What winch will fit in a XJ ARB bumper?

AZTACO

Observer
I dont know much about winches, but this is what I came up with as my top pic:
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/57.htm.

And this is the best deal I found:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-98281-Synthetic-Aluminum-Fairlead/dp/B003CGBN3C"]http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-98281-Synthetic-Aluminum-Fairlead/dp/B003CGBN3C[/ame]

Am I on the right track?

Thanks, AZTACO

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I dont know much about winches, but this is what I came up with as my top pic:
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/57.htm.

And this is the best deal I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-98281-Synthetic-Aluminum-Fairlead/dp/B003CGBN3C

Am I on the right track?

Thanks, AZTACO

pretty sure that top one is the winch XJmike was looking at before I decided to sell mine. Bottom one seems like a really good deal, seeing how much they want for synthetic line and an aluminium fairlead these days.

I think you'll be really impressed with how nice these winches are. Very good instructions, connections, and quality for the money. And for a product I'm only going to use a couple times a year, at most, it's a good price point, IMO

AZTACO

Observer
Pics. I got the bumper for $125, a true craigslist score. The corners were cut by the previous owner and it was a little beat up. So I brushed off the rust and steel wooled it and painted it. I still need to reinstall the blinkers and the off road lights. AZTACO

BEFORE:

8432077.jpg

AFTER:

8432079.jpg

8432080.jpg

Warhead

Adventurer
If you search around I think you can get a good deal on a M8000 Warn, It will still be more then the others but not by much.

AZTACO could you post up some larger pics, I am having a hard time seeing those:Astrologist: :safari-rig:

;):ylsmoke:

AZTACO

Observer
Sorry I thought it would auto resize. If I am board later I'll fix it, if not then I guess you guys will have to buy bigger monitors. AZTACO

ExpoMike

You dog. what a steal!!!

You and mike are going to have matching cherokee's. His is white, too. :D

hahaha, you're right, twins. Even the same wheels but I think mine are the darker grey spokes versus the silver. :ylsmoke:

To confirm BigDaddy's comment, yes I was looking at the Smittybuilt with the syntetic line but with the Overland Expo discount, I was able to get BigDaddy's winch and bought Master Pull line for less overall. Without the discount, I would have bought the Smitty with the syn. line.

One thing to note, with the ARB, I was not able to use a Hawse fairlead unless I wanted to cut the opening for the line larger or something else to get the Hawse to mount. I used the stock ARB roller fairlead (which is not the same as the Smitty one. The Smitty one would not fit the ARB bracket). I'll change the rollers to plastic style ones.

wADVr

Adventurer
AZTACO

looks like the passenger side needs the treesaver trick and it will look like new again.

treesaver trick is simply looping the end of the treesaver over the bumper end and running over the strap to pull the bumper back down straight again. Would be amazed how well it works.(use 4low)

A standard hawse can be used but not without spacing the winch away from the bumper face to make way of the hawse mounting bolts. I did this by adding a 1/4" plate all the way across the inside of the bumper face to provide some strength after cutting off the roller fairlead bracing. Seen below.
I have seen some offset hawses out there, maybe masterpull has them that i would assume would eliminate the need for new holes and spacing issues by reusing the standard winch mounting location.

bored on Pritchett Canyon a few years ago:
TimB1.jpg

Last edited:

AZTACO

Observer
Thanks for the tip I will look into this. I tried to hammer and bend it out many different ways with no luck. I am just worried with the method that you suggested that it will put too much stress where the bumper bolts to the frame and bend something down there. AZTACO

AZTACO

looks like the passenger side needs the treesaver trick and it will look like new again.

treesaver trick is simply looping the end of the treesaver over the bumper end and running over the strap to pull the bumper back down straight again. Would be amazed how well it works.(use 4low)

A standard hawse can be used but not without spacing the winch away from the bumper face to make way of the hawse mounting bolts. I did this by adding a 1/4" plate all the way across the inside of the bumper face to provide some strength after cutting off the roller fairlead bracing. Seen below.
I have seen some offset hawses out there, maybe masterpull has them that i would assume would eliminate the need for new holes and spacing issues by reusing the standard winch mounting location.

bored on Pritchett Canyon a few years ago:
TimB1.jpg

AZTACO

Observer
hahaha, you're right, twins. Even the same wheels but I think mine are the darker grey spokes versus the silver. :ylsmoke:

To confirm BigDaddy's comment, yes I was looking at the Smittybuilt with the syntetic line but with the Overland Expo discount, I was able to get BigDaddy's winch and bought Master Pull line for less overall. Without the discount, I would have bought the Smitty with the syn. line.

One thing to note, with the ARB, I was not able to use a Hawse fairlead unless I wanted to cut the opening for the line larger or something else to get the Hawse to mount. I used the stock ARB roller fairlead (which is not the same as the Smitty one. The Smitty one would not fit the ARB bracket). I'll change the rollers to plastic style ones.

Thanks for the help, and again sorry about not buying your bumper the deal on this one was just too good to pass up. AZTACO

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Pics. I got the bumper for $125, a true craigslist score.

I am a computer nerd and I know a little bit of programming. I think I'm going to write a little script that will hit up my local CL a couple times a day and search for key terms (like ARB bull bar, or Jeep Cherokee or XJ, or anything) and then report back to me with what it finds. Craigslist is just cool but it only does you any good when can jump on the deals faster than everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman