What's new at Coyote RV/Phoenix Pop up?

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Big Stuff Coming!

Next project: It's been a very long time in the making. Tighter fit, more style, one of a kind features. The Pulse is coming! Will be complete this Thursday, and showing at the International Sportsman's Expo Denver Thursday Thru Sunday. You guys and girls are going to LOVE this one!!

I've got work to do!

pulse1.jpg

Hi America Overland,

In fact our (my family's) first camper was built for our own Scout II! Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of that old beast, but I do have a photo of one of our more recent Scout IIs, below.

The question I have is, how much are we talking? What is the advantage of going with this rather than a FWC costing about a third? Walk-through? The only way I could justify this is by seeing JP Morgan and HSBC going bankrupt and certain markets melting up in a supernova that will never be witnessed again by any human, past, present, or future.

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Scout II Camper Justification:

You definitely have a point there. The GOOD QUALITY fully equipped Phoenix Custom Unit for your Scout II, including our exclusive Phoenix Easy Lift, the 20,000 btu automatic furnace, molded double sinks and electric water pump, couch that makes second bed, power converter, battery system, 3 way refrigerator, under bed storage, adjustable electric push button air mattress, fantastic vent, triple layer insulated side liner, aluminum welded cage framed sheet fiberglass covered Pro-Flex construction, and full installation conversion..... $18,495

When we sold the 4 Wheel Camper name, back in about 1988, in order to streamline, speed up, and maximize production efficiancy, they decided to quit building the Blazer, Bronco, Scout, 4 Runner, Ramcharger, Trailduster, all other walk through models, Fleet II, Fleet S, Keystone, and all custom work. This might have changed in recent times because I don't really have extra time to keep an eye on other manufacturers, but what I have heard is that they are busy as can be building and selling their standard models, and that is great. I with them the best of luck. I don't ever bad mouth or put down competition. I just try to build my niche by providing products and services that are more personalized and custom fit.

So, whenever someone is wrestling with "justifying the cost" of a unit on their vehicle. The answer is that folks come to us when they want to fit a vehicle that they just really LOVE. It's why you sometimes spend $500 on a nice dress that your wife might only wear one time. There might be 1000 logical reasons not to spend that money, but You Love here and she's so worth it.

Last edited:

wannaby

Adventurer
The price is within the balpark considering something like this http://www.xpcamper.com/price-specs.html starts at 23000.00 and yours is a custom fit for most suv type vehicles .....Myself I would have to win the lottery to buy anyone of these thing is i still couldnt see cuttung up my perfectly good ford escape to have a non removable camper unit ...its like ya say ya gotta really love your vehicle to do that to it...me ill take my old chevy truck and throgh an old pop up on it... thats more my style ....you have a good nich and a good product and good luck with it ...and keep us updated with picks and info....Den

jorgy

Cost

I think that is a decent explanation on costs. Mayny things aren't "worth" it. Ever owned a boat? Boats are awesome, and they can be very affordable, particularly if you buy a used 16-18 foot aluminum boat with a tiller outboard. However, you can also get something much more expensive. Options add up. Start looking at custom sailboats--weekender style. The option prices alone will be shocking.

The XP camper is pretty awesome, but the $23,000 starting price is a shell with no installation. You need a flat-bed too...

The good value is a FWC or ATC used @5-12 years. Not beat, fits most modern trucks, etc. If you want something with a bit more headroom, or a different bed/couch/fridge/whatever, these are pretty nice. BTW, once you add all the options to a new ATC, you wont be far off...

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
I.S.E. Show Unveiling Thursday.

Ok, almost there now... It's been the craziest few months around here. We have been building our first 2011 all new unit called the PULSE (personal ultra-lite living and sleep extension) with all the new exclusive performance oriented Phoenix features for this year. I've posted a few build pix, but we're so close now and there are lots of folks paying for tickets to the show, I will now wait to post more pictures and information, until we have the official release. We will build about 29 more this year, and 3 are already sold!

We will unveil the new P.U.L.S.E. Thursday afternoon at the Denver I.S.E. Show! If you live far away, or just can't make the show, pictures and build information to come!! :drool:

Everyone come and down and say hi, at the Colorado Convention Center. I hear that Hallmark, Outfitter, 4Wheel, and more will be there!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Thank You

I think that is a decent explanation on costs. Mayny things aren't "worth" it. Ever owned a boat? Boats are awesome, and they can be very affordable, particularly if you buy a used 16-18 foot aluminum boat with a tiller outboard. However, you can also get something much more expensive. Options add up. Start looking at custom sailboats--weekender style. The option prices alone will be shocking.

The XP camper is pretty awesome, but the $23,000 starting price is a shell with no installation. You need a flat-bed too...

The good value is a FWC or ATC used @5-12 years. Not beat, fits most modern trucks, etc. If you want something with a bit more headroom, or a different bed/couch/fridge/whatever, these are pretty nice. BTW, once you add all the options to a new ATC, you wont be far off...

Jorgy,

Thank you for your analogy. Being in this business for so long, sometimes it's hard to see things from the customer's perspective. In the last year, more than ever, I have been taught that "you get what you pay for." And my father will be very mad at me when he reads this, because he tried to teach me this lesson ALL MY LIFE, and I just tried to prove him wrong. We were delivering a camper out to Main, around Christmas time last year when our old truck's transmission took a digger. We found an Aamco who offered to install a rebuilt outomatic trans in our 97 Chevy for $1600, with an Aamco 1 year warranty. Long story short, the trans lasted one year and 5 days before it exploded. The shop that installed the trans is out of business, and the corporate office said "tough luck, should have called us last week." Then, we found out that the first shop should have charged us twice as much, and it turns out that they actually gave us a USED TRANSMISSION, not a rebuilt.

So, that was the straw that broke this camel's back.... you get what you pay for.

Oh, and by the way, there are just a few great used PHOENIX POP UP campers out there too (not many though, since we only build about 25 new ones each year, and we hope that folks love them and hold on to them). We also carry most parts, accessories, and repair pieces for our old Four Wheel Campers, and Phoenix's. So, watch your craigslist!

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Regarding the cost……The reality is this is an expensive hobby, addiction or whatever you want to call it. I have a million dollars (or at least that is what the wife says) tied up into a 33 year old GM truck that has been an never-ending purpose built project vehicle for the past 16 years. I will never get my money out of this truck if I ever sell it but that is okay, because I am committed to this truck and never plan to sell it anyway. In the end, it is now built better than any new truck you could by new from any manufacturer. I built it to satisfy my wants and needs and that is all that matters. For that reason, I chose to take the plunge to have a Phoenix camper custom built for it further suit my wants and needs. Some would say I am crazy for spending this kind of money on a new camper for a 33 year old truck. Well, I guess I am crazy then! :sombrero:

I have studied Rob and Cari's operation for over a year and have met with them in person. They are great people with a clean operation and what I have seen….outstanding products. I chose a Phoenix Camper over FWC based on several different reasons. 1) Coyote RV is a local Colorado company 2) Coyote RV is a small family owned business with a great history behind them. By visiting with them, it is obvious they genuinely care about their customers and show passion for their products. 3) Phoenix campers look well built. Perhaps, over built but yet still light weight and their customization flexibly is practically endless. 4) FWC simply look and feel out of date and I am not going to spend thousands of dollars on a 1970's looking corrugated aluminum sided camper with seams on every corner. 5) FWC showed very little interest in speaking with me at the 2010 Denver Expo. In fact, the owner of FWC wondered off while we were talking. I wish I could say the booth was crawling with other people but it wasn't. It was just me, the FWC Ambassador and Ted?

By April this truck will be sporting a new Phoenix on the back!
4224473486_bb97fddc71_b.jpg

By the way, I have a really nice SnugTop topper for sale! It needs to find a new home so I can make room for the Phoenix Camper that is in the hopper. Linky> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54270

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
That is a very nice truck! Look forward to seeing it with the new camper. Please post lots of pictures.

18seeds

Explorer
Went to the Sportsmans Expo today and stopped by the Phoenix booth. The Pulse is a pop up camper attached to a Jeep Unlimited 4door with Hemi. It didn't look 100% finished but it was def pretty cool. Painted green to match the Jeep. I'm curious on how well the jeep handles with the camper on it. They also had the Zebra Cherokee there. It's nice to see something other than short bed and long bed campers

Sorry no pics

Hallmark and FWC with their usual campers. I am always amazed on the fit and finish of a Hallmark.

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Phoenix PULSE

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of you who came down, spent the money to get in, and took the time to make the International Sportsman's Expo such a HUGE success this year. It was really fun to take the time to talk with so many of our loyal customers from years gone by, and all of the future Phoenix Pop up owners too!

The first PULSE has now been displayed, and it seamed to be a real big hit!

P.U.L.S.E. is really just a new name for all of our new custom units. PULSE stands for Personal Ultra-light Living Sleeping Extension. We are trying to break the old "camper" mold. The new units are exciting and new, so they needed a new name that is a little more exciting and fresh. Every new unit we make (sold after Jan 1, 2011) is a P.U.L.S.E. Slogan to go along with it.... "Give your vehicle a P.U.L.S.E."

Since we are now embracing our custom offerings, we decided to push hard and complete one of our more exciting innovations, which we've built a number of, but never actually "displayed." As a fellow reader writer mentioned above, we started on this unit over 3 months ago, but came up just a few hours short on completion. The rear door jam sections were not installed yet. I do appologize for this.

So, this our very first 2011 P.U.L.S.E. was built on a 2008 Wrangler 4 door Unlimited, which is owned by "Nemesis Industries." Nemesis makes some of the very best body armor for jeeps, and a number of additional jeep accessories and upgrades. We were honored to show their jeep and quality products along with our new P.U.L.S.E. I think it made a very attractive combination! Plus, we displayed a nice Toyota Tacoma, and Li'l Z.

I am posting a couple of pictures here!

030.png

029.jpg

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Jk Pulse interior photos

Any photos of the interior of the JK PULSE???

Those photos are coming!...

Sorry, they are stored in the camera I had at the show, which is in a box of show stuff, that is still in Lil Z, which is down at the shop.

I will not be able to clean all of that up until Thursday, as I have to catch up on last week's work this first three days of this week.

In the mean time, I must have seen at least a hundred people take pix of the unit inside and out, at the show.

Anyone out there who did take pix, will you please shoot some over to me? My e-mail is coyoterv4u@yahoo.com Then I will post them up here. Or, if you are a member, just throw them on here!!

Thank You so much!!

kjp1969

Explorer
Rob,
Got any pics of full size Bronco campers to make me drool? I'd love one that has a sink and portapotty in the back, bed on the top, but retains the factory rear seat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan