a pickup. nothing like rolling in luxury when out in the wilderness.

if that was my GX, i'd add a mild lift and stuff some larger MTs on it as my first move, but nothing too extreme. sliders would be on my list as well, as it's one of the least expensive mods. just because i like to play it safe, especially when i'm out with the family, i'd look into loading her up with a custom front bumper and winch, dual battery setup. man...i'd love to have a GX!:smiley_drive:

that said, i think it's already a good expedition truck, and it won't take much to make it a great expedition truck.

lexwoody

Adventurer
Lexwoody,

What is the main reason for the VSC off switch? I know tires are the number one thing I could do to add more capability. How are you going to go about adjusting the rear sensors? Finding sliders has been an issue, but I just found a local company that can make anything I would like. I am saving pics of bumpers, sliders and racks I like so we can use them to work off of.

TexGX

TexGX,

First, I just wanted to say welcome to the Lexus club. Its going to be a great build. Second to answer the question reguarding the VSC off swith I install is for driving in snow and mud without locking the center diff and get full engine respones with out the VSC computer cutting in and taking engine power when you need it most. VSC is good for corning and help keeping the vehicle from going out of control (fish tailing).Trac control is good in straight lines that works parrellal with A-Trac that is good all the time. All these system works with ABS system with is the nosie you hear when any of these systems are being ran. The rear can be adjusted by extening the rods between the axle and height sensor about 1/4" or so.

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
GTKrockeTT,

I think we are thinking the same thing. I will need to research the lift. I would only want enough to get a little bit bigger tire. I plan on changing out the bumpers pretty soon after I get the wife something else. This should stop the tires from rubbing the normal places and I want to get the tire out from under the rear. The running boards will be the first to go. I hate them things. I will be getting a custom pair of sliders made. The more I look at the other options, the GX is still my favorite.

lexwoody,

Could you post how you installed the VCS off switch. I would like to see that. I have done the mod that lets the passager watch a movie in the front. I would guess that this would be similiar.

TexGX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12