What's new at Coyote RV/Phoenix Pop up?

pods8

Explorer
1. Find out what the customer wants inside and out on their custom PULSE. Get the vehicle in the shop, and measure measure measure, and make lots of patterns. Build a nice light weight and strong Welded aluminum cage frame construction, fiberglass sheeted, body shell.
029s.jpg

Question, is the wood panel built structure just a mold for the above mentioned fiberglass or is it left in place such that the camper is actually welded aluminum frame, wood sheeted, and then covered in fiberglass?

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Phoenix PULSE structure and frame.

Question, is the wood panel built structure just a mold for the above mentioned fiberglass or is it left in place such that the camper is actually welded aluminum frame, wood sheeted, and then covered in fiberglass?

Hi pods8,

What you are seeing is the completed Pro-Flex structure.
Once we are this far along in the build process, it is impossible to see exactly what it is made of, too many layers are fully covered up. But, I will be happy to describe how we achieve the strength and weight savings that are the benefits of our exclusive Pro-Flex construction.

1. The outside surface is the best sheet fiberglass available in the industry.
2. Next layer in is a thin 1/8" plywood with nylon strands woven between the layers for extra strength.
3. Then, you come to the center core which is the double welded aluminum tube cage frame, by double welding each structure joint we are transfering the flexation away from the joints and into the tube lengths instead. Extruded DOW polystyrene foam board is then tightly fit into the spaces between the frame studs. Around the perimeter of the frame is a thin pine strip, designed to give a place to receive staples and other fasteners for trimming purposes.
4. The final layer, the surface that covers the entire interior of the camper living space is a 1/8" real plywood layer with a vinyl washable face.
5. All of the layers are bonded with a specially formulated ruberized contact cement. This creates a true composite structure that is still fully flexible for off road use.

Our Pro-Flex construction is exclusive to and included on every Phoenix PULSE unit. It takes many times as much work and base material cost as other build methods, but we feel it is all worth it for the end result!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Does this mean that the original roll bar remains untouched?

As many mentioned before, really looking forward to some interior pics :drool:, even if they are of an un-finished or preliminary design.

Hi The Swiss,

You are correct, the PULSE unit is designed to closely wrap itself around the Jeep's stock roll cage. The whole idea is to have a nice, comfortable sleeping/living unit that you can easily add to your vehicle, without losing the things you LOVE about your vehicle.

I have discovered that the interior photos I took are NOT on my camera's memory card. And now that Green PULSE JK unit has riden of into the sunset. Two of my friends took interior pics, and they are going to send them to me very soon, I hope!!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Extra insulation

Funny you should post that last pic...

I was going to ask about the suitability of the roof and lift with a small boat loaded (on a fullsize longbox pu). What can you say to a guy who often feels as old as the gentleman in the photo?

Do you insulate the floor and under bed? Ever add "extra" insulation?

I'm trying to compare the thermal insulation and draft sealing of a standard unit to an older FWC. Any comment? (you can PM me)

Thanks,

Hi klahanie,

The roofs will support 2,000 lbs of snow, so they are very strong. Holding the conoes or kayaks is no problem at all, and we have a nice simple rack bar system available that receives Yakama or Thule toy attachments.

Typically you would just take your toys off of the roof when you arrive, then lift the roof for camping.
There is a nice device and technique that we use to more easily lift small weights on the roof. But, if you want to have a nice big aluminum fishing boat on the roof, and be able to raise and lower it with it up there, then you will want to order your Phoenix with the optional push button remote control automatic lift.

We do insulate the floors and under bed storages. Since we are truly custom built, there is also extra insulation available for every part of the unit. In fact, on Tuesday we are installing a nice custom unit on a truck from Canada. He ordered his with double insulated walls and liner, extra insulated floor, underbed storage and roof. I will post pictures of this unit and some custom specs, once we get it in the road!

Thank you for the interest and good questions!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Camper Weights

A message from Coyote RV, we are the makers of the Phoenix Custom PULSE camper units.

I have been confronted at least 10,000 times with the following:

How much will the camper weigh for my truck?

How does your camper's weight compare with ________?

I have a really light duty truck and I am affraid that my truck won't be able to handle one of these campers.

Please don't get me wrong, I totally understand why so many people ask these questions and make these comments. These campers do look heavier than they are, and when you sit or stand in your truck or SUV, it is so hard to imagine an entire living cabin fitting into your little vehicle, and then having it still be DRIVABLE!!

Also, there are A LOT of truck camper builders who live by the "bigger is better" belief. I mean a camper that is 8' wide, 8' tall, 11' long, and weighs 5,000 lbs is NOT okay to set on top of ANY truck you can buy off of a car dealer's lot, no matter what that RV salesman tries to tell you! And there a few pop up truck camper makers that are just about to this same point.

So, today I am adding to our website an extra page that I hope will outline my phylosophy about the "issue" of camper weight. Please let me know what you think. Here it is below:

POP-UP CAMPER WEIGHTS

Our intension is to build your camper to be as non-invasive to your vehicle as practically possible WHILE MAINTAINING the highest possible level of STRENGTH AND DURABILITY. Our frame structure is made of an all aluminum welded tubular cage frame. The exact same light weight framing materials as the industries VERY LIGHTEST WEIGHT campers made. If the particular custom Phoenix that you design for your vehicle ends up weighing more than another manufacturer's published weight, then YOU ARE GETTING A UNIT WITH MORE IN IT. We suggest that one does not obsess about the weight of the camper too much. A general rule of thumb is that if you design your unit standard Pheonix profile or low profile, and to fit it pretty tight to the overall length of your vehicle, and get your basic living needs inside, then your truck should handle the unit well, without suspension modifications. If you want a longer than the bed unit, A NON POP UP, or add extra big refrigerator, or restroom, shower, television, air conditioner, etc… then you will want to add “air bags” to your vehicle in order to optimize performance. You can get air bags installed at most reputable 4x4 accessory stores.

Last edited:

Terrainist

Explorer
Thanks for posting the Bronco photos. I am going to have to get one set up like that one day.

If you have any photos of the access from front seats (cab) to the camper, that pass thru cut out is crucial, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll quit pestering you. You have campers to build.

Your addendum to your website regarding camper weight looks fine to me. For buyers that don't live in a dream world, the weight of the camper is very important. Many a rig/traveling/camper setup has been made far less capable because they were too heavy. Even made useless because they were too heavy.

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Bronco Phoenix connection

Thanks for posting the Bronco photos. I am going to have to get one set up like that one day.

If you have any photos of the access from front seats (cab) to the camper, that pass thru cut out is crucial, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll quit pestering you. You have campers to build.

Your addendum to your website regarding camper weight looks fine to me. For buyers that don't live in a dream world, the weight of the camper is very important. Many a rig/traveling/camper setup has been made far less capable because they were too heavy. Even made useless because they were too heavy.

Well, unfortunately I don't have any photos of that pass through connection. I will briefly describe it for you though.

The connection is exactly the same as the original top. The camper is actually sculpted to emulate the shape of the Bronco's original top, curved at the front lower wall and all around the "tunnel" as well. It makes contact and seals to the built in rubber seals in all the same places as the factory top.

So, when you look into the camper from the bronco, there is no FRONT WALL visible from the front seats at all. The opening from the Bronco into the camper's living quarters is wide open, except for the front edge of the refrigerator cabinet on the driver's wall. Since you would not try and look over your left shoulder for changing lanes etc... you really don't even notice this. You can look over your right shoulder, out the big window on the passenger wall of the camper or the back door window for driving visibility.

This is the same for vertually all of our S.U.V. sleep unit conversions.

I hope this is helpfull.

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Thank You

Great.

Looking forward to seeing that, in particular how the plastic windows were treated.

News to me; interesting.

Regarding the Camper Weight post. Probably not what you meant but...I read that whole post thinking about liability to the company rather than a potential customer's concern over reduced vehicle performance. Leading me to suggest that if you bring up the subject of weight you might also consider including something about safe loading ultimately being the vehicle owner's responsibility.

Perhaps in future you could add the final weight of each new camper to your "database" of past builds. That would give new customers an idea of size and features vs weight.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to add a link to your website in your signature.:)

Thanks.
Cheers,

Thank you very much for the great ideas and suggestions... I will try to use them wisely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior