What to watch out for on a 3rd gen 4runner?

bikerjosh

Explorer
great resource for detailed info on all the different generations of 4Runners is available here.

at least the 3rd gen is free of the headgasket issue(s) that plagued the 2nd gen... ask me how i know!

The bigger motors and lack of HG issues was a big draw toward the third gen for me.
josh

RusM

Adventurer
Thanks everyone.
RusM- too funny, I drooled over your 4runner for a longtime on the yota forum, but the dents(yes trival maybe, but if there are going to be dents I want to have put them there) and mileage kind of bummed me out.
No problem, just put that up there to show you what is available for the money.

Rig has 142k, timing belt done at 70k so I'm guessing it needs to be done again.
Overflow tank liquid is not milkshake like, fair amount of oil under motor on belly pan (really a sheen) when looking down the passenger side. Diff Lock engaged as it should as well as 4H and 4L, slight shimmy/vibration at 45 feels like the tires although wear looked even, pulsing in front brakes in light to med application (likely needs new pads and rotors?) Looked undereath no sign of trail mishaps, and back of rear drums were dirty, but did not look as though the rear seals/bearings had gone. Owner (second one) has only owned the truck for 1.25 years, and doesn't know if anything was done with the rear axles or seals previous to his buying it from a Bay Area dealer.

Asking 8k, which seems high given it needs new tires, timing belt and possibly brakes. Thoughts?
thanks Josh

I bought my truck with 40k more miles and none of those issues for $3500 less.

toy_tek

Adventurer
Rig has 142k, timing belt done at 70k so I'm guessing it needs to be done again.
Overflow tank liquid is not milkshake like, fair amount of oil under motor on belly pan (really a sheen) when looking down the passenger side. Diff Lock engaged as it should as well as 4H and 4L, slight shimmy/vibration at 45 feels like the tires although wear looked even, pulsing in front brakes in light to med application (likely needs new pads and rotors?) Looked undereath no sign of trail mishaps, and back of rear drums were dirty, but did not look as though the rear seals/bearings had gone. Owner (second one) has only owned the truck for 1.25 years, and doesn't know if anything was done with the rear axles or seals previous to his buying it from a Bay Area dealer.

Asking 8k, which seems high given it needs new tires, timing belt and possibly brakes. Thoughts?
thanks Josh

Were the rear drums wet dirty or dry dirty? Wet dirty = you need seals. Dry dirty and no documentation of a change = you will eventually need seals.

Front rotors are a definite.

8k seems high.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
thanks Josh

That useless hood scoop adds at least a grand to the price.

Not kidding, it really does.

I paid $7999 for my '99 SR5 in 2009. It had 117k on it at that time and the timing belt had NOT been changed out (the 3.4 is a non-interference engine so this isn't as big a deal on the 4runner as it might be on other vehicles.) Mine is also an SR5/auto/3.4 with the rear locker.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay $8k for something with 142k on it. Maybe $6500. But that's just me.

As for the tranny, check the dipstick. If the fluid isn't fresh you will probably want to do a flush and refill. Also note that the tranny dipstick is a major PITA to get back in.

Oil filter relocated? Why? It's not really that hard to get to. I just did my first oil change on the 4runner a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty easy. I did drop the skid plates but after checking with some folks on t4r I discovered that you can access the filter through the left wheel well pretty easily if you have long arms (I do.)

As for t4r.org not having much valuable info, that may apply to the main board but the 3rd gen sub-board has a lot of good stuff on it. Quite a few off-roaders on that board. On the main board - not so much.

bikerjosh

Explorer
my 4runner search

So after looking/driving four different 4runners over this last week I have a question about the rear locker.
What does it mean when the rear locker light blinks but never turns solid; other than it hasn't engaged?
Both 4runners were in 4L. Both the owners had never used the locker before.
Josh:coffee:

Trail100

Observer
ECU thinks it's not engaged, either locker is stuck or switch on locker housing is bad. The switch just tells the ECU that the locker has engaged and they go out sometimes, the axle will still actually be locked if just the switch is bad and you should be able to feel a difference, especially in a tight turn on a hard surface.

Applejack

Explorer
So after looking/driving four different 4runners over this last week I have a question about the rear locker.
What does it mean when the rear locker light blinks but never turns solid; other than it hasn't engaged?
Both 4runners were in 4L. Both the owners had never used the locker before.
Josh:coffee:

If the lockers never were engaged they get sticky. Drive it forward or backward slowly. Most times this does the trick, if not tapping the e-locker motor with a block of wood can free up the sticking fork.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If the lockers never were engaged they get sticky. Drive it forward or backward slowly. Most times this does the trick, if not tapping the e-locker motor with a block of wood can free up the sticking fork.

I was just going to suggest this as well. If you're just sitting still and waiting for the E-locker to engage, sometimes it won't. However, drive a little distance and the light should go solid. Also note that the ABS light will be lit because ABS is disabled when the locker is on.

Tacoma4life

Ok, please keep the flaming to a min. Can someone point in the direction of an existing thread or info on what to look for in a used 3rd generation 4runner? After looking over all the options a 97-00 4Runner is going to fit the bill. What should I be looking out for, I know the general timing belt, h20 pump but what other deferred maint issues are going to hurt me?
By the way looking for a 3.4, 4x4,AT and locker.
thanks Josh:coffeedrink:

These are possibly one of the most reliable vehicles ever. Here's an odometer pic from a 99 I just saw. It's a total loss collision rollover. Unfortunate an accident took it off the road...

f21c4d9f.jpg

bikerjosh

Explorer
4runner search

That's encouraging, Tacoma4life

Still looking, I know if I'm patient the right one will pop up. Reading all these build threads is making it tough to wait. Heading to DV next week, for some off roading with the motorcycle; wish I already found a 4runner.
Josh

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Respectfully, I'd really only suggest T4R if you want to know how to paint wheels and tint windows.

If you want more technical info, check Yotatech.com

I bought my 97 with 49k and have 184k on it now. The posts in this thread pretty much covered the major issues, which really aren't too major. Rear axle seals, front brake rotors, steering rack bushings.

Assuming that because you are posting here that you will be taking it off road regularly. One thing that you will need to do soon is a rear diff breather extension. It will clog with mud and blow the already finky rear axle seals. Transmission cooler has already been mentioned. A 1" body lift will make regular maintenance much easier.

There are lots of modifications that are out there that are great upgrades, and some that are not so great.

Tundra 231mm brakes - Great.
Heavier duty suspension upgrade - Great.
1" front diff drop - important with a lifted truck.
Budbuilt skids - Great.
Deckplate mod - some say it works, some say it doesn't. Probably not the greatest thing for a snorkel setup if you go that route.
Land Cruiser coils - wicked flex, dangerous ride. Better don't.
Panhard drop - Not necessary unless you go big with lift.

bikerjosh

Explorer
May have found one, thoughts

Ok, here's what I found. Thoughts?
2000 4runner, rear e-locker, AT, cloth interior, sport hood(scoop),
120k on truck, TRD S/C installed at 80k by dealer
timing belt done at 90k, body looks clean
3.5" racerunner coilovers, ARB like front winch bumper with pia's, performance exhaust, needs tires 2nd owner, original did all the work. Asking 9,900, might go for 9k. truck is out of state so I'd have to fly and drive, or fly home if it's not as represented.
thanks for your help.
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger